FORUMS

OnePlus 2 Announced: Specs, Price and Details

The OnePlus 2 has just had its Virtual Reality Launch event, and at the XDA Office we all … more

A Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services

With the launch of Apple Music, music streaming services have recently gained a lot of … more

An Inside Look at the Redesign of Business Calendar

The much-acclaimed calendar app, Business Calendar, underwent a major design … more

New Android One Device Dead On Arrival

Today, Google announced the second generation of Android One devices, with the new Lava Pixel … more

Why one should never unlock the Motorola Razr HD bootloader (xt925) !

321 posts
Thanks Meter: 53
 
By itzik_man, Senior Member on 15th February 2013, 01:27 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
16th February 2013, 09:02 PM |#11  
epinter's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag Sao Paulo
Thanks Meter: 7,397
 
Donate to Me
More
I disagree from the op.
Every change to device firmware compromises the warranty, not just bootloader, read the agreements ... If you exploit a bug to have root access, you will have to fool everyone who will have contact with your phone so they don't see what you have done. Even if you try to "reverse" the root, you(or the program you use) will always leave a trace.
Last edited by epinter; 16th February 2013 at 09:04 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to epinter For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
16th February 2013, 09:13 PM |#12  
ibsk8's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Omaha NE
Thanks Meter: 40
 
More
Re: Why one should never unlock the Motorola Razr HD bootloader (xt925) !
We should be promoting "unlock the world"
This is not to imply everything should be free, however if I own something it should be mine in every regard, that includes breaking it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

@skrilax thanks for you work on the a500.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to ibsk8 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th February 2013, 09:19 PM |#13  
Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 32
 
More
I have xt925, first thing I did was unlock boot loader. Then I updated ota to Telstra JB. OP is misleading people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darbness For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th February 2013, 09:20 PM |#14  
itzik_man's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Montreal, Quebec
Thanks Meter: 53
 
More
Quote:

Once again.

A) The reason why the page says "no updates" is beacuse OTA updates only work when you're on stock firmware, which is unlikely when you have the bootloader unlocked. That's all.

B) There are things that such "agreement" cannot contain. Being unable to sell the phone is one of them in most countries.

To end my part in this discussion: The limitations, restrictions & disadvantages of unlocking the bootloader are much greater then any benefit or gain under the current availability of development !
16th February 2013, 10:38 PM |#15  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 308
 
More
Re: Why one should never unlock the Motorola Razr HD bootloader (xt925) !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbness

I have xt925, first thing I did was unlock boot loader. Then I updated ota to Telstra JB. OP is misleading people.

Have you tried out lte tethering? It doesn't work on Rogers.
17th February 2013, 12:11 AM |#16  
itzik_man's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Montreal, Quebec
Thanks Meter: 53
 
More
To epinter -
Quote:

I disagree from the op.
Every change to device firmware compromises the warranty, not just bootloader, read the agreements ... If you exploit a bug to have root access, you will have to fool everyone who will have contact with your phone so they don't see what you have done. Even if you try to "reverse" the root, you(or the program you use) will always leave a trace.http://www.linuxmobile

I did not notice your response at first, now to the point -
Without any disrespect to the work, time & effort invested, the main point is being ignored by the developers: All comments I got on this OP didn't touched the number one reason of my suggestion to not unlock the bootloader: There in not really enough of a variety of development options today to justification the bootloader unlocked of the xt925.
17th February 2013, 12:36 AM |#17  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 60
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilax_CZ

Cons one by one:
Yes, although you have to be careful, because there are scirpts checking if you're rooted.

Can someone elaborate on this point; I read in another thread that when you remove all rooted apps and data, clear out the files left in /system, that there is still info stored stated if the device has ever been rooted, and that this can be cleared using an app on a PC (don't remember which) however when I looked at the app it was specific to the XT926 and thus I wouldn't be able to use it.

After a thorough clean of every rooted app and everything left behind by rooted apps, is there a known way (or assumed to be working way) on XT925 to erase the record of the root.

Also, assuming I was to get my phone back to that state and remove proof of root, what specifically do I need to do in order to be careful as stated... or is epinter correct in saying that there is always a trace left behind, and if so, is this a blatant trace or something that hasn't been of much concern for Motorola in the past when servicing phones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombs1234

At least on my O2 Germany xt925 I got the update OTA from ICS to JB after unlocking. Had to return to the stock bootloader because the OTA relies on it after rebooting though.

How would I return to a stock bootloader if I were to unlock mine and an OTA didn't work? How did you do it?
17th February 2013, 01:09 AM |#18  
Skrilax_CZ's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,856
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzik_man

The limitations, restrictions & disadvantages of unlocking the bootloader are much greater then any benefit or gain under the current availability of development !

It's your decision whether to unlock the bootloader or not. I'm just saying (for other users) that many of the cons you wrote were absolutely incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantsDownJedi

Can someone elaborate on this point; I read in another thread that when you remove all rooted apps and data, clear out the files left in /system, that there is still info stored stated if the device has ever been rooted, and that this can be cleared using an app on a PC (don't remember which) however when I looked at the app it was specific to the XT926 and thus I wouldn't be able to use it.

After a thorough clean of every rooted app and everything left behind by rooted apps, is there a known way (or assumed to be working way) on XT925 to erase the record of the root.

Also, assuming I was to get my phone back to that state and remove proof of root, what specifically do I need to do in order to be careful as stated... or is epinter correct in saying that there is always a trace left behind, and if so, is this a blatant trace or something that hasn't been of much concern for Motorola in the past when servicing phones?

I believe there is something stored in the pds partition. Or at least it is that way on Droid RAZR XT912 and you had to fix it to remove the remaining traces. Flashing FXZ is also a way how to get a clean stock firmware, but pds partition is not affected that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantsDownJedi

How would I return to a stock bootloader if I were to unlock mine and an OTA didn't work? How did you do it?

I think he meant "stock firmware" instead of "stock bootloader"
Last edited by Skrilax_CZ; 17th February 2013 at 01:16 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skrilax_CZ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th February 2013, 01:16 AM |#19  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 60
 
More
So if that were the case on this phone, I wonder if doing a dd backup of the pds partition before rooting at ICS, for restoring after downgrade, would be the way to go. Assuming it restores properly, it would be a good thing to add to the sticky thread about rooting. I did a dd of all my partitions except for /data last night, but I'm already rooted.

hmm... I'm wondering if there's something inaccessable in /system or even the sdcard since they get mounted with fuse. My only other Android phone was the Galaxy S II which was pretty straightforward and dead simple to root and unroot. I was surprised to see the fuse module being used to mount anything when I got this one.
Last edited by PantsDownJedi; 17th February 2013 at 01:23 AM.
17th February 2013, 01:26 AM |#20  
Skrilax_CZ's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,856
 
More
The original topic is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1857558
I don't know if there was a proper fix developed (haven't checked) on the RAZR.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skrilax_CZ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th February 2013, 01:04 PM |#21  
itzik_man's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Montreal, Quebec
Thanks Meter: 53
 
More
Skrilax_CZ
Quote:

It's your decision whether to unlock the bootloader or not. I'm just saying (for other users) that many of the cons you wrote were absolutely incorrect.

Every Every line in my OP is a fact ! (you don't like what it imply)
What is debatable: The suggestion whether to unlock BL, YES or NO !

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes