Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,073 Members 40,966 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[OFFICIAL] questions and answers for Microsoft surface

Tip us?

Wischm0pp
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCalltheway View Post
Is it normal and does your touch cover also do this?
To some extend, it's normal because the thin plastic layers in the keyboard seem to do this.
But with my keyboard I can ony hear that if it's pretty quiet and I have to get really close to it.
So yours is most probably defect, you should consider sending it back to Ms.

kiddomarc
Old
(Last edited by kiddomarc; 15th February 2013 at 11:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
my surface pro cannot boot from Windows 7 and Linux USBs, it still proceeds to windows 8. (im trying to put windows 7 on it or Linux)

but I can on my Recovery USB. i'm using the down volume method, and tried the advance boot thingy and chose USB method.

So i doubted if my win7 and linux usbs are not bootable, but they both boot well on my other pc.

I also have that EFI boot disabled. im not exactly a noob with tweaks and software installation, i just dont know why my surface pro wont accept those bootable usbs so i can start installing them.

please help.

Kraize
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddomarc View Post
my surface pro cannot boot from Windows 7 and Linux USBs, it still proceeds to windows 8. (im trying to put windows 7 on it or Linux)

but I can on my Recovery USB. i'm using the down volume method, and tried the advance boot thingy and chose USB method.

So i doubted if my win7 and linux usbs are not bootable, but they both boot well on my other pc.

I also have that EFI boot disabled. im not exactly a noob with tweaks and software installation, i just dont know why my surface pro wont accept those bootable usbs so i can start installing them.

please help.
Are you sure it's not a problem with your usb? I can boot backtrack, ubuntu, windows 7 just fine from usb.
Current:

Nexus 5: Paranoid Android

Former:

Samsung Blackjack > AT&T Tilt > HTC Fuze > HTC Touch HD > HTC HD2 > Motorola Atrix > Samsung Galaxy Note > HTC One

mohitgalaxy3
Old
Thanks Meter 360
Default Can I install win8 on surface:

Hi Everyone,

I want to know is there a way to install win 8 on my surface instead of win RT.

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2642
Technically speaking? No, of course not; Win8 runs on x86/x64 (processors based on Intel's 80386 instruction set architecture, with or without AMD's 64-bit extensions). RT runs on ARM, a completely different processor instruction set. ARM processors, such as the Tegra 3 chip in Surface RT, can't run x86 code directly, so there's no way to run an x86 OS on them.

Now, with that said, there's really only one meaningful difference in the behavior of Win8 from that of Win RT: the requirement that desktop apps and libraries be signed by Microsoft. Without athat, you can compile programs for ARM, or run .NET code (which is processor-independent), with no problems at all. There *is* a way to enable this on RT: go look up the "jailbreak tool" on the dev&hacking sub-forum.

Note, however, that the amount of software available for RT thus far is limited. Pure .NET 4.x apps will usually work fine, but RT doesn't include older versions of the .NET runtime. Open-source apps that are compiled using Visual Studio can be pretty easily re-compiled for ARM, but ones that are compiled using GCC only are much more difficult, and closed-source apps can't be recompiled at all. We have limited support for both Java and Python, as well. There is a tool being developed that allows running x86 code on RT using dynamic recompilation to ARM code, but that tool is still in early beta phase and doesn't yet support many programs.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mohitgalaxy3
Old
(Last edited by mohitgalaxy3; 20th February 2013 at 09:40 AM.)
Thanks Meter 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
Technically speaking? No, of course not; Win8 runs on x86/x64 (processors based on Intel's 80386 instruction set architecture, with or without AMD's 64-bit extensions). RT runs on ARM, a completely different processor instruction set. ARM processors, such as the Tegra 3 chip in Surface RT, can't run x86 code directly, so there's no way to run an x86 OS on them.

Now, with that said, there's really only one meaningful difference in the behavior of Win8 from that of Win RT: the requirement that desktop apps and libraries be signed by Microsoft. Without athat, you can compile programs for ARM, or run .NET code (which is processor-independent), with no problems at all. There *is* a way to enable this on RT: go look up the "jailbreak tool" on the dev&hacking sub-forum.

Note, however, that the amount of software available for RT thus far is limited. Pure .NET 4.x apps will usually work fine, but RT doesn't include older versions of the .NET runtime. Open-source apps that are compiled using Visual Studio can be pretty easily re-compiled for ARM, but ones that are compiled using GCC only are much more difficult, and closed-source apps can't be recompiled at all. We have limited support for both Java and Python, as well. There is a tool being developed that allows running x86 code on RT using dynamic recompilation to ARM code, but that tool is still in early beta phase and doesn't yet support many programs.
Well thanks for a brief description, I completely understand now why win8 can't run on RT.

Casper0v
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default External DVD

I know that the Surface RT does not have any DVD playback capabilities built in; I'm wondering if there could possibly be a way around this. It would be awesome to be able to just hook one up via USB and be able to watch DVDs.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Moloxus
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Live USB problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraize View Post
Are you sure it's not a problem with your usb? I can boot backtrack, ubuntu, windows 7 just fine from usb.
I'm having a similar problem. Are you compiling the live usb yourself? I've tried multiple programs (unetboot, linuxlive usb creator, rufus)

I've only managed to get ubuntu to load via live usb by creating it with rufus and setting partition scheme to gpt for uefi. non of the other isos I've tried (BT 5, Linux Mint, Android X86) are capable of a gpt partition scheme and I am pretty new to this uefi bios.

Does surface pro not have legacy bios support?

My end goal was to try and install a bare metal hypervisor like xenclient or nxtop on the surface pro.

Wischm0pp
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Often, when I change the system volume using the volume rocker it kinda gets stuck into it. For instance if I press the Vol+ button it goes all the way up to 100 and the volume indicator won't fade away until Vol- is pressed. Also it doesn't seem to recognize any touch input while being stuck.
Also it seems to be a software misfunction since I can't tell anything weird regarding the volume rocker. Seems to work normal on the hardware side.

arisgiann
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Hi.
I've tried lot of times to add my Google account to my RT but allways says that the details are incorect.

Does anyone knows the reason for that?