Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,166 Members 45,477 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] About Kernel Version and Rooting

Tip us?
 
omer7
Old
#1  
omer7's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 212
Posts: 930
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default [Q] About Kernel Version and Rooting

Hello everyone,

I've recently purchased HTC One S (S3). It is T-mobile phone.

Today I installed CPU Spy in it to check when and for how much my phone goes to deep sleep. But on opening CPU Spy, it gave an error, "No states file found. Are you sure your phone is compatible?. If you are running a custom ROM or kernel, try contacting its developer to inform him that the states file not readable."

My question is, is my phone rooted? Did someone root this phone?

The kernel version is:

3.4.10-g055bd56
root@abm010#1
SMP PREEMPT

(I do not know about kernels or haven't rooted my phone). But this kernel version contains the word "root" in it, may be a stupid question, but does this mean the phone is rooted ?

And secondly is there any way I can check whether my phone is rooted or was ever rooted in the past or not?


Regards
 
Goatshocker
Old
#2  
Goatshocker's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 408
Posts: 941
Join Date: Oct 2010
Download this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...b290Y2hlY2siXQ..
It tells you if its rooted or not.
Quick ADB Pusher v0.5 (discontinued)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone(ancient junk): ZTE Blade some CM11 build
Tablet 7": Novo 7 Basic running stock HC 3.2.1
Tablet 10": ASUS Transformer TF101 16GB running Team EOS nightly (build 26)

Phone(new): HTC One S S4 running Dark Jelly S CM10 build23
Phone(junk): Xperia P running resurrection remix or Honami MW
Phone(Newest): Galaxy S4 Mini running slimKat
-----
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U NO THANK ME? ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
The Following User Says Thank You to Goatshocker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
NQNH
Old
#3  
NQNH's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 256
Posts: 871
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hamburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by omer7 View Post
Hello everyone,

I've recently purchased HTC One S (S3). It is T-mobile phone.

Today I installed CPU Spy in it to check when and for how much my phone goes to deep sleep. But on opening CPU Spy, it gave an error, "No states file found. Are you sure your phone is compatible?. If you are running a custom ROM or kernel, try contacting its developer to inform him that the states file not readable."

My question is, is my phone rooted? Did someone root this phone?

The kernel version is:

3.4.10-g055bd56
root@abm010#1
SMP PREEMPT

(I do not know about kernels or haven't rooted my phone). But this kernel version contains the word "root" in it, may be a stupid question, but does this mean the phone is rooted ?

And secondly is there any way I can check whether my phone is rooted or was ever rooted in the past or not?


Regards
as far as I know the "root" in the name is only the name of the user which compiled the kernel.
root is the "admin" user on linux
so, root@abm010#1 means the kernel was compiled by the adminuser on the linux machine with the name abm010#1

correct me if I'm wrong
Current device:
HTC One M8 (2014)

Previous devices:
Google Nexus 4
HTC One S (S4)
HTC Wildfire S
Nokia 5310 XM
SE K750i
Sagem My V-55
The Following User Says Thank You to NQNH For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
JohnKoeMan
Old
#4  
JohnKoeMan's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 27
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by omer7 View Post
Hello everyone,

I've recently purchased HTC One S (S3). It is T-mobile phone.

Today I installed CPU Spy in it to check when and for how much my phone goes to deep sleep. But on opening CPU Spy, it gave an error, "No states file found. Are you sure your phone is compatible?. If you are running a custom ROM or kernel, try contacting its developer to inform him that the states file not readable."

My question is, is my phone rooted? Did someone root this phone?

The kernel version is:

3.4.10-g055bd56
root@abm010#1
SMP PREEMPT

(I do not know about kernels or haven't rooted my phone). But this kernel version contains the word "root" in it, may be a stupid question, but does this mean the phone is rooted ?

And secondly is there any way I can check whether my phone is rooted or was ever rooted in the past or not?


Regards
Go into bootloader (press down volume and power button simultaneously) if it says locked at the top, you're phone is unrooted.
If it says tampered, it is probably rooted.
If you're phone has a custom recovery (like clockworkmod or teamwinprojects) installed it will probably be rooted.
Check for these things and you'll know if you're phone is clean or not
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnKoeMan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
omer7
Old
#5  
omer7's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 212
Posts: 930
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatshocker View Post
Download this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...b290Y2hlY2siXQ..
It tells you if its rooted or not.
Thanks for the link mate!
 
omer7
Old
#6  
omer7's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 212
Posts: 930
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by NQNH View Post
as far as I know the "root" in the name is only the name of the user which compiled the kernel.
root is the "admin" user on linux
so, root@abm010#1 means the kernel was compiled by the adminuser on the linux machine with the name abm010#1

correct me if I'm wrong
Well, I myself do not know about it. But lets see if someone else can confirm it. Thanks for your help.

Btw is something like that mentioned in your phone's kernel version as well?
 
omer7
Old
#7  
omer7's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 212
Posts: 930
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKoeMan View Post
Go into bootloader (press down volume and power button simultaneously) if it says locked at the top, you're phone is unrooted.
If it says tampered, it is probably rooted.
If you're phone has a custom recovery (like clockworkmod or teamwinprojects) installed it will probably be rooted.
Check for these things and you'll know if you're phone is clean or not
Thanks mate!

Did that, and it says "Locked" at the top left corner of the phone.

Does it mean my phone was never rooted in the past as well?
 
rootrider
Old
#8  
rootrider's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 381
Posts: 843
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Starnberg
If you see 'locked' and miss the word 'tampered', it never has been rooted.

The kernel is stock htc, they use the word root in almost all their kernels.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootrider For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
omer7
Old
#9  
omer7's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 212
Posts: 930
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default Re: [Q] About Kernel Version and Rooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootrider View Post
If you see 'locked' and miss the word 'tampered', it never has been rooted.

The kernel is stock htc, they use the word root in almost all their kernels.
Oh thats good then.

Thanks


Sent from my HTC One S using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to omer7 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
rootrider
Old
#10  
rootrider's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 381
Posts: 843
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Starnberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by omer7 View Post
Oh thats good then.
Sounds like you got what you paid for. You're welcome.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes