Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,173 Members 42,414 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Port AOSP 4.1 Camera to 4.2 Rom

Tip us?

brotherandyslb
Old
(Last edited by brotherandyslb; 15th February 2013 at 05:16 AM.) Reason: spell check broken
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Camera [Q] Port AOSP 4.1 Camera to 4.2 Rom

As the title states, how would one go about porting an 4.1 camera to 4.2? I really need a stable camera I can rely on and none of the current 4.2 Roms fit the bill. However, I really don't want to go back to 4.1.

Any help would be wonderful!

x714x
Old
Thanks Meter 254
You mean run the touchwiz camera on a AOSP rom? Or run the AOSP 4.1 camera on a 4.2 rom? If you are talking the touchwiz camera then the answer is no. Touchwiz stuff needs touchwiz framework to work properly which obviously AOSP does not. There are a lot of camera apps in the playstore with similar functions as the touchwiz camera that you can run. I personally like Procapture.
T-Mobile LG G2 | T-Mobile HTC One M8

brotherandyslb
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by x714x View Post
You mean run the touchwiz camera on a AOSP rom? Or run the AOSP 4.1 camera on a 4.2 rom? If you are talking the touchwiz camera then the answer is no. Touchwiz stuff needs touchwiz framework to work properly which obviously AOSP does not. There are a lot of camera apps in the playstore with similar functions as the touchwiz camera that you can run. I personally like Procapture.
As stated, I'm talking about the AOSP 4.1 camera on 4.2. Not talking about touchwiz.

The 4.2 camera is extremely buggy at least for me. The 4.1 camera was rock solid.

brotherandyslb
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Anyone? Or does anyone know what all files the camera needs to operate so I can copy one over myself?

brotherandyslb
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
After several tries, all I have managed to do is soft brick the phone, alot. Does anyone else want to solve this problem?

PsiPhiDan
Old
Thanks Meter 628
Default Re: [Q] Port AOSP 4.1 Camera to 4.2 Rom

I don't think anyone else is having camera issues on 4.2, so you're probably not going to get a lot of support here. What issues are you having? Is never had one yet on 4.2, and I use the camera often, as I have an infant.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

brotherandyslb
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Frequent FCs, sometimes rebooting will fix, other times I have to re-flash the rom. I too have an infant (2 wks old tomorrow) and a 2yr old. I also use the camera quite often for work. I know I am not the only one having the FC issues, I just don't know why it doesn't happen to others as well. When I flash a new rom I always Factory Reset, Wipe Cache/Dalvik, and Wipe System. Then flash, boot to system, wait a few minutes, reboot to recovery, flash gapps, then restore with titanium. The only camera that worked great (aside from TW of course) was the AOSP 4.1 Camera. All 4.2 cameras have failed.
mentose457 Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherandyslb View Post
Frequent FCs, sometimes rebooting will fix, other times I have to re-flash the rom. I too have an infant (2 wks old tomorrow) and a 2yr old. I also use the camera quite often for work. I know I am not the only one having the FC issues, I just don't know why it doesn't happen to others as well. When I flash a new rom I always Factory Reset, Wipe Cache/Dalvik, and Wipe System. Then flash, boot to system, wait a few minutes, reboot to recovery, flash gapps, then restore with titanium. The only camera that worked great (aside from TW of course) was the AOSP 4.1 Camera. All 4.2 cameras have failed.
I assume you have tried pulling the gallery app from a 4.1 rom and pushed it to /system/app/ on your phone. If not give that a try. Im not fully confident it will work but you might get lucky.

brotherandyslb
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentose457 View Post
I assume you have tried pulling the gallery app from a 4.1 rom and pushed it to /system/app/ on your phone. If not give that a try. Im not fully confident it will work but you might get lucky.

Yes, I have tried just the APK. Doing that results in the camera becoming non functional. Then I expanded removed gmscore.apk and 2 lib files then added gallery.apk from 4.1 along with several files merged in to all folders set permissions, reboot ... soft brick. I'm not 100% sure what files the camera relies on and what files the system relies on. What I'd like to do is pinpoint down every file the camera relies on in both 4.1 and 4.2 then make the proper changes. I'm just not sure of how to do that. I've downloaded several different flashable cameras and it seems that each one has different files.

Tags
4.1, 4.2, aosp, camera, port