Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Nexus 7 4.2.2 JDQ39 update rolling out in USA?

OP bfranclemont

16th February 2013, 05:28 PM   |  #441  
Thanks Meter: 32

26 posts
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftb0

I looked at the TWRP sources for fix permissions and indeed this looks like it does what you are looking for - it reads the package listing in /data/system/packages.xml and then enforces the uid/gid information found there on each app data folder.

My c++ reading skills aren't all they should be, but I note there is a place in there involving multi-user where the coder punted a little bit. Given that 4.2 is potentially multiuser (do you have more than one user set up?), I suppose YMMV.

Take a Android backup before you run fix permissions in the recovery; that way you can always revert if you don't care for the result.

good luck.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I started comparing the uids as you suggested, but there were just too many. It would have taken ages.
After seeing your comment update, I decided to go for it. I do not have more than one user.
I allowed the OTA update to 4.2.2 (I had flashed back to 4.2.1 stock), rooted and flashed TWRP.
I was still getting the UID error so I did as you said and took a backup in TWRP and then let it do its thing.

- all UIDs now fixed.

Once again, thank you for the help.

Just one last question, because I am a bit confused:

What did you mean by "Probably it is a bit safer to do this via adb in recovery...".
If I put the Nexus in Recovery mode, I cannot connect via ADB. Or did you mean something else?
16th February 2013, 07:11 PM   |  #442  
Thanks Meter: 3

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbruce

To receive the OTA update I just have cleaned the data and forced to stop these services:

1 - Google services framework
2 - Google play services
3 - Google play store

This was exactly what I was looking for - I knew I had to reset some google services, but I didn't know which...
The Following User Says Thank You to madbadmax For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th February 2013, 10:30 PM   |  #443  
Thanks Meter: 7

61 posts
Has anyone in New England, USA received the Android 4.2.2 update for their Nexus 7?

If so when and how would you rate it?
17th February 2013, 12:40 AM   |  #444  
Thanks Meter: 3

124 posts
Donate to Me
More
I also got the notification for the OTA Update. I pressed install button and then Nexus rebooted into TWRP and doesnt perform any update.

After rebooting i found no downloaded File for the Update. And Ver is still 4.2.1...

(Stock nothing Changed)

Mara
17th February 2013, 01:09 AM   |  #445  
Flag Orange County
Thanks Meter: 42

99 posts
More
Re: Nexus 7 4.2.2 JDQ39 update rolling out in USA?
Disconnect from wifi before clearing the Google services.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
17th February 2013, 02:12 AM   |  #446  
Thanks Meter: 822

2,148 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by devra1

Just one last question, because I am a bit confused:

What did you mean by "Probably it is a bit safer to do this via adb in recovery...".
If I put the Nexus in Recovery mode, I cannot connect via ADB. Or did you mean something else?

Both CWM and TWRP have the "adbd" daemon running by default - you certainly can use adb with either. I suppose this means you just don't have your drivers 100% set up yet.

I haven't checked what CWM recovery does, but TWRP sets up its' adb connection with a different hardware VID/PID (Vendor ID/Product ID) than what Google uses with the normal OS booted. These VID/PIDs are the values that Windows inspects to figure out what driver should be used when you plug a device onto the USB host bus. The Google or Asus USB driver can be fixed up (by editing the driver .inf file to include the VID/PID pair used by TWRP), or I suppose you could use the XDA Universal Naked Driver.

In either case, if you say you can't presently talk to the tab in the custom recovery boot, you should be seeing an "unknown device" in the device manager. Get a driver installed on it!

The "safer" bit was that the /system and /data partitions don't have a bunch of live apps running on top of them in the recovery, so there is no chance of something unexpected happening in the midst of doing file maintenance operations.

good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to bftb0 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th February 2013, 04:03 AM   |  #447  

88 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrManson666

Strange. I've got a 3G model.
Yesterday it said there is an update available. I just tried to apply it but the procedure failed.
I could restart the N7 as normal but now it says the 4.2.1 ist the latest version?!

exact same thing just happened to me.

Sent from my Nexus 7
17th February 2013, 04:46 AM   |  #448  
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 412

1,130 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfingersfly

exact same thing just happened to me.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I assume you have a custom recovery installed? If so, that's why.
17th February 2013, 05:11 AM   |  #449  

88 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonic

I assume you have a custom recovery installed? If so, that's why.

nope. mine is just rooted and has the tethering and potable hotspot option enabled

Sent from my Nexus 7
17th February 2013, 05:17 AM   |  #450  
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 412

1,130 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfingersfly

nope. mine is just rooted and has the tethering and potable hotspot option enabled

Sent from my Nexus 7

Did you undo the tethering and portable hotspot hack? If not, and your system isn't brough back to stock, the OTA update will fail before it starts. If that modification didn't come with a rollback plan, your best bet is to just flash the full 4.2.2 system image.

The Following User Says Thank You to phonic For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread