Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,924 Members 45,005 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[App]+[MOD]Android Tablet Native SMS + Google Voice

Tip us?

ZerosevEx
Old
(Last edited by ZerosevEx; 27th February 2013 at 12:54 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Tablet [App]+[MOD]Android Tablet Native SMS + Google Voice

About:
This tutorial will show tablet owners how to install a phone messenger and get Google Voice to work with it. MMS isn't supported but SMS will work. Notifications will work. Everything just like the 'Messenger + Google Voice app' has without the price. ROOT ONLY!

Needed:
Tablet
GV Intergration v2.0.0.4(attached: gvi2.5.apk)
Google Voice(attached: gv54.apk)
Phone Messenger APK You want(attached: Mms.apk)

Steps:

1) Install Google Voice from the apk attached and setup the account.

2) Install GV Intergration and setup.

Settup Should Be:
GEmail: Real
GPass: Real
Enable Intergration: Yes(Check this after step 4)
Intergration Type: ROOT
Send Type: Google Account
ALL Contacts
Replys to Texts: Yes
Sig Sent: blank
Sig Recieve: blank
Recieve Notifications: Naitive
Notification Bar: Yes or No(doesn't mater unless you have a sending issue)
Screen On: Yes
Popup: No

3) Move Mms.apk into android/app/Mms.apk. Tablets won't have one here.

4) Now install the Mms.apk from the apps folder.

5) Go back and Enable Intergration. Tablet will Reboot!

6) After reboot, run Messenger and Voice at the same time. Send some texts through messenger to your number. If you dont recieve a reply your gvoice app needs to relogin. Continue sending some texts till it notifys you to relogin if it hasn't already. Took my tablet(Asus TF101) 15 seconds to notify my Google Voice to relogin. Once you relogin it will update itself and all will be fully functional. You don't need to do these steps again. Your done!

Note: Now that the app is considered a phone native app with its number you can link gosms, chomp and such messenger to it.

Credit:
ZerosevEx for tutorial & Discovery
App Creators for making it possible
Attached Files
File Type: apk gv54.apk - [Click for QR Code] (4.53 MB, 745 views)
File Type: apk gvi2.5.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.68 MB, 817 views)
File Type: apk Mms.apk - [Click for QR Code] (2.74 MB, 632 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZerosevEx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

strra
Old
(Last edited by strra; 18th February 2013 at 12:08 AM.)
Thanks Meter 83
thanks for the guide...
i am able to send and receive texts via google voice, however, i'm not getting any notification of a new text from the stock messaging app.
any ideas?

OnePlus One
Lenovo Miix 2 8

sixfearstheseven
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Default Re: [App]+[MOD]Android Tablet Native SMS + Google Voice

I think I'm missing something. Where is the GV Integration app? I can't find it in the play store

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Searching for the GV integration app in the play store on my nexus 7, I found a free app that appears to do everything this guide purports to accomplish without any extra steps. Just install the app, allow access to your gmail account (you don't have to type in your password) and you're ready to send text messages from the included stock MMS app

ZerosevEx
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfearstheseven View Post
I think I'm missing something. Where is the GV Integration app? I can't find it in the play store

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Searching for the GV integration app in the play store on my nexus 7, I found a free app that appears to do everything this guide purports to accomplish without any extra steps. Just install the app, allow access to your gmail account (you don't have to type in your password) and you're ready to send text messages from the included stock MMS app

That is true, for $5. This tut is to save the $5 with a little work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strra View Post
thanks for the guide...
i am able to send and receive texts via google voice, however, i'm not getting any notification of a new text from the stock messaging app.
any ideas?
Some Stock MMS apps arn't supported. I used the wuick reply ones and they dont seem to be tablet friendly. You have to trial and error with the mms's that are out and see your cup of tea. the cm10 stock white works best and always notifys.

KYT
Old
Thanks Meter 11

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfearstheseven View Post

I can't find it with my XOOM either. However, if I look at Play on my computer, I can find it:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...Rpb24uZnJlZSJd

Says this app is not compatible with my XOOM but is with my E4GT. I don't need it on my E4GT.
Is there a way to force the app to install anyway?
If I can figure a way to get this working with out needing root, I want to it setup on my father's tablet (TF101), where root isn't an option.
He hates smartphones; he's still using a Sanyo Katana lol

bleached45
Old
Thanks Meter 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYT View Post
I can't find it with my XOOM either. However, if I look at Play on my computer, I can find it:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...Rpb24uZnJlZSJd

Says this app is not compatible with my XOOM but is with my E4GT. I don't need it on my E4GT.
Is there a way to force the app to install anyway?
If I can figure a way to get this working with out needing root, I want to it setup on my father's tablet (TF101), where root isn't an option.
He hates smartphones; he's still using a Sanyo Katana lol
As A TF101 owner, it can be rooted. But I'm assuming you mean you don't want to root his.
And you could always install it to your E4GT and then pull the app, save it somewhere and then uninstall it.
Then sideload it on the Xoom.
Devices:
AT&T LG G2
Asus Eee Pad Transformer.
AT&T LG Optimus G. (It is still in the family)

kryptonite_2448
Old
(Last edited by kryptonite_2448; 19th February 2013 at 04:26 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZerosevEx View Post
About:
This tutorial will show tablet owners how to install a phone messenger and get Google Voice to work with it. MMS isn't supported but SMS will work. Notifications will work. Everything just like the 'Messenger + Google Voice app' has without the price. ROOT ONLY!

Needed:
Tablet
GV Intergration v2.0.0.4
Google Voice(attached)
Phone Messenger APK You want(I used CM10)

Steps:

1) Install Google Voice from the apk attached and setup the account.

2) Install GV Intergration and setup.

Settup Should Be:
GEmail: Real
GPass: Real
Enable Intergration: Yes(Check this after step 4)
Intergration Type: ROOT
Send Type: Google Account
ALL Contacts
Replys to Texts: Yes
Sig Sent: blank
Sig Recieve: blank
Recieve Notifications: Naitive
Notification Bar: Yes or No(doesn't mater unless you have a sending issue)
Screen On: Yes
Popup: No

3) Move Mms.apk into android/app/Mms.apk. Tablets won't have one here.

4) Now install the Mms.apk from the apps folder.

5) Go back and Enable Intergration. Tablet will Reboot!

6) After reboot, run Messenger and Voice at the same time. Send some texts through messenger to your number. If you dont recieve a reply your gvoice app needs to relogin. Continue sending some texts till it notifys you to relogin if it hasn't already. Took my tablet(Asus TF101) 15 seconds to notify my Google Voice to relogin. Once you relogin it will update itself and all will be fully functional. You don't need to do these steps again. Your done!

Note: Now that the app is considered a phone native app with its number you can link gosms, chomp and such messenger to it.

Credit:
ZerosevEx for tutorial & Discovery
App Creators for making it possible
Or, just use Mighty Text for free from the play store. SMS + MMS, plus you get to keep your phone number and integrates with Google Voice. It's free, you can utilize it via tablet and/or a Chrome extension.

blmvxer
Old
Thanks Meter 548

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [App]+[MOD]Android Tablet Native SMS + Google Voice

Tried the method as per instruction and can't get it to send.

By the way this isn't a nexus 10 its an HP Touchpad.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1361293599876.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1743616  
DogeCoin Wallet
DTytjVUcEBpUTG1JPSHvfouqhAUt2YD9iK

Developer For:Uncapped ROM
HTC Evo Shift and HP Touchpad

Current OS's
Ubuntu 14.10
Linux Deepin 2013
Android 4.4.3
OpenBSD

What OS's I program for
Android
Ubuntu and Ubuntu Touch
WebOS

KYT
Old
Thanks Meter 11

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleached45 View Post
As A TF101 owner, it can be rooted. But I'm assuming you mean you don't want to root his.
And you could always install it to your E4GT and then pull the app, save it somewhere and then uninstall it.
Then sideload it on the Xoom.
Yup close enough. All my stuff is rooted, but as far as some older folks are concerned, some believe roots are for plants. *shrugs*
They still wonder occasionally why they can't see their Gmail when they open the Email app.

It's all good, I might just put GV on there and see if that is good enough before I spend too much time looking into this.

ZerosevEx
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmvxer View Post
Tried the method as per instruction and can't get it to send.

By the way this isn't a nexus 10 its an HP Touchpad.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app
Set the GV icon to YES for statues bar and make sure gvoice is intergrated with the check. Does it instantly fail? if so then you messed up a step but if it trys sending and fails after trying for 10+ seconds this should fix it.