Flag Clarksville
Thanks Meter: 125

715 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by devynbf

Alright cool.
Can you link me to some vinyl please?
Sorry for the hassle, I just can't happen to find it lol.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

Google.com is a neat tool for phone research, fyi.

That being said, if you have the new Hyperion battery with cover, I think it will be much more difficult to cut a skin. I went with the hyperion case that was designed to go with the newer battery cover, and love it. Feels solid, isn't slippery, well worth the purchase! (also allows me to retain NFC)
14th February 2013, 03:10 PM   |  #12  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 312

969 posts
Re: Extended battery back doors?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt73

Google.com is a neat tool for phone research, fyi.

That being said, if you have the new Hyperion battery with cover, I think it will be much more difficult to cut a skin. I went with the hyperion case that was designed to go with the newer battery cover, and love it. Feels solid, isn't slippery, well worth the purchase! (also allows me to retain NFC)

Please only reply with useful information.

14th February 2013, 03:11 PM   |  #13  
OP Senior Member

969 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_1

Here's a quick look at what you can do with the Anker extended battery/case and a bumper...
Before

After

Carbon Gear is where you can get one.

They are a little more expensive and I'm sure you can ebay it but I live not to far from where Carbon Gear is at. It ran me about $15 shipped maybe a little more but it was around there. On ebay you can search for "3m Vinyl carbon" and you should get a ton of hits.

You'll need Patience, an Exacto knife, scissors, and a hair drier. Mine came out almost the same as the posts above, he just beat me to the punch. lol
1. The Patience is self explanatory
2. Put the sticker on the case, make sure to cut more than you need for "shrinkage", I gave myself about an inch or 2 on all sides.
3. Use the hair drier to form the sticker around the edges and nooks and crannies.
4. When satisfied let the sticker cool off and use the exacto to cut the excess off.

This is easier said than done but if you screw up a 12" x 12" sheet should give you enough to do this three time. I got it on the first time and my only advice is to take your time. This is the best way to do it because no one makes an extended door in patterns yet nor can I find a back door by itself.

I would also recommend not using the aluminum bumper with the rubber buttons. While it does work it's a super tight fit and while adjusting the front sliding frame I ripped off my JLG protector. Luckily my MIME SP just came in the mail today. ROFL.

Thanks man.
It will also be my first time attempting this so I will do my best.
And yea, I wanted to do the carbon fiber back door with a cool metal bumper of some sort.

Just ordered some vinyl so we'll see how it turns out

14th February 2013, 09:23 PM   |  #14  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 80

284 posts
More
This guy did a nice set up with Sweet Armor Bumper and vinyl....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2099307&page=3

He has the extended battery and a flygrip as well! HTH!
18th February 2013, 05:49 AM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 39

145 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thanks man.
It will also be my first time attempting this so I will do my best.
And yea, I wanted to do the carbon fiber back door with a cool metal bumper of some sort.

Just ordered some vinyl so we'll see how it turns out

Here's a link to the sweet armor and ext battery post for when you go to get your bumper. Make sure to get the right one cause the one I have is really tight and is a B1t@h to get off when I need to mess with something.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9&postcount=46

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
18th February 2013, 11:04 AM   |  #16  
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 18

164 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Here's a quick look at what you can do with the Anker extended battery/case and a bumper...
Before

After

They are a little more expensive and I'm sure you can ebay it but I live not to far from where Carbon Gear is at. It ran me about $15 shipped maybe a little more but it was around there. On ebay you can search for "3m Vinyl carbon" and you should get a ton of hits.

You'll need Patience, an Exacto knife, scissors, and a hair drier. Mine came out almost the same as the posts above, he just beat me to the punch. lol
2. Put the sticker on the case, make sure to cut more than you need for "shrinkage", I gave myself about an inch or 2 on all sides.
3. Use the hair drier to form the sticker around the edges and nooks and crannies.
4. When satisfied let the sticker cool off and use the exacto to cut the excess off.

This is easier said than done but if you screw up a 12" x 12" sheet should give you enough to do this three time. I got it on the first time and my only advice is to take your time. This is the best way to do it because no one makes an extended door in patterns yet nor can I find a back door by itself.

I would also recommend not using the aluminum bumper with the rubber buttons. While it does work it's a super tight fit and while adjusting the front sliding frame I ripped off my JLG protector. Luckily my MIME SP just came in the mail today. ROFL.

Thanks mate. I'll definitely try and do a nice job. Will post here once I do one.
23rd February 2013, 06:20 AM   |  #17  
Flag Otizzle
Thanks Meter: 65

252 posts
Quote:

Before

After

I got inspired by this mod and did it on my oem battery back door. I must say I love the results!

Before:

After:

It looks amazing and I am probably gonna do it again when I pull the trigger on the Anker battery-case combo. Thanks for that!

Sent from my Note II
Last edited by h3ck; 23rd February 2013 at 08:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to h3ck For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd February 2013, 06:46 AM   |  #18  
OP Senior Member

969 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hekticpr21

I got inspired by this mod and did it on my oem battery back door. I must say I love the results!

Before:

After:

It looks amazing and I am probably gonna do it again when I pull the trigger on the Anker battery-case combo. Thanks for that!

Sent from my Note II

Very nice.
How much did the vinyl cost you?
Can you link it to me please?

23rd February 2013, 08:29 AM   |  #19  
Flag Otizzle
Thanks Meter: 65

252 posts
Quote:

Very nice.
How much did the vinyl cost you?
Can you link it to me please?

Not much at all. $2.95US I just used the sample size and it's more than enough.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...d=130836935159

Sent from my Note II
23rd February 2013, 02:18 PM   |  #20  
Thanks Meter: 39

145 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hekticpr21

Before:

After:

Sent from my Note II

Looks great! It's what we do in our car club when someone wants to redo their speedometer, dash, or interior. Not super expensive, relatively easy, and makes it look great!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread