Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,619 Members 46,775 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] about the new Amazon Instant Video app

Tip us?

bikeracer4487
Old
Thanks Meter 27
There's a new app that basically lets you spoof your device as one of a few other devices (one of them being the Kindle Fire HD): http://codekiem.com/2013/02/13/market-helper/

Any chance we could use this to download the Amazon Instant Video app and fool it into thinking it's running on a Kindle Fire HD?
Current Phone:
Nexus 5 ~ stock Android 4.4.2

Past Phones:
HTC One (AT&T modded into Google Edition) ~ CyanogenMod 10.2 ~ Android 4.3
HTC One X (AT&T) ~ CyanogenMod 10.1 ~ Android 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy S II GT-I9100 (AT&T) ~ CyanogenMod 9 ~ Android 4.0.4

spunker88
Old
Thanks Meter 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeracer4487 View Post
There's a new app that basically lets you spoof your device as one of a few other devices (one of them being the Kindle Fire HD): http://codekiem.com/2013/02/13/market-helper/

Any chance we could use this to download the Amazon Instant Video app and fool it into thinking it's running on a Kindle Fire HD?
That only lets you download apps from Google Play which aren't compatible. Would have been useful when the Google TV Amazon Video app first came out, but we already got someone with a compatible TV to get the apk:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7&postcount=37

The problem with that apk is its failing to run due to missing files from the LG Google TV that aren't in regular android. Meanwhile, the Kindle Fire ripped apk is outside of Google Play as it only ships on Kindle Fires.
Motorola Droid Bionic
Stock 4.1.2 Rooted
CM11 4.4 Safestrap

HP Touchpad
Evervolv 4.4

Toshiba Encore
Windows 8.1

EniGmA1987
Old
Thanks Meter 703
Anyone have more info on getting this working with other devices?

J913B
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGmA1987 View Post
Anyone have more info on getting this working with other devices?
This ^

cloud1771
Old
Thanks Meter 0
currently I only have several Android phones. And I am in the market for a Tablet... reading though this post makes it look like if i want a android tablet that had a app for instant video I better get a Kindle fire and root it to have the rest of the function of the tablet.

It was between the Nexus 10 and the Kindle Fire HD 8.9.

Has anyone got the Amazon Instant Video app to work on any other device other than a kindle fire???

bookworm6
Old
Thanks Meter 1
This has become more significant in light of Amazon's enabling of Adobe DRM on their videos. As far as I know now, there is no possible way to watch Amazon Instant Video on Android devices...

BmoreBadBoy
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I just started fooling around with remote desktop servers/clients and 1 workaround is to connect to a remote windows desktop, open up a browser on that computer and watch amazon prime that way. It's convoluted and the picture is choppy but maybe with some tuning it could be workable...

Gonzorito
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Bmore, I was thinking the same thing at this point.

Did you use splashtop? Find anything better? I know it's not free anymore (officially).

I've tried others, and splashtop seems to have the smoothest performance for playing video remotely (and games).

BmoreBadBoy
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Gonzo, Did you try 2x client/server?

That's what I'm using since they are free for personal use. I just started messing around with it, so I'm not sure how well it will work, but I did get it to play, although the picture clipped and I couldn't hear anything. When I do some more experimenting, I'll report back. If anyone else has more experience with this, please share...

BmoreBadBoy
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Anyone who wants to tell amazon prime to take it's DRM against android and shove it up their arse go find market helper online (not on google play).

I'm watching spongebob HD on my gn2 spoofed as an amazon kindle hd. Next, Justified!!! Now I can enjoy my subscription to the fullest once again. Make sure to leave a donation on the developer's page...