Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,266 Members 45,028 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Note 2 SDS (sudden death syndrome)

Tip us?
 
rodrigoyasuda
Old
#201  
Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 65
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default Re: Note 2 SDS (sudden death syndrome)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mando7980 View Post
Thanks man
I already updated to 4.1.2

Baseband version : N7100XXDLK7

Kernal version : 3.0.31-679347
Se.infra@SEP-108 #1
SMP PREEMPT Thu jun 24 16:24

Build number : JZO54K.N7100XXDMA6

But eMMc still affected by the bug

Type: VTU00M
Date: 7/2012
FwRev: 0xf1

Note-II Sudden Death?
Yes. Insane chip.

What can I do ???
Your eMMC will always be affected.
The thing is Samsung has a workaround in latest releases to "fix" that by avoiding eMMC to brick.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to rodrigoyasuda For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
-Sinan-
Old
#202  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 4
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigoyasuda View Post
Your eMMC will always be affected.
The thing is Samsung has a workaround in latest releases to "fix" that by avoiding eMMC to brick.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium
Just bought N7100 a week ago and it came with 4.1.2 .

eMMC chip
Type: VTU00M
FwRev: 0xf1

Note-II Sudden Death?
YES. Insane chip.

Got root only, nothing strange happens for now.

What do you guys suggest, if I take it to service will they replace the board with safe one or do I have to wait for my chip to fry?
 
rodrigoyasuda
Old
#203  
Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 65
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default Re: Note 2 SDS (sudden death syndrome)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sinan- View Post
Just bought N7100 a week ago and it came with 4.1.2 .

eMMC chip
Type: VTU00M
FwRev: 0xf1

Note-II Sudden Death?
YES. Insane chip.

Got root only, nothing strange happens for now.

What do you guys suggest, if I take it to service will they replace the board with safe one or do I have to wait for my chip to fry?
I don't think they will replace your board if it's working just fine. You may need to wait for the problems to happen.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to rodrigoyasuda For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
[dcw]aaron
Old
#204  
[dcw]aaron's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 61
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Davao City
if the the affected n7100 units have already been updated to 4.1.2 then is it safe to root and install custom roms?
 
Soupie
Old
#205  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 9
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sinan- View Post
Just bought N7100 a week ago and it came with 4.1.2 .

eMMC chip
Type: VTU00M
FwRev: 0xf1

Note-II Sudden Death?
YES. Insane chip.

Got root only, nothing strange happens for now.

What do you guys suggest, if I take it to service will they replace the board with safe one or do I have to wait for my chip to fry?
May I ask you to do a little test on your phone?

Type *#12580*369# into the dialer. This will give your information on hardware and software your phone is running. This is a safe test as detailed here.....Supported USSD codes

What I am trying to do is find a test I can do on the Note 2 before I buy one. I posted earlier but got no replies. Phones I have tried locally have HW Rev 1.3 which I am thinking is a later version of the motherboard and should not have the affected chip. If yours has HW Rev 1.1 and has the affected chip maybe this is a test that can be done to find out if the phone is safe before you buy it. I am of course assuming that the display models I am testing are the same as the stock being sold.

Any comments on the above are welcome as I am a noob to this phone and could be completely mistaken about this.
 
rodrigoyasuda
Old
#206  
Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 65
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default Re: Note 2 SDS (sudden death syndrome)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupie View Post
May I ask you to do a little test on your phone?

Type *#12580*369# into the dialer. This will give your information on hardware and software your phone is running. This is a safe test as detailed here.....Supported USSD codes

What I am trying to do is find a test I can do on the Note 2 before I buy one. I posted earlier but got no replies. Phones I have tried locally have HW Rev 1.3 which I am thinking is a later version of the motherboard and should not have the affected chip. If yours has HW Rev 1.1 and has the affected chip maybe this is a test that can be done to find out if the phone is safe before you buy it. I am of course assuming that the display models I am testing are the same as the stock being sold.

Any comments on the above are welcome as I am a noob to this phone and could be completely mistaken about this.
Actually I have a board with rev 1.3 that has the affected chip.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium
 
Soupie
Old
#207  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 9
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigoyasuda View Post
Actually I have a board with rev 1.3 that has the affected chip.
Thanks for replying.

Can you confirm that your emmc is VTU00M 0xf1 and not 0xf7 ?

I really want to buy a Note 2 but can't bring myself to spend so much on what may be a flawed device.
 
pitflyer
Old
#208  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 260
Join Date: Feb 2010
Think my $569 note ii from DailySteals in December just got hit.

Phone was working fine, was sitting on my desk. Came back and screen was dark and would not power on. OK, annoying, but thought it was a random crash (I'm completely stock, unrooted, and its happened a handful of times). Would not power back up, so did the whole pull battery and try again, still nothing. Notice when I plug it in it doesn't charge -- the red light doesn't come on. And when I press the power button it flashes red light.

All symptoms of SDS. I'll let it charge overnight and maybe I'll get lucky, but I took the gamble on NOT getting the SquareTrade warranty and now I'm hosed. I bought my Galaxy Nexus international grey market last time, no problems so I skipped the warranty ... sucks! I really like the Note II but not sure if I like paying for it twice and having to likely pay a premium to get an 'official' warranty.
Galaxy Note II (SDS repaired), Nexus 4
 
EarlZ
Old
#209  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 272
Posts: 5,697
Join Date: Jun 2010
Did anyone here experience the SDS on their N2, not interested in hearing about " a friend of my friends note 2 died of the SDS"
 
pitflyer
Old
#210  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 260
Join Date: Feb 2010
See above. I have SDS on my Note II, hereafter known as the most expensive paper weight ever
Galaxy Note II (SDS repaired), Nexus 4

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes