The Hidden Note II

Search This thread

kinghu

Apr 28, 2007
www.chinawhat.net
Really like the idea. Have always liked those Bookbook cases for laptops and this is similar (but more realistic and without the expense).

How did you go about sticking the pages together?

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
janeilarlegui.deviantart.com
Really like the idea. Have always liked those Bookbook cases for laptops and this is similar (but more realistic and without the expense).

How did you go about sticking the pages together?

Elmer's Glue with a tiny brush to spread apply. There are bookcases for laptops?!

I heard there are some for iPhone, but never seen any yet. Someone asked me where to get this. No point of it commercially available. The more ordinary the book looks, the better.

I'm planning to do some more spin-offs for this.

SG Note II rooted with stock 4.1.1

bushako

Mar 16, 2007
Dubai
Metro Manila. Does it matter much? Most cities have these types of crime. Even first world cities. And I commute everyday.

Not really I live in Dubai and I can leave my phone, wallet and car keys on a restaurant table, go to the washroom and it will still be there...nothing like a lot of cc cameras and getting blacklisted with deportation for stealing one's phone cant fix. I've been to manila and I understand now why you have to go through all this.

Sent from the rabbit hole.

kinghu

Apr 28, 2007
www.chinawhat.net
Elmer's Glue with a tiny brush to spread apply. There are bookcases for laptops?!

I heard there are some for iPhone, but never seen any yet. Someone asked me where to get this. No point of it commercially available. The more ordinary the book looks, the better.

I'm planning to do some more spin-offs for this.

The one I saw was from TwelveSouth (search for BookBook - I can't post outside links yet :/) for Mac laptops. The iPhone and iPad variations have holes for the camera which ruins the look and idea. I prefer the BookBook for Air (which I use) and MacBooks but they're expensive.

Think I'll pick up an A6 journal and put one together. Whilst I don't need the security you require, it makes for an alternative and original case. For mounting the phone, I was thinking of just using a really thin case glued to the inside back cover.

Anyway, kudos for the idea and implementation. ;)

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
The one I saw was from TwelveSouth (search for BookBook - I can't post outside links yet :/) for Mac laptops. The iPhone and iPad variations have holes for the camera which ruins the look and idea. I prefer the BookBook for Air (which I use) and MacBooks but they're expensive.

Think I'll pick up an A6 journal and put one together. Whilst I don't need the security you require, it makes for an alternative and original case. For mounting the phone, I was thinking of just using a really thin case glued to the inside back cover.

Anyway, kudos for the idea and implementation. ;)

I saw the Bookbook site, the sides isn't paper, but a sort of cloth with a zipper! That doesn't disguise it so much. The holes would give it up!

I'll probably modify a nice Moleskine notebook for a tablet.

Thank you for saying that it makes a stylish cover. It also protects much better than the regular exterior casings you buy. It's a nice storage for the extra S Pen I got.

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
LOL, so this is what some people are talking about the bookcase for the iPhone:

Http://twelvesouth.com/products/bookbook_iphone5/

The camera hole and no-paper sides totally gives it away. I don't see any security concept at all. The layers of real paper is what gives it the illusion. Why make it look like a book in the first place?

The paper acts as cushion if you drop it in the book. A good 12mm or half inch perimeter thickness as I did should suffice. Again, you need to make this custom disguise storage for the Note II.

kinghu

Apr 28, 2007
www.chinawhat.net
I saw the Bookbook site, the sides isn't paper, but a sort of cloth with a zipper! That doesn't disguise it so much. The holes would give it up!

The camera hole and no-paper sides totally gives it away. I don't see any security concept at all. The layers of real paper is what gives it the illusion. Why make it look like a book in the first place?

Hah, yes the iPhone cases are utterly pointless with holes cutout. I still like the book case even though it's cloth - from quick glance when carrying it under your arm it's not too obvious. I wouldn't use it like they showcase with the 'book' side-on (e.g. on a train) as that's stupid. For general carrying around, I think it would be OK, and less obvious that a traditional laptop case or bag. Only problem is once people have seen one, they know it and it could have the opposite effect of attracting attention.

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
I finally got the original charger + extra battery set. Yes, I got the darn white one as I want to manage my charging much more efficiently without having to plug-in while in use. I read somewhere that effective charging is with the phone off.

The charger is squarish and absurdly large to be carrying around - and I don't see the need to be charging in my bag with a portable charger necessary as the battery's stamina can last up to 12 hours minimum (20 hours at moderate) per charge when using it quite heavily.

I made a carrying case from an ordinary A6 sized $2.50 notebook to help me organized for heavy usage and for long travels that fits 2 extra batteries:

uploadfromtaptalk315977762675.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk315977809306.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk315977854835.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk315977905865.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk315977966049.jpg

It's simple and inexpensive. I opted for this instead of the Mugen extended battery type as it thickened and increased the weight of the Note II. I don't mind quickly changing batteries.

Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810e using xda app-developers app

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
I know. You have to be rooted to flash it as a system app where even a factory reset won't wipe it. The only thing that would is if the thief knows how to flash a new ROM & I doubt they would. It works with any 5 devices too so when anyone on my plan upgrades, I can just switch it to the new phone & deactivate the old one.

Cerberus isn't some lame find my phone app like Lookout. I downloaded the free trial about a year ago & literally got online to buy it after an hour playing around with it when I saw what all it can do.

I just heard from a friend who saw the local news that a thief was just caught because of Cerberus was installed on the phone. Police were led to his location and with his picture to id him.

This is a mean app! I made it into a systems app just like you said. I also realized that you sort of need to keep your phone unlocked to discourage the thief from installing a ROM, tricking him to use it for his eventual capture. What do you do?

Dr. Droidberg

May 21, 2012
Indiana
I just heard from a friend who saw the local news that a thief was just caught because of Cerberus was installed on the phone. Police were led to his location and with his picture to id him.

This is a mean app! I made it into a systems app just like you said. I also realized that you sort of need to keep your phone unlocked to discourage the thief from installing a ROM, tricking him to use it for his eventual capture. What do you do?

You might be misunderstanding. If a thief flashed a ROM to a stolen device, that would be the only way they could remove Cerberus if it was installed as a system app, because flashing the ROM replaces the entire system.

If my phone were stolen, the first thing I would do is passcode lock it because the first person that tried to unlock it would have their picture taken by the front facing camera & emailed to me. I would think that picture & the location would be enough for the police. I would also immediately wipe the SD card so no one could access it if they pulled it from the phone & tried it with a card reader.

dkb218

Apr 16, 2006
Bronx by way of Brooklyn
I take arguably the most dangerous route to work in the country.

The 4am 1 train in Manhatten that runs through every sh!thole area in the city.

Off -Topic but the 1 train in Manhattan is like taking the Disney Express compared to the 2,3,4,5, trains from Brooklyn to the Bronx anytime of the day. Of course me being a 6 foot 3, 290 pound African American does have some advantages when the stick up boys are on the prowl.

Still I'd hate to live in a place that forces me to create a hiding place for my phone but have to do what you have to do.

1ManWolfePack

Jul 11, 2012
I used to live in rough areas of Phoenix. Never had a smartphone then. Took the bus straight through ****holes and I imagine, if I had a smartphone - I would have been hiding it.

I'm in the midwest now, so much safer. Having said that, some punk B kept eyeballing my phone the other night. Told him to get out of my personal bubble politely and he fronted. I stood up. That ended that :)

Anyways, I came to post regarding personal protection. I always use my mitts, but if I need extra protection, I carry my Asp. If you don't know about an Asp - pray you're never on the receiving end. Lol. Had to bust it out twice in Phoenix but never had to use it. Just seeing it made them walk away.

Sucks to have to live like that, OP, but nice work.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
I used to live in rough areas of Phoenix. Never had a smartphone then. Took the bus straight through ****holes and I imagine, if I had a smartphone - I would have been hiding it.

I'm in the midwest now, so much safer. Having said that, some punk B kept eyeballing my phone the other night. Told him to get out of my personal bubble politely and he fronted. I stood up. That ended that :)

Anyways, I came to post regarding personal protection. I always use my mitts, but if I need extra protection, I carry my Asp. If you don't know about an Asp - pray you're never on the receiving end. Lol. Had to bust it out twice in Phoenix but never had to use it. Just seeing it made them walk away.

Sucks to have to live like that, OP, but nice work.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for sharing. I have yet to develop another design that would be the thinnest as possible and the most ordinary looking note book that would least say that the Note II is in it. I can probably have time to do that by next week.

TheNeighbor101

Jan 25, 2013
Here is probably the thinnest and most conspicuous looking design for my Note II carrying case. It is only 10mm of paper from a B5 sized spiral binded notebook. The cover rotates to the back.

uploadfromtaptalk1364103999592.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1364104060321.jpg

This turned out to be useful for sketching on-location. I put in a niche for the extra S Pen on the side.

GT N7100 on Rooted Stock Touchwiz 4.1.2.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I take arguably the most dangerous route to work in the country.

The 4am 1 train in Manhatten that runs through every sh!thole area in the city.

Always full of thugs, hassling the hell out of people.
    One time I was approached by some ***** who was eyeing my Nexus 7. I always carry either brass knuckles or a small blade when riding that early. This time he got the brass knuckles.

After I knocked his ass out I took a photo of him layed out as I got off my stop.

Don't ever show fear towards these animals. They are all talk when it comes down to it
    2uqe4y4a.jpg
    Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810e using xda app-developers app
    Carry a gun and shoot the thief.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    This idea came about after my brother was held up at knife point for his Note II. He was just commuting home at night but thankfully nothing really bad happened to him.

I commute and I hate the idea of losing my new Note II. So, I modified my old wood covered planner by cutting out the paper layers to form a niche for the Galaxy Note II. I considered including the silicone casing to tighten secure the device into place.

I control the device with a smart watch like the old Sony Ericsson LiveView and my wireless stereo remote earphones. My main line is another common smartphone. The Note serves as my secondary line. I can quickly make calls, read & reply sms (pre composed) via the smart watch.

You just need to use the Note in safer places and not flaunt by using it while in the mod planner for long periods of time. It would also help that you install a screen dimmerv app so as the light will not to give away that you have the Note in it and keep your phone in discreet mode with just vibration alerts.

While most are flaunting this great device, it's less likely that the would-be robber will suspect that the Note is in the planner. The secondary phone is your "smoke-screen" device you will surrender.

In this way, there's no need to do any struggle especially when he has a gun pointed at you.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium HD app
    I made a better version for the smaller planner and here is the video link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92800985@N06/8457470770/

Pictures:

photostream

photostream

The new version integrates the old S Pen with the pen holder accessory and a top and bottom thin elastic string to hold both into place. The cut was designed to make them fit exactly and snugged into place. I didn't glue the top and bottom pages to allow charging and wired earphones to connect. The S Pen will be useful and will give the illusion that you are just jotting something down when you need to use the Note II.

It took me a bit of thinking and twice more labor for the exact cutting as I needed to make a template, pencil the cut edges every 3 to 4 pages at a time, referencing from the outer corner.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium HD app