No registration required

T-Mobile Blocking Wi-Fi Tether

OP davidbudd1

1st February 2013, 05:51 PM   |  #231  
Thanks Meter: 42

72 posts
Had no trouble with mine.

Rooted HTC Desire HD on Jellytime 4.2.

Maybe as I use the Onavo data compression app VPN that hides it from them?
8th February 2013, 10:28 PM   |  #232  
Thanks Meter: 0

22 posts
More
What about an SSH Tunnel?
What about using an SSH tunnel? I have an ssh server at my house that I could tunnel my traffic through using a SOCKS proxy, would that have the same affect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlean

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+set+up+an+encrypted+vpn

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

11th February 2013, 09:06 PM   |  #233  
Thanks Meter: 5

9 posts
TrevE mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbudd1

So it looks like T-Mobile is blocking wi-fi tether now. It was working perfect ever since I bought my S3, but today I turn on wifi tether and all is working then I get two text messages from T-mobile (see attached image). AS soon as I received the second message my tether stopped working. I am rooted running XquizIt v70 Rom, KT747 9-5 Kernel WiFi tether 3.2 beta 2. My computer I was tethering to is a MacBook Pro running Lion using google chrome browser.

This is just a heads up to you guys and if anyone knows a workaround let me know.

T-Mobile and Google definitely tried hard with jellybean to eliminate any type of WiFi tethering. They even successfully made the WiFi tether for root users and open garden useless. And the one none root that worked for us unlimited 4g data planners, the 15$ SVTP WiFi/USB tethering app freezes at opening. I thought that was it. But low and behold all thanks to developer TrevE whoever you are cause he cracked the problem. Several rooted custon ROMs like xquisitare coming with his modified app built in to the update/ROM. But for everyone else just Google search WiFi tether for root TrevE mod. You will have to download the .apk file and check "allow non market apps" in security settings but that's it. The newest is modv22 and its great. Easy access tons of options and it flies. Better luck next time Google. And of course the play store does not have the modifies working version. I have paid for every app on there root or no root and after the updated sniffers this is the only option.
PS praise be to triangle away!! I rooted my phone (GS3 t999) two days before my allshare cast hub arrived fed ex from Korea and thought thanks to rooting I bought an 80$ paperweight. But the play store all share update and triangle away resetting my flash counter and now everything is working! Even Samsung media Hub downloads and all
Happy tethering!
12th February 2013, 06:40 AM   |  #234  
Flag Overland Park
Thanks Meter: 14

58 posts
More
Google does their best to make sure the population has the most open and unrestricted internet possible. The more searches and web sites with Google adds you see the richer they get. I certainly doubt they would help restrict their source of revenue.

T-Mobile intercepts all of your data because you're connected to their equipment. When you use a certain amount of data within a given amount of time you trigger their proxy servers to inspect the http header data being sent via a program or app. The header contains the user agent that identifies the software sending the http request.
Im sure people complaining the move to jb from ics caused the block, is simply a matter of timing.

If you think otherwise, then once you get blocked, un tether, and get dolphin browser. Change your user agent to the same as msie9/10 and see that you're blocked under that specific circumstance. Its not that youre tethering, its that big bro is watching everything you do.

If someone can provide a link to googles aosp source showing they communicate with the carrier to verify that you purchased tethering, then ill retract my statement.
13th February 2013, 11:58 PM   |  #235  
Flag Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 199

913 posts
Re: T-Mobile Blocking Wi-Fi Tether
Tmobiles current means of blocking is so retarded and easily bypassed . As stated in the post above they intercept and inspect the useragent . Once its been determined to be something other that a mobile user agent you are blocked . So encrypt your data ! Its as easy as that . There are many vpn apps that encrypt your data for free . Hotspot shield is what I use . Get it , use it , tether .

Sent from my SGH-T959 using xda premium
Last edited by AgentFour20; 14th February 2013 at 09:45 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to AgentFour20 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th February 2013, 02:50 AM   |  #236  
Thanks Meter: 96

871 posts
hotspot shield looks like is blocked now to though. I can't even pull up the sight on my t-mo connection anymore.
I can still browser with user agent changed but if I try and stream netflix they somehow catch that.

If there a different free VPN service I can try?
14th February 2013, 04:22 AM   |  #237  
Thanks Meter: 3

96 posts
Hotspots shield works it's tits just saying

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
14th February 2013, 09:47 PM   |  #238  

871 posts
Are you on T-Mobile USA or a different provider?
If I even try to go to their site on my phone its blocked.
14th February 2013, 10:18 PM   |  #239  
Flag Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 199

913 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArtiszan

Are you on T-Mobile USA or a different provider?
If I even try to go to their site on my phone its blocked.

www.hotspotshield.com returns no page because their website is at www.anchorfree.com .

Sent from my SGH-T959 using xda premium
15th February 2013, 01:17 AM   |  #240  

871 posts
That is weird because I can access the hotspotshield.com on my computer on home internet ok is just won't open on t-mobile connection.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread