[ROOT][GUIDE]How To Root HTC Butterfly X920D

OP mccmjoon76

16th February 2013, 01:45 PM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 3,991

4,173 posts
Donate to Me
Here is a simple guide for anyone interested in rooting the HTC Butterfly X920D

It's work for me .. but i am not responsible for anything that happens to your device, if u really don't know what u are doing please don't do this .. you've been warned.

1st Step:
1-Unlock the bootloader - HTC Com

Some Idea how to do it = Big thanks to ashwin123

2-Flash TWRP on your Phone : Download and Unzip this tools HERE http://d-h.st/2x9 to Flash TWRP recovery on your Butterfly (just for window) it works for me -thanks joaquinf
3-To get root HERE http://d-h.st/qdq or this http://download.clockworkmod.com/sup.../superuser.zip (update 11.3.14)
Place the SuperSU .zip file on your sdcard
From TWRP, tap Install
Find the file and select it
Swipe the arrow from left to right to install
Tap Reboot System
Done

Watch how to do it : Big thanks to ashwin123 again

Good news u have successful to root and having recovery on your phone Be sure u Back up your current Build before u done any modding and flashing .

Good luck Guys

Edit: If u have more efficient way to (root) the Butterfly just post it here. i will update the op ..

PS : Latest TWRP Recovery 2.6.3.0

Sharing is JOY Hit the THANKS BUTTON Please
Last edited by mccmjoon76; 10th March 2014 at 08:34 PM.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to mccmjoon76 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th February 2013, 12:06 AM   |  #2  
sir do you have instructions on how to go back to stock? I'm on Virtuous right now. Thanks!
17th February 2013, 12:30 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 48

148 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by enyaj

sir do you have instructions on how to go back to stock? I'm on Virtuous right now. Thanks!

you can restore from nandroid backup
http://vps.rana.sg/x920d/
17th February 2013, 09:55 AM   |  #4  
Flag Australia
Thanks Meter: 67

517 posts
More
SU Binary Update
Hi

After I installed SU I select 'binary update" and the phone just restarts/reboots,

Is there a way I can fix this?

Thanks

Aussie
17th February 2013, 09:59 AM   |  #5  
Re: [ROOT][GUIDE]How To Root HTC Butterfly X920D
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie1234

Hi

After I installed SU I select 'binary update" and the phone just restarts/reboots,

Is there a way I can fix this?

Thanks

Aussie

There's a post somewhere where you can fix it. I think it was on the Virtuous rom thread. You'll have to flash a zip through recovery.

Sent from my HTC Butterfly using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to enyaj For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th February 2013, 10:40 AM   |  #6  
Flag Australia
Thanks Meter: 67

517 posts
More
Fixed SuperUser
Quote:
Originally Posted by enyaj

There's a post somewhere where you can fix it. I think it was on the Virtuous rom thread. You'll have to flash a zip through recovery.

Sent from my HTC Butterfly using Tapatalk 2

Great!! Thank you enyaj. It worked for me.

Yes go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...u#post37920285 post 273 and use the Mod provided by Member it2007me.

Please thank him for use of this Mod if it works for you.

Cheers

Aussie
The Following User Says Thank You to aussie1234 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th February 2013, 01:08 PM   |  #7  
OP Recognized Developer

4,173 posts
Donate to Me
I update the OP

I forgot i get it from where - thanks to who that upload it

Now i confirm this SuperSu and buzybox work .. no update issue ..
http://d-h.st/qdq

Enjoy
Last edited by mccmjoon76; 18th February 2013 at 09:56 AM.
19th February 2013, 03:20 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 64

383 posts
Hi guys do any of you have the update.zip for the OTA?

from @TeamAndIRC working on s-off
Quote:

ok yes i need an update.zip for your device, or one with teh same model (carrier doesnt matter)

They need it so our x920d butterfly will be added to the supported devices.
The Following User Says Thank You to keithleyson For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th February 2013, 02:56 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 1

3 posts
Unhappy Help!!!!
Hi guys:

First off I just want to say that I am relatively new to all this. I have successfully rooted my Samsung galaxy S2 in the past (through completely different strategies) and I would really very much appreciated if any of you guys would be able to help me out as I have been trying to root my HTC butterfly for the last 3 hours. And I apologize in advance if the question has been raised before or is nooby, please I am desperate.

I have used a different method than the one instructed on this website in order to root my phone.

These are the steps:

Windows-based PC
HTC Butterfly
Download and install USB drivers on PC. Download HTC USB Driver for Windows
Enable Developer Options on Android 4.2 Jelly Bean. How To Enable Developer Options On Android 4.2 Jelly Bean (Optional – Only applicable for Android 4.2 and above)
Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Device.
Backup your personal data on phone to PC to ensure you keep a copy of your personal data (SMS, MMS, Contacts, Internet Settings, Photos and etc). How to Backup Personal Data On Android Device.
Make sure your phone is charged to 50% to avoid interruption during flashing. How to Check Battery Level On Android Device.
Download

1. All-In-One Toolkit For The HTC Butterfly (Droid_DNA_All-In-One_Kit_v2.1.rar, 22.28MB) – Development Page
Instructions:

Register an account on HTCDEV.
With all the necessary files downloaded, extract Desire_DNA_All-In-One_Kit_v2.1.rar into a folder.
Launch the exe file within the extracted folder.
Connect your phone to the computer via USB cable.
Straight to “Get Token ID” and press “Go“.
A pop-up window will appeared in your computer. Patiently wait until the code complete run.
Right click on the pop-up windows, select “Mark”.
Left click to select the code started from <<<<Identifier Token Start>>>> to <<<<Identifier Token End>>>>. Right click it.
Back to the AIO ToolKit interface, proceed to “Submit Token ID” then “Go“.
A new windows will pop-up. Scroll down the page.
Paste the code under “My Device Identifier Token” and “Submit“
An email will sent to your registered email under HTCDev account.
Download the attached file along with the email.
Copy and paste the downloaded file to data folder within folder extracted in Step 2.
Proceed to “Unlock Bootloader” in AIO Toolkit and “Go“.
In your phone, you will be asked to unlock bootloader. Select Yes to continue.
After the code complete running, your phone will now reboot automatically.
Download CWR and place the downloaded file in the “data” folder of extracted files in step 2.

Your HTC Butterfly has been successfully rooted and with ClockWorkMod Recovery installed.

I have followed the instructions as listed and my phone did reboot and my data was completly wiped clean. However I am not able to do the last step where it tells me to place my ClockWorkMod. I downloaded the file as instructed but I don't think it worked. I installed TitaniumBackUp and RootChecker and both have suggested that my phone has not been rooted.

What should I do now? Should I try using the steps again? I'm afraid that this might "brick" my phone if done repeatedly. Any advice???

Please any help would be immensely appreciated.

Regards,

David
The Following User Says Thank You to Leonidas1989 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th February 2013, 04:58 PM   |  #10  
OP Recognized Developer

4,173 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas1989

Hi guys:

First off I just want to say that I am relatively new to all this. I have successfully rooted my Samsung galaxy S2 in the past (through completely different strategies) and I would really very much appreciated if any of you guys would be able to help me out as I have been trying to root my HTC butterfly for the last 3 hours. And I apologize in advance if the question has been raised before or is nooby, please I am desperate.

I have used a different method than the one instructed on this website in order to root my phone.

These are the steps:

Windows-based PC
HTC Butterfly
Download and install USB drivers on PC. Download HTC USB Driver for Windows
Enable Developer Options on Android 4.2 Jelly Bean. How To Enable Developer Options On Android 4.2 Jelly Bean (Optional – Only applicable for Android 4.2 and above)
Enable USB Debugging on your device. How to Enable USB Debugging Mode on Android Device.
Backup your personal data on phone to PC to ensure you keep a copy of your personal data (SMS, MMS, Contacts, Internet Settings, Photos and etc). How to Backup Personal Data On Android Device.
Make sure your phone is charged to 50% to avoid interruption during flashing. How to Check Battery Level On Android Device.
Download

1. All-In-One Toolkit For The HTC Butterfly (Droid_DNA_All-In-One_Kit_v2.1.rar, 22.28MB) – Development Page
Instructions:

Register an account on HTCDEV.
With all the necessary files downloaded, extract Desire_DNA_All-In-One_Kit_v2.1.rar into a folder.
Launch the exe file within the extracted folder.
Connect your phone to the computer via USB cable.
Straight to “Get Token ID” and press “Go“.
A pop-up window will appeared in your computer. Patiently wait until the code complete run.
Right click on the pop-up windows, select “Mark”.
Left click to select the code started from <<<<Identifier Token Start>>>> to <<<<Identifier Token End>>>>. Right click it.
Back to the AIO ToolKit interface, proceed to “Submit Token ID” then “Go“.
A new windows will pop-up. Scroll down the page.
Paste the code under “My Device Identifier Token” and “Submit“
An email will sent to your registered email under HTCDev account.
Download the attached file along with the email.
Copy and paste the downloaded file to data folder within folder extracted in Step 2.
Proceed to “Unlock Bootloader” in AIO Toolkit and “Go“.
In your phone, you will be asked to unlock bootloader. Select Yes to continue.
After the code complete running, your phone will now reboot automatically.
Download CWR and place the downloaded file in the “data” folder of extracted files in step 2.

Your HTC Butterfly has been successfully rooted and with ClockWorkMod Recovery installed.

I have followed the instructions as listed and my phone did reboot and my data was completly wiped clean. However I am not able to do the last step where it tells me to place my ClockWorkMod. I downloaded the file as instructed but I don't think it worked. I installed TitaniumBackUp and RootChecker and both have suggested that my phone has not been rooted.

What should I do now? Should I try using the steps again? I'm afraid that this might "brick" my phone if done repeatedly. Any advice???

Please any help would be immensely appreciated.

Regards,

David

1st congratulation u have 'brick' your phone ! No lah.... Joking

U have S-OFF

If follow the instruction on Step 2 u should have TWRP Recovery .

Step 3.. u need flash SuperSu and buzybox to get rooted ..

Just press power key to restart .Press and hold volume 'down' key to get to 'fastboot'

Scroll down using volume key to select 'Recovery' than u will know if u successful to flash the TWRP recovery or not .

If yes.. follow step 3 .. flash SuperSu..

Done .

Sry for the bad English.. hope u understand

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread