5,593,793 Members 46,362 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Why does the YouTube app suck so bad?

Tip us?

xbmoyx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 525
Default Why does the YouTube app suck so bad?

As a big YouTube watcher I am so tired of this crap. I mean jeez I'm on pretty fast LTE and all I get is constant buffering. I can't watch an HD view for more then 30 seconds without it buffering for 5-10 seconds. And if I turn the HD off the picture looks so horrible I can barely make out what I'm watching. Anything that can be done to improve this?

Sent from my EVO using xda premium
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1361027572609.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1734646   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1361027588760.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1734647  

aarsyl
Old
Thanks Meter 568
Default Re: Why does the YouTube app suck so bad?

I was beginning to thunk that it was my internet. Even when I use TubeMate to download the videos before I watch them (which I usually do), I've noticed that the downloads run a LOT slower. I'm talking from 5MBps to 200KBps.

bennyboy78
Old
(Last edited by bennyboy78; 16th February 2013 at 10:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 362

Yea I think the YouTube app is having problems. Or YouTube itself is having issues.

I was on a fast wifi connection and could not even get normal non hd videos to play without ridiculous amounts of waiting and buffering. Forget hd, those just kept buffering and buffering on WiFi.

Probably youtubes servers

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to bennyboy78 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xbmoyx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 525

Well I guess the bright side is I'm not the only one experiencing this problem...

The Following User Says Thank You to xbmoyx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aarsyl
Old
Thanks Meter 568

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboy78 View Post
Yea I think the YouTube app is having problems. Or YouTube itself is having issues.

I was on a fast wifi connection and could not even get normal non hd videos to play without ridiculous amounts of waiting and buffering. Forget hd, those just kept buffering and buffering on WiFi.

Probably youtubes servers

Has anyone tried using YouTube from a desktop computer to see exactly how prevalent these problems are?

bennyboy78
Old
Thanks Meter 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarsyl View Post
Has anyone tried using YouTube from a desktop computer to see exactly how prevalent these problems are?

xbmoyx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 525

I only have an Asus laptop as well.

mito8485
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbmoyx View Post
As a big YouTube watcher I am so tired of this crap. I mean jeez I'm on pretty fast LTE and all I get is constant buffering. I can't watch an HD view for more then 30 seconds without it buffering for 5-10 seconds. And if I turn the HD off the picture looks so horrible I can barely make out what I'm watching. Anything that can be done to improve this?

Yeah the app is crap. I have the same issues on my nexus 7. What i do now is put the browser as default for playing videos. So now when i click on a link it opens up youtube from the browser and works flawless.

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

As of today Youtube isn't running so hott on my desktop either just keeps skipping using chrome. I don't know if it has to do with my uverse or youtube servers. The funny thing is I just used the app on my phone and it played fine finally lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to mito8485 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

om4
Old
Thanks Meter 905

DONATE TO ME

I think youtube was having problems a few days ago, I know I read something about server issues around that time.
DON'T PANIC: A relevant and useful guide to all things root
To anyone who has ever claimed something as idiot proof, clearly you have not met my father in law
The Following User Says Thank You to om4 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

midmadn
Old
Thanks Meter 77

Ga

Sent from my MeanBean optimized and supercharged ElteVO.

The Following User Says Thank You to midmadn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]