Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Dock productivity review?

OP cheater1

17th February 2013, 04:39 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
I have the asus transformer tf700 and I'm trying to decide to get a dock or not. I only need a dock to write lab reports. My report will need images and equations. How productive is the tf700 at writing reports? And which word processing app with support images and equations?
Last edited by cheater1; 17th February 2013 at 04:44 AM.
25th February 2013, 12:25 AM   |  #2  
Junior Member
Flag Kaunas, LTU
Thanks Meter: 55
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheater1

I have the asus transformer tf700 and I'm trying to decide to get a dock or not. I only need a dock to write lab reports. My report will need images and equations. How productive is the tf700 at writing reports? And which word processing app with support images and equations?

Depends on the software. In my case the dock was certainly worth its cost - I use my TF700 as my main laptop after installing Ubuntu. I'm mostly programming (lots of typing) so you can imagine how much my productivity depends on the keyboard Well, the decrease wasn't very noticeable.

(Note - don't be tempted to install ubuntu on TF700 if you're not familiar with linux. There's still a lot of rought corners that need to be rounded )
28th February 2013, 06:55 AM   |  #3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
Re: Dock productivity review?
I got my infinity at the beginning of the fall semester, and tried to use it for lab reports. The included polaris office is far less convenient for word processing than microsoft word. And its spreadsheet function is not comparable at all to excel. But now there are options to use microsoft office programs on the tablet, and it is becoming more convenient to use the tablet as a laptop replacement.

My point is that you can use the infinity for what you want it. Your laptop would probably be faster and easier (mainly because of familiarity), but the functionality is right on par.
28th February 2013, 02:52 PM   |  #4  
ShadowLea's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Enschede, The Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 1,037
 
4,155 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
I use it to write pretty much all of my reports. Polaris office is crap, but Kingsoft (free) works fine, as does Officesuite Pro (not free). Wouldn't want to part with the dock, writing on the screen doesn't work for me. Also, suggestion-typing drives me to near insanity; I hate it. I do 140 wpm on a keyboard, I don't need typing aid. So the Dock is the way to go for me.
28th February 2013, 09:52 PM   |  #5  
Member
Thanks Meter: 36
 
97 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvka13

Depends on the software. In my case the dock was certainly worth its cost - I use my TF700 as my main laptop after installing Ubuntu. I'm mostly programming (lots of typing) so you can imagine how much my productivity depends on the keyboard Well, the decrease wasn't very noticeable.

(Note - don't be tempted to install ubuntu on TF700 if you're not familiar with linux. There's still a lot of rought corners that need to be rounded )

Is it still dirt terrible slow because you have to VNC to get graphical desktop?

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

The area ive found where the TFs (and android in general) really suffer, is any form of multitasking. The OS is just not made for that. 4.2.2 and GMD gesture control help a bit, but its still pretty miserable.

As far as just enhancing typing? The dock is perfect
1st March 2013, 08:50 AM   |  #6  
kali113's Avatar
Member
Flag Cluj-Napoca
Thanks Meter: 14
 
71 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvka13

Depends on the software. In my case the dock was certainly worth its cost - I use my TF700 as my main laptop after installing Ubuntu. I'm mostly programming (lots of typing) so you can imagine how much my productivity depends on the keyboard Well, the decrease wasn't very noticeable.

(Note - don't be tempted to install ubuntu on TF700 if you're not familiar with linux. There's still a lot of rought corners that need to be rounded )

what enviroment are you programming in? what are you running on ubuntu on the tf700?
Thanks in advance, I mostly use eclipse, but I cant seem to be able to run it on rabbit's build.
1st March 2013, 09:47 PM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Office alternatives
Quote:
Originally Posted by tttimmcg

I got my infinity at the beginning of the fall semester, and tried to use it for lab reports. The included polaris office is far less convenient for word processing than microsoft word. And its spreadsheet function is not comparable at all to excel. But now there are options to use microsoft office programs on the tablet, and it is becoming more convenient to use the tablet as a laptop replacement.

My point is that you can use the infinity for what you want it. Your laptop would probably be faster and easier (mainly because of familiarity), but the functionality is right on par.

I use PlanMaker Mobile, Presentations Mobile and TextMaker Mobile as good replacements for Excel, PowerPoint and Word respectively. I think they cost about $10 apiece and are a great bargain. Add PrinterShare Pro to access printers and you're in business for this kind of application.
The Following User Says Thank You to efalis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd March 2013, 07:17 PM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Flag Marietta, Georgia
Thanks Meter: 38
 
287 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by efalis

I use PlanMaker Mobile, Presentations Mobile and TextMaker Mobile as good replacements for Excel, PowerPoint and Word respectively. I think they cost about $10 apiece and are a great bargain. Add PrinterShare Pro to access printers and you're in business for this kind of application.

I am on the same set-up and it works very well for me. Really is worth the investment.Trying to recreate the text fields from an original document just wasn't working well with the others for me.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes