Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
View Poll Results: Which type of microUSB charging connection should the new Car Dock have?
Fixed microUSB position (does not work with cases) 6 20.69%
Flexible microUSB "arm" (works with all cases) 23 79.31%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

How should the perfect Vehicle Dock for Note II look like? From iBOLT...

OP MikaelPe

15th February 2013, 04:32 AM   |  #701  
Thanks Meter: 5

167 posts
More
Re: How should the perfect Vehicle Dock for Note II look like? From iBOLT...
Great! Any ETA?

Also, do you have thoughts on this mount working on future Samsung devices?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon Wireless
15th February 2013, 06:35 AM   |  #702  
Thanks Meter: 1

20 posts
So yeah, iBolt fixed the UNS arm thing and they're sending me a new one. Awesome customer support.

As for the dock, it's been rock solid so far. The only issue I have is the rubber grips in the front. They don't (or at least mine didn't) take well to trying to place the phone in the dock quickly and accidentally brushing up against them.

This is what happened:

Not a big deal for me, the dock still does it's job.
15th February 2013, 07:25 AM   |  #703  
Thanks Meter: 216

570 posts
Then what happens when you dock your phone on an actual smart dock on your nightstand or your desk at work? It launches your car mode app?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium
15th February 2013, 07:57 AM   |  #704  
Thanks Meter: 218

1,178 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYofR

Then what happens when you dock your phone on an actual smart dock on your nightstand or your desk at work? It launches your car mode app?

It will

swyped all these spelling errors from my galaxy note 2
15th February 2013, 02:24 PM   |  #705  
Flag Seacoast, NH
Thanks Meter: 3

49 posts
More
They are sending me out the SAM charging cable as well. I received the UNS one by accident. Was told that the UNS arm is what you are going to use with the fancy cable that they are shipping out mid March.

After a few weeks of use, my dock is holding up pretty well. 2 things i would like to see changed would be the little feet that hold the bottom of the phone, they pull out way to easy, but have this really awkward tab on the bottom to push them back in. I wish that the feet were locked into place, only able to move with the push of a small button, or a pull of the tab. Another thing is the ball joint. Too loose. I've tried electrical tape, scotch tape, duck tape and rubber washers. Still can't get it to tighten up and hold it in 1 place when removing/inserting the phone.

I think the spring tention is perfect. I used the dock in a bobcat for 3 days during this big snow storm we had in New England. Stuck it to the window next to me in portrait, and it NEVER even slipped. I hit some nasty curbs that hurt pretty bad, but the mount held strong. Pretty damn good for a big phone like the note 2.
15th February 2013, 03:31 PM   |  #706  
OP Senior Member
Flag Stony Brook
Thanks Meter: 136

220 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYofR

Yes, there's only one "Smartdock mode" going forward. However, I am confident you will see the typical car-mode apps with boxes for shortcuts, apps etc. morph into dual functionality so they have a "home docking" screen too.
15th February 2013, 08:15 PM   |  #707  
Flag Wisconsin
Thanks Meter: 224

529 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaelPe

Yes, there's only one "Smartdock mode" going forward. However, I am confident you will see the typical car-mode apps with boxes for shortcuts, apps etc. morph into dual functionality so they have a "home docking" screen too.

Hi MikaelPe,

Since you seem to have the Dev's ear, it would be great if you could persuade them to add the ability to toggle Samsung's Driving Mode with their app too. Driving Mode is the feature where the phone will read your messages and alerts to you.
16th February 2013, 02:44 AM   |  #708  
Flag Irving, TX
Thanks Meter: 242

1,578 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaelPe

Well that sucks and doesn't make sense to me. On my Galaxy S2 I used desk dock mode in my desk dock at home and car dock mode in the car dock in my car. Each dock had its own wiring to determine which mode to open.
16th February 2013, 04:30 AM   |  #709  
Thanks Meter: 216

570 posts
I guess they expect everyone to use nfc tags. Nevermind there isn't always any good place to physically put one. Never mind it may be ugly. Samsung really are pretty annoying even while they may make a sweet piece of hardware.

I had no idea before buying just how retarded proprietary the mhl jack was. I already have standard 5 pin mhl adapters that I was using xwith my ltevo. They worked fine. Why in the world does samsung have to make a bizarro incompatible plug to do the same job? Oh yeah it had sensible car mode and desktop mode too. Who knew it was some exotic use case to have both a car AND a desk? And allsare?? Don't even get me started... the least actual sharing protocol I ever saw...

16th February 2013, 05:51 AM   |  #710  
Thanks Meter: 218

1,178 posts
Technically... we still have car dock mode. It just needs to be triggered differently. I do it via tasker and my phone connecting to my car via bluetooth.

I guess another alternative is if you dont have bt enabled car is no wifi + charging. There are many ways to do it.

Then with this, trigger car dock mode, then you'll be given the option of your car dock app.

This way you'll have an option to use a different app for smart dock mode.

Of course, you can't use ibolts arm because it would trigger smart dock mode. Maybe theyll sell their UNS arm separately.

swyped all these spelling errors from my galaxy note 2

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread