Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,816 Members 39,299 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Best replacement launcher for Note

Tip us?

godmakarand
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Default Re: Best replacement launcher for Note

Have you tried setting it as default launcher, and selecting aggressive desktop in nova settings?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
GT I9500
searching for root

incisivekeith
Old
Thanks Meter 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by godmakarand View Post
Have you tried setting it as default launcher, and selecting aggressive desktop in nova settings?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
It's already the default launcher. I haven't tried the aggressive setting, and I will, but are you and others not facing this issue at all? It would be good to find out what's causing it.

Criskelo 4.04 ICS LRK v11.2, LRK Modem, speedmod k3-15 kernel, Carrier: AT&T (US)
Device: Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 (international)
ROM: Criskelo 4.0.4 ICS ROM XXLRK v11.2
Modem: XXLRK
Kernel: speedmod k 3-13

incisivekeith
Old
Thanks Meter 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by incisivekeith View Post
It's already the default launcher. I haven't tried the aggressive setting, and I will, but are you and others not facing this issue at all? It would be good to find out what's causing it.

Criskelo 4.04 ICS LRK v11.2, LRK Modem, speedmod k3-15 kernel, Carrier: AT&T (US)
I tried the aggressive settings. Nova Launcher does not retain the icons after a reboot. Are there any more suggestions? Also, how do I stop Nova from creating icons on the screen after installing an app?

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 (international)
ROM: Criskelo 4.0.4 ICS ROM XXLRK v11.2
Modem: XXLRK
Kernel: speedmod k 3-13

shintenkenX
Old
(Last edited by shintenkenX; 18th February 2013 at 09:51 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Flashed my Gnote w/ Asylum CM10.1, built in Nova launcher is ok but I tried Next launcher 3D and was more impressed, snappier, smoother and 99% lag free, plus I like the random effects [COLOR="Silver"]

richterbelmont
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default APEX

apex launcher for me is the best! been using it for 2 years and so far im still satisfied!

godmakarand
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Default SWOT Analysis TSF Shell

SWOT Analysis TSF lauancher
(Tried on galaxy note N7000)
Strengths - first and foremost is its rendering. I think this is the only launcher other than Atom which uses full pixel capacity of Note. At least it makes you believe this. Somehow the same widgets and apps placed on TSF home screen come out better than all other launchers. It's another amazing property is grid less home screen, which still allows you to have some semblance of grid because of its icon arranger. Which I think is unique to this launcher. Grid less home screen allows nicer arrangement for some contacts widgets. In all other launchers they resize to show half people tiles. Only in TSF is it possible to arrange them to show in perfect combination.
It's another strength is its vertical sidebar. This makes things a lot easier. And, well, adds class to the whole experience. TSF gives you a feeling that somehow the developers have understood the touch very well. Touch and gestures are used beautifully to control the home screen, folders and app arranger. It's lasso mode is fantastic and becomes a habit. I inadvertently keep looking for the same in all other launchers, just to find that it's not available. Transporting apps and widgets from one screen to another is very simple. This also becomes a habit after some use. There are many app drawer transitions and all of them work amazingly. The animation is fantastic. I am not using many of the widgets and other pinups, as they keep on hogging the battery and RAM. It is simply great as a style statement and makes you standout in the otherwise ordinary launcher market.
Weakness - hmmm... There are many. One is the price tag. But this is altogether developers domain. And Inspite of steep price I have bought it. So what the hell. It's only important before you tap the buy button. After that all launchers price is same. I was frustrated over not being able to arrange my apps in separate tabs in app drawer. Which I use extensively for organisation. And I have found the same pretty useful. That is one of the major reasons for going back to Nova, Apex.
Another trouble is that there are no options for home screen transitions. There is only one method of simple slide with vibrating icons. A after some time I was bored by the same. Surely, when so many options are provided for app drawer, it should not be too difficult to provide some for home screen transitions.
Another major reason for returning to Nova, was meagrely support for third party widgets. I find that frustrating. Sometimes I take great pains to set up my home screens, and when you change the launchers you find that most favourite things are missing as they are not supported.
There is no autorotate mode. And I suggest not to try the landscape mode of TSF launcher. It's horrible. After setting up my home screens in portrait mode, I just tried landscape. After using other launchers one just assumes to get things done in correct manner when orientation is changed. But this launcher fumbles badly. Widgets leave their place, they overlap, and you have to spend a lot of time just searching them and getting them back to their correct position. And then again the nightmare of rotating everything back to portrait. It's horrible. One other aspect that I found was, this launcher was keeping the phone awake and hence using CPU a lot more. Resultant battery loss was evident. But the same may have been caused by some widget I used. I will try to troubleshoot the same later. There are very few options available for gestures. In nova I have set it up for recent apps to show up when I slide up. This unique operation is only possible in nova and in no other launcher is it possible.
Opportunities - just imagine how beautiful it would be to arrange apps along a path, all automatically rotated towards its Center of gravity. An updated version of app arranger perhaps, but it needs just one swipe of hand and all the apps are arranged along one smooth curve. That will be nice. Currently it takes a lot of efforts to place and rotate the apps manually. Then again the placement and rotation is not so correct and the whole effect is lost. What otherwise would have looked good starts looking shabby. All the weaknesses are opportunities actually, but in addition to all of them this one addition will be extremely nice. And at this price it's reasonable to expect this.
Threats - none really other than extremely stable and more reasonably priced launchers, which perform great. As far as 3d launchers are concerned there are no threats.
I hope this helps members here. I have been trying many launchers lately and I will try and keep on posting analysis of other launchers as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to godmakarand For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eyeoncomputers
Old
Thanks Meter 11
+1 for Apex launcher.

I like the stock UI feel and it has the option to cache the launcher in the memory, so there is no lag when using it or when returning to the launcher from an app or game.

_terror_
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Smart Home, or smart launcher.. don't really remember haha. It's very clean and fast. clean home screen without any icons, then just swipe to the right from the left side of the screen to bring up the menu. Supports both landscape and portrait. I love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-20 19.04.16.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1746461   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-20 19.04.04.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1746462  

The Following User Says Thank You to _terror_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]