Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,106 Members 41,866 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can't install any 4.2 ROM

Tip us?

Devilicus
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default [Q] Can't install any 4.2 ROM

I was hoping to try out one of the 4.2 builds tonight, but every time I try to flash one through TWRP it just says "Failed"; I've tried CM10.1 and Eclipse ROM and they both had the same result. Also tried redownloading ROMs and re-copying them to my SD card, still no change. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here? I've never had a problem flashing any ROM before.
Current Device(s): Google Nexus 5 and Motorola Moto X

Past Devices: HTC Hero, HTC Evo 4G, HTC Evo 3D, Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy S III, HTC One, Nexus 4

Relentless D
Old
Thanks Meter 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilicus View Post
I was hoping to try out one of the 4.2 builds tonight, but every time I try to flash one through TWRP it just says "Failed"; I've tried CM10.1 and Eclipse ROM and they both had the same result. Also tried redownloading ROMs and re-copying them to my SD card, still no change. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here? I've never had a problem flashing any ROM before.
What version of TWRP are you running?

If you haven't done it lately, I would suggest updating your twrp to the latest and trying again.

Devilicus
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
I'm running the newest TWRP (I think), version 2.4.1.0

Past Devices: HTC Hero, HTC Evo 4G, HTC Evo 3D, Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy S III, HTC One, Nexus 4

Relentless D
Old
Thanks Meter 228
Quote:
I'm running the newest TWRP (I think), version 2.4.1.0
Weird. I am on that same version and have been flashing 4.2 roms for the last few weeks without any issues.

A few things I would try:

-Double check the md5 of the rom you are flashing
-Make sure it is a d2vzw rom
-Wipe caches, delete user data and wipe system
-Put the rom on the internal sdcard before flashing.

Other than that, I got nothing :P

Devilicus
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless D View Post
Weird. I am on that same version and have been flashing 4.2 roms for the last few weeks without any issues.

A few things I would try:

-Double check the md5 of the rom you are flashing
-Make sure it is a d2vzw rom
-Wipe caches, delete user data and wipe system
-Put the rom on the internal sdcard before flashing.

Other than that, I got nothing :P
Damn, yeah I can't figure it out; all the ones I've tried were Verizon ones, made sure to wipe everything as usual, tried putting it on the internal SD card and the external, won't work on either one. Very frustrating. But thanks for the help anyway

Devilicus
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Ok, I think I figured out the problem (won't be sure until I try it), but I think what happened is I edited my build.prop to the Sprint GS3 to get Google Wallet to work, forgot to change it back, and updated TWRP (which installed the Sprint version, not Verizon), and that's why the flashes are failing. So if any other people are having the same problem, that might be why. Yes I'm an idiot lol. Hopefully this fixes it

barrackOBAMA
Old
Thanks Meter 299
Default Re: [Q] Can't install any 4.2 ROM

Try carbon ROM.

First to work for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
JohnAreBee Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Ok, I think I figured out the problem (won't be sure until I try it), but I think what happened is I edited my build.prop to the Sprint GS3 to get Google Wallet to work, forgot to change it back, and updated TWRP (which installed the Sprint version, not Verizon), and that's why the flashes are failing. So if any other people are having the same problem, that might be why. Yes I'm an idiot lol. Hopefully this fixes it
What baseband [modem] do you have installed? ...and some more info if build prop wasn't the issue. Would also be interested if, "but I think what happened is I edited my build.prop", was the issue and you fixed it. Let us know. Goodluck

Devilicus
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAreBee View Post
What baseband [modem] do you have installed? ...and some more info if build prop wasn't the issue. Would also be interested if, "but I think what happened is I edited my build.prop", was the issue and you fixed it. Let us know. Goodluck
Yeah it turns out that was the problem. I edited my build.prop to match the Sprint GS3, so I could download Google Wallet from the Play Store and use it. I just never bothered to change the build.prop back. And when I updated TWRP through GooManager, it assumed I had a Sprint GS3 and installed the wrong recovery. When I flashed the correct Verizon version of TWRP everything worked fine. Thanks for the suggestions everyone

bobloblaw1
Old
Thanks Meter 417
Default Re: [Q] Can't install any 4.2 ROM

Quote:
Yeah it turns out that was the problem. I edited my build.prop to match the Sprint GS3, so I could download Google Wallet from the Play Store and use it. I just never bothered to change the build.prop back. And when I updated TWRP through GooManager, it assumed I had a Sprint GS3 and installed the wrong recovery. When I flashed the correct Verizon version of TWRP everything worked fine. Thanks for the suggestions everyone
Good call. Might be worth mentioning over in the wallet thread. It could save someone the headache you just experienced. Congrats on getting it working.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2