Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,126 Members 42,652 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Want To Update to MA7 But Have Questions

Tip us?
 
TADitto
Old
(Last edited by TADitto; 16th February 2013 at 08:50 PM.)
#1  
TADitto's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 95
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PHOENIX, AZ
Question [Q] Want To Update to MA7 But Have Questions

I'm a bit confused here about the best way to upgrade to MA7 with the least amount of possible issues. I have a few questions that will hopefully help me clear up my confusion. I have searched thru some of the MA7 threads but can't find definitive answers. I am currently rooted running WHOMP 2.6 with TWRP recovery. Here's my questions:

Would using [ROM][RESTORE][1-13-13]Back to unrooted stock with auto flash count reset (FINAL LJC) by Billard412 to go back to stock unrooted and taking the OTA for MA7 be the way to go to get MA7 or not taking the OTA and flashing[OTA] MA7 update.zip Download from rwilco12 thru stock recovery? If so once I do that would I still be able to gain root again using [Galaxy Note2 TOOLKIT V3.0.0 SPRINT] Drivers, Backup, Root, CWM, TWRP, Flash to Stock by mskip?

If I decide not to do the above can I just flash the modem zip from [ROM][Kernel][Firmware] Stock-Rooted L900VPAMA7 Odex / DeOdex [Team WHOMP] to upgrade my baseband or do I need to also flash the kernel as well? Once I do this what will be the affects of then flashing a ROM based on LJC or LK8 be or is it even possible?

Once I do any of the above if I have any issues and assuming I can get root back if I flash a nandroid back-up of whomp 2.6 will it revert everything back to LJC if I have the modems and efs as well as the usual nandroid back-up settings backed-up thru TWRP? Or would I be stuck on MA7?

Please help me to understand.
 
bleaktrotter
Old
(Last edited by bleaktrotter; 16th February 2013 at 08:50 PM.)
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 70
Join Date: Jul 2010
Default Re: [Q] Want To Update to MA7 But Have Questions

I'm not sure what part you're worried about. I flashed MA7 and everything was fine. I have root, I can flash any ROMs, and I didn't have to do anything special.
To upgrade, use a .zip which only updates you to MA7 and does not mess with your ROM or anything else.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2124217
I used this and it worked flawlessly for going lk8->ma7 despite the file name.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to bleaktrotter For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
TADitto
Old
(Last edited by TADitto; 16th February 2013 at 08:59 PM.)
#3  
TADitto's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 95
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PHOENIX, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleaktrotter View Post
I'm not sure what part you're worried about. I flashed MA7 and everything was fine. I have root, I can flash any ROMs, and I didn't have to do anything special.
To upgrade, use a .zip which only updates you to MA7 and does not mess with your ROM or anything else.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2124217
I used this and it worked flawlessly for going lk8->ma7 despite the file name.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app
So you just upgraded your modems/baseband but not the firmware?
 
KEYofR
Old
#4  
KEYofR's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 215
Posts: 570
Join Date: Jun 2010
Default Re: [Q] Want To Update to MA7 But Have Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleaktrotter View Post
I'm not sure what part you're worried about. I flashed MA7 and everything was fine. I have root, I can flash any ROMs, and I didn't have to do anything special.
To upgrade, use a .zip which only updates you to MA7 and does not mess with your ROM or anything else.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2124217
I used this and it worked flawlessly for going lk8->ma7 despite the file name.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app
1) That's ma5 not ma7.

2) There is no such thing as upgrading to ma7 or anything else without "mess with your rom". That's a nonsensical statement. Upgrading means flashing a rom which means completely obliterating it with a new replacement.

There is no equivalent all-in-one for ma7 yet like we have for ma5 and lower.

To get everything ma7, as of this moment, you need to go to stock lj1 or ljc and then flash the ma7 update.zip or take the ota. The missing parts that we don't have outside of ota yet seem to be just a tz file which may be for lte, it's not certain yet. And a new bootloader which may not matter much.

So without going back to stock you can flash rom, kernel, and modem, and it'll probably mostly be ok except maybe lte problems.

Or you can go back to full stock and take the ota or manually flash the update.zip which is the same thing. Then re-root the normal way like with cfroot. Then you'll be fully ma7 for all parts.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to KEYofR For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Skripka
Old
(Last edited by Skripka; 16th February 2013 at 09:42 PM.)
#5  
Skripka's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 625
Posts: 1,408
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: On the top Loading Rail
Default Re: [Q] Want To Update to MA7 But Have Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYofR View Post
1) That's ma5 not ma7.

2) There is no such thing as upgrading to ma7 or anything else without "mess with your rom". That's a nonsensical statement. Upgrading means flashing a rom which means completely obliterating it with a new replacement.

There is no equivalent all-in-one for ma7 yet like we have for ma5 and lower.

To get everything ma7, as of this moment, you need to go to stock lj1 or ljc and then flash the ma7 update.zip or take the ota. The missing parts that we don't have outside of ota yet seem to be just a tz file which may be for lte, it's not certain yet. And a new bootloader which may not matter much.

So without going back to stock you can flash rom, kernel, and modem, and it'll probably mostly be ok except maybe lte problems.

Or you can go back to full stock and take the ota or manually flash the update.zip which is the same thing. Then re-root the normal way like with cfroot. Then you'll be fully ma7 for all parts.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium
Uh huh.


http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=38002057

[ROM][Kernel][Firmware] Stock-Rooted L900VPAMA7 Odex / DeOdex [Team WHOMP]

Flash via twrp, and bAM you're on ma7

Whether you break anything doing so is ofc a whole other horse.

This install was LJC, and the I flashed the ma7 modem.


Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
 
TADitto
Old
#6  
TADitto's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 95
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PHOENIX, AZ
Default Re: [Q] Want To Update to MA7 But Have Questions

If I flash MA7 modem and then I nandroid from a previous nandroid that is LJC modems will I revert back to LJC or stay MA7?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app
 
lovekeiiy
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 158
Posts: 860
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
you shouldn't need to revert back to LJC and risk I root.

I went from MA5 to MA7 with no issues. Make a Nandriod backup before you do anything. Test your Nandroid to make sure it actually restores; doesn't do you any good if you can't restore from it.

Then use the files in the thread listed in the OP for MA7. Makes sure to wipe Divack, cache, and system. I flashed firmware, then modem, then rom, and last firmware. Sometimes firmware doesn't always stick, so it's just a precaution. Between flashes, wipe divack and cache. I'm old school from the Evo 4G, so it do it three times.

Other than that, if you're concerned, you can try using Voodoo Rootkeeper. Although it didn't do anything when I tried it. But I didn't lose root either. I also used the deoxidezed rom version so I can use the mutliwindow and 4-2 reboot mods.

You may want to use Titanium Backup to back up your apps and settings. There are nice batch operations. This can save a lot time. Plus, it's a good way to save your game progesses such as Angry Birds and be able to return where you were.
The Following User Says Thank You to lovekeiiy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
TMPOOLE
Old
#8  
Member
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 53
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Frostbite Falls, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by TADitto View Post
I'm a bit confused here about the best way to upgrade to MA7 with the least amount of possible issues. I have a few questions that will hopefully help me clear up my confusion. I have searched thru some of the MA7 threads but can't find definitive answers. I am currently rooted running WHOMP 2.6 with TWRP recovery. Here's my questions:

Would using [ROM][RESTORE][1-13-13]Back to unrooted stock with auto flash count reset (FINAL LJC) by Billard412 to go back to stock unrooted and taking the OTA for MA7 be the way to go to get MA7 or not taking the OTA and flashing[OTA] MA7 update.zip Download from rwilco12 thru stock recovery? If so once I do that would I still be able to gain root again using [Galaxy Note2 TOOLKIT V3.0.0 SPRINT] Drivers, Backup, Root, CWM, TWRP, Flash to Stock by mskip?

If I decide not to do the above can I just flash the modem zip from [ROM][Kernel][Firmware] Stock-Rooted L900VPAMA7 Odex / DeOdex [Team WHOMP] to upgrade my baseband or do I need to also flash the kernel as well? Once I do this what will be the affects of then flashing a ROM based on LJC or LK8 be or is it even possible?

Once I do any of the above if I have any issues and assuming I can get root back if I flash a nandroid back-up of whomp 2.6 will it revert everything back to LJC if I have the modems and efs as well as the usual nandroid back-up settings backed-up thru TWRP? Or would I be stuck on MA7?

Please help me to understand.
The Whomp Rom is in process of being updated to MA7. Why not wait for a few days and just reflash when they release the new update? That's what I intend to do. They'll explain the best way to update with the new release. Your just confusing yourself. Be patient or make a backup and experiment away. Not like you can't restore your backup.
The Following User Says Thank You to TMPOOLE For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
mitchellvii
Old
#9  
mitchellvii's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1088
Posts: 4,923
Join Date: Jul 2010
So what does MA7 do that is so great it's worth dealing with the inevitable bugs?

---------- Post added at 05:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMPOOLE View Post
The Whomp Rom is in process of being updated to MA7. Why not wait for a few days and just reflash when they release the new update? That's what I intend to do. They'll explain the best way to update with the new release. Your just confusing yourself. Be patient or make a backup and experiment away. Not like you can't restore your backup.
Yeah I usually just wait for a reliable development team to hash through the newest leak and put it in their rom before I mess with it. If you have ever bricked a phone by jumping the gun like I have you feel me on that.
The Following User Says Thank You to mitchellvii For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
TADitto
Old
#10  
TADitto's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 95
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PHOENIX, AZ
Thanks all for your input, with things like this I tend to become a nervous nelly. I went ahead and did the upgrade with no issues what so ever. I used Billards412 unroot to LJC stock unrooted, worked perfectly. I then booted into stock recovery and flashed rwilco12 MA7 update zip, which worked flawlessly. After that I used mskips toolkit 3.0 to root using option 42 and LJC tar, root aquired and now I'm back in business accept now everything is updated to MA7. Gosh I'm such a idiot, in my head I was trying to make this more difficult than it was. Again thanks you everyone for all your help.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes