Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,429 Members 53,716 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Do you plan to purchase a OUYA gaming console?
Yes. 214 47.87%
No. 107 23.94%
Haven't decided. 126 28.19%
Voters: 447. You may not vote on this poll

The OUYA console... is it doomed? Inquiring minds want to know...

Tip us?

xda_biscuits
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Hell yes

I am gonna buy this as soon as I can get one in Australia.

xDecapitator
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halmo View Post
I hope you are referring to mobile device gpus/cpus because they are nowhere near the best you can get in desktops or even laptops or that matter.
Yes, but for $99, you are getting one hell of an Android system.

Phone: AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3
ROM: Dynamic Kat Xtreme 1.3
Case: Otterbox Commuter

swbf2lord
Old
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
Honestly, the Ouya took a while to get to market, and it now has older hardware than most current cell phones. If anything, that would doom it. Hopefully though, the devs will still get on board.
Current Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Previous Device(s): Samsung Omnia, Motorola Droid 1, Motorola Droid 3, Motorola Droid X2, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Sony Ericsson Xperia Play, Motorola Droid RAZR, HTC Trophy, Samsung Fascinate, Droid RAZR MAXX, HTC 8X, Motorola Droid RAZR HD
Current Tablet(s): Motorola Xoom
Previous Tablet(s): Acer Iconia Tab A100

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffStuff
Trading Phones Is A Disease

Genjinaro
Old
Thanks Meter 359

DONATE TO ME
I voted yes but I also plan to get an Archos TV Connect. The OUYA would travel with me for visits to my folks house & hotels.
XDA since 2007...

Azerox
Old
Thanks Meter 34
I will buy it, for those $99 its very cheap, even if it (probably) becomes 99 for Europe.

Just a great device.

unixon
Old
Thanks Meter 15
From the standpoint of a casual gamer and movie buff in college, I would not mind paying a measly $99 for a reasonably powerful device that can plug into my TV, let me easily use my XBMC server, Netflix, Youtube, and Hulu Plus whilst allowing me to play some of the excellent games Android has brought me.

MADFINGER makes some really well scripted games with the best graphics I have ever seen. Samurai II was maybe a dollar? And the artwork is fantastic and it's a fun button masher with a comic book style. Shadowgun is $2. Gears of War really isn't that much different, and it's $60. Need for Speed Most Wanted is the most fun I have ever had playing a racing game.

Dead Trigger is free, as is Subway Surfers and Temple Run 2, and a plethora of Freemium/Server games. The games are good. And as much as I'm a snob about my games, some free ones kick butt. And end up being maybe 50 megabytes. Which is surprisingly well optimized.

We have enough big names to keep my hardcore side and a friend entertained. Need for Speed, Minecraft, Dead Space, Grand Theft Auto, Sonic, Call of Duty, The Sims, etc.

And I mean, emulators... games from classic style devs like Gamevil.

And keep in mind if the games are well optimized they will look extremely good, just compare the first 360 games to Halo 4 on the same Xbox.

No more subscription required to play your darn games (XBL)

And then the nerd activist in me enjoys an open source movement, a toy to tinker with, an emphasis for indie development, and better market competition. The team interacts with users. Oh and it's a brushed aluminum box that can replace my Xbox 360 and Roku 2 both of which I hate! Cool.
HTC One M7 (GPE)
Stock Android 4.4.2

Google Nexus 4 16GB:
ROM: Paranoid Android 3.15
Kernel: Franco Kernel M1
Bootloader: Occam JDQ39
Recovery: TeamWin Recovery 2.4.4.0

HTC EVO V 4G:
ROM: CyanogenMod 10.1
Kernel: HTC Stock
Bootloader: 1.04 ENG
Recovery: TeamWin Recovery 2.4.4.0

lordhardware
Old
Thanks Meter 5
In answer to almost all of your questions: Why does xda developers have different sections for each device?

The answer is that programs, tools, bootroms, in fact, almost everything, runs differently from device to device.

That sweet new game thats out at the moment? it doesnt run on the first iteration of android dongles due to hardware limitations.|

Speaking of hardware, the Ouya jumps that little issue by having uniform hardware from one device to the next, which means that (unlike even xbox360 and playstation games) developers are making their games run well on only ONE device, with ONE processor, ONE set of assembly instructions, ONE set amount of ram, and the same graphics processor on EVERY device.

Thats why its better than the alternative. It's a DEDICATED device.
The Following User Says Thank You to lordhardware For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

joemhewitt
Old
Thanks Meter 37
This console will faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaail miserably....
Devices
  • Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 INTL
  • BBC Micro - NOW WITH CYANOGENMOD 6 - ROOTED - OVERCLOCKED TO 0.1GHZ
  • Nokia 500

If I have done something nice, click here to give me a small amount of bitcoin: http://cur.lv/w108
The Following User Says Thank You to joemhewitt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

davidian22
Old
Thanks Meter 13

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: The OUYA console... is it doomed? Inquiring minds want to know...

Most People think it will have the power of an mobile phone, but the tegra 3 in the ouya is 1.6 ghz since it does not need to save battery power.

Sent from my LT22i using xda app-developers app

mrsilkunderwear
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am planning on buying this. I think it would be a good alternative for kids.