MHL hdmi/vga with OTG & charging cable build

OP flez1966

9th February 2013, 12:53 AM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 19

92 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01jacksonb.

Thats the exact same reason that I have been trying to make one.[...].

I actually restarted a thread like this in the S3 forum a few months back before I got my N2; I bought a lapdock because I acquired a bionic that I also use on a daily basis, so the bionic/dock combo has left me longing to have a better brain for the lapdock

There are a few threads on whether hdmi/otg/charge are possible which with the arrival of the smart dock, we know is possible - the real issue is making it possible in a cable form factor that's portable vs a dock (though, look at the clambook that's due to release and they're just going w/the dock principle)

the dock delivered today, so hopefully I'll get to testing this weekend!
9th February 2013, 04:06 PM   |  #22  
Flag Wilmslow
Thanks Meter: 5

13 posts
More
Re: MHL hdmi/vga with OTG & charging cable build
I have never heard of that laptop before, how universal is it, as most phones dont do USB OTG And HDMI at the same time. Does the keyboard and mouse connect via bluetooth?

Samsung have one called the spider dock. But I'm not sure if it's in production yet?
vr-zone.com/articles/can-a-smartphone-replace-a-laptop-meet-the-spider-laptop-for-samsung-galaxy-siii/17153.html

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app
13th February 2013, 06:52 PM   |  #23  
Thanks Meter: 19

92 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01jacksonb.

I have never heard of that laptop before, how universal is it, as most phones dont do USB OTG And HDMI at the same time. Does the keyboard and mouse connect via bluetooth?

Samsung have one called the spider dock. But I'm not sure if it's in production yet?
vr-zone.com/articles/can-a-smartphone-replace-a-laptop-meet-the-spider-laptop-for-samsung-galaxy-siii/17153.html

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app

the Motorola Lapdock is not actually a laptop, but like its name, a dock for motorola phones which used the webtop app a few years back - it comes in three flavors - the lapdock, lapdock 100 and 500. they were made for two phones at first (the Atrix and Bionic) and since have had other phones which work with it based on port arrangement (since motorola went with a separate usb and hdmi connection, bravo to them honestly, its more flexible)

the dock itself has a monitor w/hdmi input, usb keyboard and trackpad mouse with a built in battery as well as speakers (terrible, terrible speakers) using an arrangement of usb/hdmi extension cables you can input to and control most devices from the dock

*to the thread, I'm in the process of putting together a review video of the dock w/the note2 and s3, I'll hopefully have a teardown of the dock as well
13th February 2013, 11:23 PM   |  #24  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 15

180 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshgnex

*to the thread, I'm in the process of putting together a review video of the dock w/the note2 and s3, I'll hopefully have a teardown of the dock as well

Can't wait for that
14th February 2013, 12:22 AM   |  #25  
Flag Wilmslow

13 posts
More
Quote:

the Motorola Lapdock is not actually a laptop

Yeah, sorry, laptop was a typo. I am aware that the lapdock is a passive monitor and keyboard. However I wasnt aware of that companies version.

I have just ordered a smart dock, as I have had no luck getting USB OTG to work in this mode, The 2 pins that I thought may have been for USB don't seem to conform to USB standards.
Also, I can seem to get my lap dock to show any signs of life (other than the battery test). Should the screen backlight activate when the lid is opened, and should the Micro-USB port provide 5V. As mine doesn't. (It looks like I may have to return it, and see if they have any left in stock )

Oh, and before I forget, apparently the Note 2 when used on a large screen isn't ideal for web browsing/Word processing, as it isn't designed as a desktop. If you want functionality similar to Motorola's webtop, these are the closest that I've found so https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bmFuZHJvaWQiXQ..
, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1162662, and http://androlinux.com/android-ubuntu...tu-on-android/.
Last edited by 01jacksonb.; 14th February 2013 at 12:57 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 01jacksonb. For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th February 2013, 05:28 PM   |  #26  
Flag Wilmslow

13 posts
More
Quote:

Any luck doing the review and tear down yet? I can't do anything atm, as I'm still waiting for the dock to come into stock.
21st March 2013, 01:54 PM   |  #27  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
AW: MHL hdmi/vga with OTG & charging cable build
Any Updates?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread