Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Why are Nexus 10 handwriting apps always lagging?

OP bsara

10th February 2013, 12:50 AM   |  #11  
Flag Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 85

330 posts
More
Re: [Q] Why are Nexus 10 handwriting apps always lagging?
I use lecturenotes from the play store, haven't had much of a lag issue

Using latest AOKP PUB build and Ktmanta

Also have force 2d GPU rendering on dev options

Sent from my SGH-i777 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to jrod091 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th February 2013, 06:24 AM   |  #12  
OP Member
Flag Utah
Thanks Meter: 11

38 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod091

I use lecturenotes from the play store, haven't had much of a lag issue

Using latest AOKP PUB build and Ktmanta

Also have force 2d GPU rendering on dev options

Just tried this with both lecture notes and free note (free note had less lag of the two from what I could tell)... It did improve the lag quite a bit, but I'm still seeing a noticeable and significant enough (in my opinion) lag. Seems that one step has been taken... Anybody got any others?

Also, I tried using Seeder but saw no significant difference on my device.

FYI, I'm now rooted but still using stock ROM/kernel.
Last edited by bsara; 15th February 2013 at 06:29 AM.
15th February 2013, 04:20 PM   |  #13  
Flag Atlanta, GA

330 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsara

Just tried this with both lecture notes and free note (free note had less lag of the two from what I could tell)... It did improve the lag quite a bit, but I'm still seeing a noticeable and significant enough (in my opinion) lag. Seems that one step has been taken... Anybody got any others?

Also, I tried using Seeder but saw no significant difference on my device.

FYI, I'm now rooted but still using stock ROM/kernel.

Sorry about that, my lag seems very minimal, I've been taking notes in class all semester and it sends I've been able to take them quicker in my n10 then on paper, lol

I'm rooted running AOKP PUB 2/11 wit KTManta kernel (this setup, along with sine customizations to the kernel, have made my tablet really responsive and smooth)

Edit: I guess I don't remember what I had previously written, lol my bad

18th February 2013, 08:13 AM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
I'm still having this problem on stock 4.2.2 (as well as the latest CM nightly), and was wondering if anyone had any fixes. My Jot Classic works okay, but not well enough for any serious note-taking, and considerably slower than the same app/stylus on my nexus 4 and 7. My main issue is that it isn't sensitive enough to write small exponents and subscripts.
9th March 2013, 06:38 PM   |  #15  
Flag Atlanta, GA

330 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonguard

I'm still having this problem on stock 4.2.2 (as well as the latest CM nightly), and was wondering if anyone had any fixes. My Jot Classic works okay, but not well enough for any serious note-taking, and considerably slower than the same app/stylus on my nexus 4 and 7. My main issue is that it isn't sensitive enough to write small exponents and subscripts.

Do you have force GPU rendering on in developer options? If so, turn that off, it got rid if my lag on lecturenotes after the 4.2.2 update

15th March 2013, 05:47 PM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 688

1,341 posts
Today, I finally got my Nexus 10 and I started to investigate this ominous delay or lag. I indeed observe this lag on my Nexus 10 in LectureNotes and all other handwriting apps that I tested. As far as LectureNotes is concerned, I did a number of careful timing measurements and I think I can definitely exclude that the delay is due to slow drawing or anything like that. It seems that, on a Nexus 10, Android sends input events with a noticeable delay of around 250ms or so if they origin from touching the display, this is why a drawn line lags behind your stylus or finger. However, the delay is absent if you use a mouse (connected via Bluetooth), and hence there is no lag and the line follows the mouse pointer very closely. This is somewhat bad news, as this means that this problem cannot be solved within LectureNotes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acadoid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th March 2013, 06:28 PM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 746

1,826 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acadoid

Today, I finally got my Nexus 10 and I started to investigate this ominous delay or lag. I indeed observe this lag on my Nexus 10 in LectureNotes and all other handwriting apps that I tested. As far as LectureNotes is concerned, I did a number of careful timing measurements and I think I can definitely exclude that the delay is due to slow drawing or anything like that. It seems that, on a Nexus 10, Android sends input events with a noticeable delay of around 250ms or so if they origin from touching the display, this is why a drawn line lags behind your stylus or finger. However, the delay is absent if you use a mouse (connected via Bluetooth), and hence there is no lag and the line follows the mouse pointer very closely. This is somewhat bad news, as this means that this problem cannot be solved within LectureNotes.

If that is the case, could the input delay be tweaked or removed through kernel modifications?
15th March 2013, 06:36 PM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 688

1,341 posts
@EniGmA1987: If my explanation is correct and if one can modify the input handling, this might be possible. It seems that users with non-stock ROMS do not suffer from this problem, but this is just my impression based on contacts with LectureNotes' users and might be wrong.
15th March 2013, 06:48 PM   |  #19  
Flag Atlanta, GA

330 posts
More
Quote:

@EniGmA1987: If my explanation is correct and if one can modify the input handling, this might be possible. It seems that users with non-stock ROMS do not suffer from this problem, but this is just my impression based on contacts with LectureNotes' users and might be wrong.

Hey, I'm one of the people that has contacted you, and I can say that the input lag is significantly less on a custom ROM then on stock. Still there, but very slight

11th June 2013, 08:23 PM   |  #20  
OP Member
Flag Utah
Thanks Meter: 11

38 posts
More
Quote:

Sorry for not being more involved in this thread...been really busy lately.

I feel that have solved this issue for my current configuration. I've found that with the following setup, any lag that may be occurring is so slight that I either don't notice or I don't mind it:
-Get a stylus that actually works well (I had accidentally bought the first generation of the Adonit Jot Pro which has horrible sensitivity. However, after obtaining the 2nd generation, I've had no problems at all... one of my biggest reasons behind the lag was this 1st generation stylus)
-Stock 4.2.2
-Run Seeder 2.0
-DON'T force GPU handling
-Using LectureNotes Pro
-Create all lecture notes notebooks with a much higher resolution than what is initially set as the default. (This is what made the biggest difference)

From what I've observed, it seems to me that the best explanation behind any significant lag on this device is its extremely high resolution. I assume that most handwriting apps are programmed in such a way that the increase in pixel count hinders the sensitivity of the app itself.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread