5,598,610 Members 44,056 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Bluetooth breaks voice to text recongnition

Tip us?

mwoods269
Old
(Last edited by mwoods269; 10th December 2012 at 07:36 PM.) Reason: forgot to mention what device I was using.
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Bluetooth breaks voice to text recongnition

Galaxy Note 2 - Verizon

I noticed I am able to talk to text using the messaging and gtalk app just fine while at home with bluetooth turned on. However once in and paired to my 2012 Toyota Highlander I am no longer able to talk to text in those applications unless I turn bluetooth off. Google Now is unaffected at all.

Anyone else notice this bug?

Thanks.

sleevasteve
Old
Thanks Meter 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoods269 View Post
Galaxy Note 2 - Verizon

I noticed I am able to talk to text using the messaging and gtalk app just fine while at home with bluetooth turned on. However once in and paired to my 2012 Toyota Highlander I am no longer able to talk to text in those applications unless I turn bluetooth off. Google Now is unaffected at all.

Anyone else notice this bug?

Thanks.
This has effected me on Google now also. The only thing that works right is s-voice, but who wants to use that!? I found a workaround, but you are basically still using your phone for the voice recognition, and the Bluetooth strictly for voice calls. If you can work with that and just toggle between the two if you want to use your Bluetooth for other audio, this will work for you.

Just go into your Bluetooth settings for whatever device you have paired, and turn off "media audio". Voice detection will now work fine, but you have to do it through the phone(which kind of defeats the purpose, but hey...it's just a temporary workaround). Hope this helps

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1355170882715.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1552782  

mwoods269
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleevasteve View Post
This has effected me on Google now also. The only thing that works right is s-voice, but who wants to use that!? I found a workaround, but you are basically still using your phone for the voice recognition, and the Bluetooth strictly for voice calls. If you can work with that and just toggle between the two if you want to use your Bluetooth for other audio, this will work for you.

Just go into your Bluetooth settings for whatever device you have paired, and turn off "media audio". Voice detection will now work fine, but you have to do it through the phone(which kind of defeats the purpose, but hey...it's just a temporary workaround). Hope this helps

Thanks for the tip. I guess I could do that for now but that would mean no bluetooth music streaming.....grrrrrr

sleevasteve
Old
Thanks Meter 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoods269 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I guess I could do that for now but that would mean no bluetooth music streaming.....grrrrrr
I hear you there, I'm not constantly jumping back and forth between the two, so for now it works, just gotta change it when I want to stream.

Pappy35
Old
(Last edited by Pappy35; 11th December 2012 at 04:42 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Not just the Note II either. My SGS3 does exactly the same thing. Seems like a bug or someone, somewhere thought it was good idea. Siri (on my iPhone 4S)worked while streaming audio and paired to my car and my Nexus 7 works too (even though it doesn't have a 'phone' both options are there and checked and it works).

gloster2
Old
Thanks Meter 13
I just noticed this last night. While my headset was paired, I tried to use speech recognition through Swiftkey Flow Beta and it would not work. Also, when I hit the multi-purpose button on my headset to voice dial, SIRI would come up instead.

SIRI must die. Soon.

mokumegane
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Is there anything new with this issue?

Between this and the other problem with the music player auto starting, my enjoyment of my note 2 while in my car is severely limited.

mwoods269
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Re: Bluetooth breaks voice to text recongnition

No movement but something needs to happen as this is really annoying.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

sleevasteve
Old
Thanks Meter 285
Default Re: Bluetooth breaks voice to text recongnition

I find it works on Swype beta.

Sent from my Inverted Beans ROM @ 240 DPI