[ROM][WIP][AOSP][P7510][4.0.4]Infamous Open Source Project - **ALPHA** - 02.01.2013

Search This thread

djmatt604

Aug 1, 2012
Vancity
Err. Houston we have a problem.

Shot for the download bro, but we seem to have a problem. I tried it twice and both times it just stuck at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 startup screen. First time it got stuck there must admit I got the cold swets, but managed to get back into cwm and restore. After my nerves had settled I decided to attempt round two. This time I left it on the screen for 10min, but same thing :(

I've never done a logcat before so let me know what I need / must do to get it to you and I'll do so.

Send me a PM. Thx!

Sent from my Infamous Tab.

djmatt604

Aug 1, 2012
Vancity
Testing of the 7500 version is still underway but I need more help. Anyone else out there with a GT-P7500 willing to help out? You should be a strong user and know how to recover easily from a bootloop or a freeze should you encounter an issue. PM me if interested.

Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my T989D

Reactions: jonsat

djmatt604

Aug 1, 2012
Vancity
Hi everyone:

While we continue to work on getting the 7500 an IOSP option, which we can hopefully do, I'm interested in how things are working for 7510 users and the current alpha. The thread has gotten a bit quiet, and it IS an alpha thread, so I am interested to know how people feel about this rom in its current state. Its a given that it is not a daily driver for users that are not necessarily as strong as others or have kids etc, but the whole idea of releasing the rom this early was to generate some outside feedback and see what people think. Stronger users - I encourage you to run the rom for 2 or 3 days, doing different things, and let me know what you see. I personally have been running it for weeks and it performs well for me...although I might be biased, lol.

Is anyone having just brutal, fatal, 'can't do it' problems outside of what is mentioned in the OP that I may need to be aware of? Thank you for your feedback...this is what makes things better :)

djmatt604

Aug 1, 2012
Vancity
Hi all:

We are definitely having trouble narrowing down why our cut for the 7500 is not cooperating, and with me not having the device to test with I am going to park the effort for that tablet for now. I'm not all that comfortable releasing something for a device I don't own to begin with... Hope everyone understands.

Attention has turned back to the 7510 and I'm hoping to have an update out in the next week or so..focusing on clearing up the pesky keyboard thing and I have also updated the base to the newest ICS revision branch. :) I am also working on a Jellybean offering.

Sent from my 4.2.2 GSII

wayneza

Oct 15, 2008
Durban
Hi all:

We are definitely having trouble narrowing down why our cut for the 7500 is not cooperating, and with me not having the device to test with I am going to park the effort for that tablet for now. I'm not all that comfortable releasing something for a device I don't own to begin with... Hope everyone understands.

Attention has turned back to the 7510 and I'm hoping to have an update out in the next week or so..focusing on clearing up the pesky keyboard thing and I have also updated the base to the newest ICS revision branch. :) I am also working on a Jellybean offering.

Sent from my 4.2.2 GSII

No worries and us poor p7500'ers understand :D Get the base working and then you can share the love :fingers-crossed:

Reactions: djmatt604

jolobe

Oct 5, 2011
baarlo
Running the rom. Flash isn't working correct. Fashbased items don't work at once but after zooming in out its starting im most cases.
Rom is fluid.

dang3r1917

Jan 27, 2011
I was planning on flashing this rom on the next update (I just usually give roms one revision before flashing to iron out big bugs), but if you need feedback immediately, I'd be happy to flash the alpha and report back. If you have an update coming out soon though I'll wait and flash that one.

djmatt604

Aug 1, 2012
Vancity
I was planning on flashing this rom on the next update (I just usually give roms one revision before flashing to iron out big bugs), but if you need feedback immediately, I'd be happy to flash the alpha and report back. If you have an update coming out soon though I'll wait and flash that one.

Thank you very much!! I have been caught up this week with work and haven't had a chance to focus on updates for the ROMs I maintaining but hopefully next week will be more kind. Feel free to have a look early if you so choose - aside from the items I have called out on the OP, which can be worked around, things are pretty stable here. Would love an extra pair of eyes from anyone who's interested!

Sent from my 4.2.GSII

Reactions: darko454

dang3r1917

Jan 27, 2011
Been running the ROM for a few days now. My settings: 1.4 ghz, deadline, and interactive. I initially didn't run the scripts included, but after running them didn't see much of a difference. I'm comparing to Fourth Bar Revolution with Mackey 1.0.
Most things run just well. There doesn't seem to be a large difference between the two in terms of surfing with Chrome or using Flipboard. I loaded up a video in the Youtube app that lagged for me on FBR . It still lagged in spots, but much less.
Overall I'd say it's an improvement, but not as much of an improvement as I had expected. Keep up te work though and I'll happily keep testing.

djmatt604

Aug 1, 2012
Vancity
Very much appreciate the feedback!! I will update this project but it will take a little while as I work on an update to Infamous Tab and another goodie for everyone :)

Sent from my 4.2.GSII

Reactions: darko454 and TroPir

dang3r1917

Jan 27, 2011
One more thing that I forgot to mention. I got this odd lag issue when pressing the home button or opening an app. The app would shrink to about 80% of the screen before vecoming full size or going back home. It looked like it should have been an animation but it just looked odd and laggy. I would either speed up the animation or get rid of it all together, unless it was an issue specific to me, in which case I'll try a new flash and see if that helps.

PookiePrancer

Aug 9, 2010
Only issues I've had with this ROM have been inherent to any AOSP-based ROM. Stuff like the whacked white balance on the camera (especially the FFC). Browser a bit more choppy. Doesn't support as many codecs.

This is a sweet ROM, but I prefer the more-developed state of TW ROMs like Infamous, so I'll be waiting for 3.0 to drop :)

djmatt604

Aug 1, 2012
Vancity
Only issues I've had with this ROM have been inherent to any AOSP-based ROM. Stuff like the whacked white balance on the camera (especially the FFC). Browser a bit more choppy. Doesn't support as many codecs.

This is a sweet ROM, but I prefer the more-developed state of TW ROMs like Infamous, so I'll be waiting for 3.0 to drop :)

Thanks dude, you've always got great feedback.

This was actually my first attempt at building from raw Google source so I definitely expect that some stuff won't be as polished as your equivalent functionality in more conditioned stuff like Stock Sammie or CM/AOKP. That's all part of my learning process, I'll chip away and see what else I can do.

I have been working on 3.0 and a side project lately which has prevented me from focusing on IOSP but I did rebase with IMM76L ICS source and do plan on getting something out soon for this ROM. Eventually I'll also be adding my own tweaks to source and then porting them to newer versions of Android. I have a Jellybean cousin for this ROM that will see the light of day soon too :)

Sent from my 4.2.GSII

PookiePrancer

Aug 9, 2010
Thanks dude, you've always got great feedback.

This was actually my first attempt at building from raw Google source so I definitely expect that some stuff won't be as polished as your equivalent functionality in more conditioned stuff like Stock Sammie or CM/AOKP. That's all part of my learning process, I'll chip away and see what else I can do.

I have been working on 3.0 and a side project lately which has prevented me from focusing on IOSP but I did rebase with IMM76L ICS source and do plan on getting something out soon for this ROM. Eventually I'll also be adding my own tweaks to source and then porting them to newer versions of Android. I have a Jellybean cousin for this ROM that will see the light of day soon too :)

Sent from my 4.2.GSII

Oh, don't get me wrong: it's nothing you did. I've seen those issues on CM and AOKP as well. That was the gist of my feedback. I have no clue how to do what any dev does, but it seems those issues are inherent in the source code. Stuff like the red tinge on a lot of pictures or video...just seems like whatever Samsung did with TW was very optimized for this Tab.

Like I said before though, your Alpha is as good, or better, than some stable releases out there.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All right, here we go...alpha time. Can't wait any longer to get this out! READ THIS WHOLE OP. TWICE.

infamous-logo-003-1.jpg

INFAMOUS OPEN SOURCE PROJECT
    (IOSP)

This is a VERY new project, that will grow and span across multiple devices and Android versions over time. This particular release is the first one under the IOSP name. Each IOSP rom that our team releases will be built entirely from source, with our own hand-picked tweaks and enhancements baked in throughout the process of preparing a ROM for general release. We're learning a lot as we go and hope that you will enjoy what we can crank out!

This has taken the better part of 2 months for me to research, learn, build, soft brick, re-build, re-build again, cry, re-build and finally get this. I really hope you enjoy using this as much as I do - it has become my DD.

MANY THANKS GO TO:

- Jamison904, THE Infamous developer and fearless leader. Rock on bro, this is gonna be exciting!!
    - The other members of Team Infamous - shnn2011, jookdakang23, and Blesstheattack. A super talented group of which I am proud to be a member!
    - pershoot - a GENIUS and huge source of inspiration! His work with this device has been uncanny.
    - The entire Cyanogenmod team for inspiration and innovation in Androidland
    - zepplinrox for the included scripts, that let your device run the way it was designed to run
    - The entire XDA Developers community for providing tools, knowledge, and support

All right, enough with the sappy stuff. Let's get down to business.

Code:
    #include 
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * This is an ALPHA ROM.  Its target audience is stronger users at this 
    * time.  It is VERY stable, but may not be entirely noob-friendly right
    * now.  If you are inexperienced, it may be better to wait a
    * couple of releases!!  We'll get there though.  :)
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

By using the rom you agree with the above terms!

ifhv

- COMPLETELY built from AOSP (Google) source code for Android 4.0.4 - this is a "from scratch" ROM.
    - Slim, smooth, fast. The way Google intended. This is as pure and simple as Android should be.
    - pershoot's 3.1.10 kernel from CM9 and all its benefits - OC to 1400MHz, USB charging, and a huge list of other wonderful things. Check out Droid Basement for details on this kernel, and all of pershoot's current projects.
    - Pre-rooted
    - SuperSU
    - Busybox
    - Zipaligned
    - Init.d support
    - Live Wallpaper support
    - Face Unlock works great (use Pattern as alternate, see Bugs section)
    - Hand selected build.prop tweaks for UI optimization, improved Wifi performance, touchscreen response, and video playback
    - Replaced default wallpaper with a minimalistic, texturized slick look.
    - The following scripts from zepplinrox have been placed under xbin/scripts for you to use to tweak your ROM out!!! Read this. Use SManager from Play Store to execute these.

* V6 Supercharger!! (this has been tested and is of course FANTASTIC. Use setting 9 for minfrees!)
    * KickAssKernelizer (this is awesome)
    * Die-Hard Battery Calibrator (this is also awesome)
    - GooManager ready right out of the gate. As updates are released, you will receive OTA notification! TWRP is the recommended recovery and you can install it directly with this app. GO GET IT!! I will bake it into the next release for convenience's sake.

4sy6E.png

Code:
    Change log:

02.01.2013 - Initial Release.  See above.

X7uBS.png

There is some stuff to be aware of, yes. I told you it was an alpha. ;)

- With every reboot, the ROM will enable physical keyboard as default...effectively rendering the soft keyboard inoperable. DON'T PANIC! On first boot, SKIP THE WIFI CONNECTION AND GMAIL ACCOUNT SETUP. Go straight into the ROM, go into Settings > Language & Input, and set the default keyboard to AOSP Keyboard. Then look for a keyboard icon on the status bar...click on it, and set the toggle for "Use Physical Keyboard" to OFF. This will give you the soft keyboard and away you go! I am working to determine how to resolve this with the source and will try to provide a fix in a future update.

- Gmail may force close when you download it. Go to settings - accounts and sync - your Google account and check off 'sync Gmail'. Wait 30 seconds and you should be good.

- As a result of the above...DO NOT USE PIN UNLOCK!! A reboot will lock your tab and you won't be able to unlock it again. Use pattern or swipe...and if you use Face Unlock use Pattern as your alternate for now.

- Wallpaper scrolling may be a bit screwy. Using a different launcher to prevent wallpaper scrolling covers this problem up nicely. Nova Launcher is SERIOUSLY recommended...and the V6 Supercharger will "supercharge" the launcher beautifully for you!

- There is no baked in camera app at this time. I'm working on a port to be included for the next release. All the drivers for both cameras are there and function correctly though - just download "Camera ICS" from the Play Store and you'll have a camera (although it'll probably have some ads...ad blocker being considered for upcoming release)

- No advanced power menu at this time. There is no built in reboot option as it stands today, and various power menu mods I have attempted have not been fruitful as of yet. That will take me a bit more time but I'm committed to providing that! Use ROM Toolbox Lite to gain access to 4 way reboot capability in the meantime.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Full wipe is a MUST coming from ANY ROM. If you haven't done a full wipe, wipe before complaining... :) and TWRP is RECOMMENDED! You get that cool OTA support with TWRP.

- Take a NANDROID of your current ROM
    - Wipe Cache
    - Wipe Dalvik
    - Factory Reset
    - Wipe System
    - Flash the ROM
    - Flash the official Gapps ICS 4/29/2012 package - Get it here.
    - Reboot and enjoy!

DOWNLOADS AND OTHER LINKS

Note: PLEASE DO NOT POST MIRRORS TO OUR WORK. If a mirror craps out and we haven't noticed, please PM me.

IOSP ICS ALPHA 1 - MAIN DOWNLOAD
    IOSP ICS ALPHA 1 - ALTERNATE DOWNLOAD

Feel free to hit the Thanks button on the OP and/or hook me up with a 5 star rating if you're happy with my work!

And hey, if you're feeling especially charitable, please feel free to ship a donation to the good ol' dirty diaper fund! My wife and son will thank you, and may even let me hang around to do more stuff for everyone! Absolutely not required but ABSOLUTELY appreciated by me and my family! Use the "Donate to Me" link to your left, and thank you again for your support!

xWQL
    OK since there is a clear demand I upped the build attempt to tonight. 7500 IOSP Alpha 1 is compiling as we speak.

I will stick with the same two guys to test once I have had a chance to tweak the build and merge in all of the same enhancements. I will need a couple of days to do this as I'm working at the moment and wont be able to crack the build open right away. This is...assuming there are no setbacks during the build process.

Thanks to you guys for the interest! Can't wait to get you on board.

Preliminary P7500 build of IOSP ICS Alpha has been shipped to beta testers. Thanks a ton to wayneza and Duvel999 for sacrificing their precious devices to the cause!!

If everything comes back all good I will get the official download link into the OP for 3G users and update the thread title.

P7500 gets some love! :)
    Hey all!

I'm working to address a couple of things this week...one of them was scrolling response and I'm taking a couple of angles at that one. Testing some stuff out tonight. Little bit at a time, I'll do the best I can to make this thing awesome! I personally can't flash anything else right now. :)

Thanks to all users who have had a look to date...please keep beating this ROM up! I will work all I can from the feedback I get. I will try hard to release incremental updates often and keep my change log up to date for you.

Note on visual stuff...there will be other goodies like bootanim, themes, and whatnot later on down the road but my focus now is overall user experience.... And that damn keyboard thing. Lol.

Gmail force close. Reinstalled and didn't do any good.

Gmail works but you may need to turn the sync on. Install Gmail, go to settings - accounts and sync - your gmail acct and check off 'sync Gmail'. Wait 30 seconds and try again...you should be in no problemo

I will add this to the OP