Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

(MOD) How to install Windows Stores apps on sd card

OP tamarasu

9th January 2013, 10:49 AM   |  #21  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by illidanx

Well here is how you change permissions using security setting.

Click on Permissions to open the "Permission for Appx" window. Click on Advanced to open a window like this:



Currently, the owner is TrustedInstaller. Click on Change. In the Select user or group window, click on Advanced..., the click Find now. You will get the list of all possible user/groups on your computer.

Select Administrators (the one with 's'), hit OK, hit OK once more. Make sure you select "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects", then hit OK once more. You should be back at the "Permission for Appx" window now. In this window, select Administrators and check "Full control" box under Allow. Hit OK the last time.

Now you have full control of the registry Appx folder and will be able to change every key inside this folder as you wish.

Thank you for your help. I was able to get it working.
9th January 2013, 01:00 PM   |  #22  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2005
app already installed
and for the app already installed in C:? what's happen if I want to uninstall them?
9th January 2013, 04:57 PM   |  #23  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 43
 
23 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2009
Uninstall still works for apps on C:




Quote:
Originally Posted by perritos

and for the app already installed in C:? what's happen if I want to uninstall them?

9th January 2013, 11:21 PM   |  #24  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,767
 
5,810 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
@kenikh: That would be why I told you to use diskpart.exe... Disk Management sucks for removable storage for some reason.

Admon command prompt -> "diskpart". Basic tips:
Use "list disk" to list all storage.
Use "sel disk [#]" to select the number of the storage device you want (will probably be "1").
"lis part" to get the partitions (should be only one) and "sel part [#] (probably 1) to select it.
"hel shrink" to learn how to use the shrink command (BTW, most commands can be appreviated, as here "hel" instead of "help").
"create" (which you may want to use help on first) to create a new partition in the space revealed by the shrink...
etc. Use "help" in general to get a list of commands you can use.
10th January 2013, 12:01 AM   |  #25  
kenikh's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 41
 
263 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Damn my reading skills!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie

@kenikh: That would be why I told you to use diskpart.exe... Disk Management sucks for removable storage for some reason.

Admon command prompt -> "diskpart". Basic tips:
Use "list disk" to list all storage.
Use "sel disk [#]" to select the number of the storage device you want (will probably be "1").
"lis part" to get the partitions (should be only one) and "sel part [#] (probably 1) to select it.
"hel shrink" to learn how to use the shrink command (BTW, most commands can be appreviated, as here "hel" instead of "help").
"create" (which you may want to use help on first) to create a new partition in the space revealed by the shrink...
etc. Use "help" in general to get a list of commands you can use.

10th January 2013, 03:15 AM   |  #26  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
44 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarasu

Uninstall still works for apps on C:

Any idea how to transfer existing apps to sd? Pending updates fail so for now I restored everything back to default.
10th January 2013, 06:20 AM   |  #27  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 43
 
23 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2009
Easy way: uninstall old apps and reinstall them via the my apps window in the store.
Hard way:robocopy and symbolic link
Manual way: move app and go to where they are stored in the registry(same area as where you changed the key) and change their location key.






Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ98653

Any idea how to transfer existing apps to sd? Pending updates fail so for now I restored everything back to default.

10th January 2013, 07:51 AM   |  #28  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,767
 
5,810 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
Note that the uninstall-reinstall cycle will remove any locally-stored data the apps were keeping. "Roamin" data is preserved (for up to a month, even if you have no other devices with the app installed) but is very space-constrained. Things like game saves may or may not be preserved. You could of course manually back them up, though.
15th February 2013, 05:57 AM   |  #29  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
117 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2008
Can someone help me out but I'm not sure I did it right. I was able to change the directory so my sd card is D. So I changed it to D:\Program Files\Windows Apps. So on my sd card I made a folder of program files and in there a folder named windows apps.Is that correct?? Cause I just tried installing a app ad it said error 0x80070005.
16th February 2013, 05:03 PM   |  #30  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 43
 
23 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2009
Make sure your card is formatted to NTFS.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes