Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,421 Members 39,092 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Car charger with AC "Like" wiring

Tip us?

spit_fire
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdettman View Post
Interestingly, one buyer noted that their pins were already soldered together from the factory.
That picture, which had been uploaded by the unhappy buyer, describes the soldering/ mod that they did themselves. The Griffin PowerJolt doesn't come with its data pins pre-soldered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyharney View Post
I use CoPilot (v8) quite a bit, mine manages to hold charge and stay topped up.
Have you got the CC C200 as well? If you did, a link to where I may be able to purchase one would be highly appreciated.
"When we remember we are all mad,
the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."

Yannick1988
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I'm facing the same problem using my HTC with gps in my car.

i ran some test at home with a app called fast discharge to drain battery and monitor the battery using battery monitor. Battery drain is about -850ma on battery

Test are made during one minute with log of current every 10 seconds.
1)ORIGINAL wall HTC charger+ORIGINAL cable, detected as AC, battery is still charging about 300-350ma (with still fast discharge draining battery at -850ma)
1)ORIGINAL wall HTC charger+3RD PARTY cable, detected as AC too, BUT battery is discharging about at -50 ma (with still fast discharge draining battery at -850ma)

What is the conclusion? Even a AC detected cable but not original won't charge the battery as well as the original one. But why? Is there a chip in the cable? Are 3rd party cable to thin?

Thank you for your help.

drloakes
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Various charging currents

Hi, I've had the same problems with charging current not being enough to keep the phone topped up while using Co-Pillot. I eventually worked out it was the cheap usb leads that come with the charger, the HTC usb lead uses much thicker cables for the power and ground feeds and thus allows more current to flow and hence approach the 1000ma max charge rate. using the cheaper leads i got less the 400ma so brough a few genuine htc leads off ebay and this fixed the problem.

raresvintea
Old
Thanks Meter 0
How can be done to use the cable for file transfer and for fast charging? Is it a way to do this?

Wildfire-Hooves
Old
(Last edited by Wildfire-Hooves; 21st November 2012 at 10:35 PM.)
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by raresvintea View Post
How can be done to use the cable for file transfer and for fast charging? Is it a way to do this?
use a extensioncable open the cable jacketing twist the Datacables togehter on the Device side.
Like i the Diagram showed (sry 5min work in paint)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cable.jpg
Views:	999
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	1501068  

besotsima
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I have Ipad Griffin charger and it has 2.1 amp, It charges like AC charger, but on HOX I found that it needs 1 amp. Is it possible to damage my phone?

Wildfire-Hooves
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Default AW: Car charger with AC "Like" wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by besotsima View Post
I have Ipad Griffin charger and it has 2.1 amp, It charges like AC charger, but on HOX I found that it needs 1 amp. Is it possible to damage my phone?
Nope I nothing bad will happen.
The phone use only that was he want.
Every phone has a Secure charging control.
You can use a charger with 12A if you want but the phone will only use what he wants not more.

Written with my Omega powered GT-N7100 with Tapatalk 2

besotsima
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfire-Hooves View Post
Nope I nothing bad will happen.
The phone use only that was he want.
Every phone has a Secure charging control.
You can use a charger with 12A if you want but the phone will only use what he wants not more.

Written with my Omega powered GT-N7100 with Tapatalk 2
thanks for quick answer

sarahragan2014
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I use a S4 and it says says Charging (AC) on the screen when using my car charger. Havent used your phone but if it doesnt show such signs, just check 'settings > about device > Status > Battery status'. If it says 'Charging (USB)', it provides 500mA. Instead, if it says 'Charging (AC)', it provides more (so called fast charging).

FYI I use Avantek. Bought it on Amazon and have been using it for more than a year. Have never had any issues with it dying or failing. Highly recommend!