Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,128 Members 41,430 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

update with a rooted dna

Tip us?

rootntootn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default update with a rooted dna

Curious, as I have seen conflicting points-Can the update from verizon be installed to a rooted phone or not? How about from the stock Verizon rom (de-bloated) on a rooted phone, or relocking the phone/back to stock and getting it? I thought I read that if you get the update on a stock DNA you can no longer unlock it with the present methods, is that true or false? Anyone know for sure? Lastly what does the update get you?
The Following User Says Thank You to rootntootn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bigandrewgold
Old
Thanks Meter 531
Default Re: update with a rooted dna

You need to have stock Rom and recovery to update.

And if you update a DNA that has never been unlocked before then you won't be able to unlock your DNA. But if you've unlocked before then your fine.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigandrewgold For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

.torrented
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,474

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootntootn View Post
Curious, as I have seen conflicting points-Can the update from verizon be installed to a rooted phone or not? How about from the stock Verizon rom (de-bloated) on a rooted phone, or relocking the phone/back to stock and getting it? I thought I read that if you get the update on a stock DNA you can no longer unlock it with the present methods, is that true or false? Anyone know for sure? Lastly what does the update get you?
As long as you have unlocked your bootloader before the ota visit this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2152993 and it will tell you how to re-unlock and update the firmware and unlock, but make sure you have your original Unlock_code.bin file before you proceed because if you take the ota and you havent unlocked your bootloader before you will be stuck for a long time

cstmeyers
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by .torrented View Post
As long as you have unlocked your bootloader before the ota visit this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2152993 and it will tell you how to re-unlock and update the firmware and unlock, but make sure you have your original Unlock_code.bin file before you proceed because if you take the ota and you havent unlocked your bootloader before you will be stuck for a long time
Of all the times I don't spend hours researching, this is one of them where I screwed myself. I had my bootloader unlocked before the OTA and I am going to be "stuck for a long time". LOL I read several articles (not here - my own idiocy) on the OTA update and the "how tos" on going back to stock to get it, etc etc... Not one mentioned to reunlock after performing the RUU, then doing the OTA..... didn't find out I was screwed until the CID couldn't be read and the my Unlock_bin failed. So this is what it feels like again to be on a bloated phone, full of VZW crap..lol

.torrented
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,474

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: update with a rooted dna

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmeyers View Post
Of all the times I don't spend hours researching, this is one of them where I screwed myself. I had my bootloader unlocked before the OTA and I am going to be "stuck for a long time". LOL I read several articles (not here - my own idiocy) on the OTA update and the "how tos" on going back to stock to get it, etc etc... Not one mentioned to reunlock after performing the RUU, then doing the OTA..... didn't find out I was screwed until the CID couldn't be read and the my Unlock_bin failed. So this is what it feels like again to be on a bloated phone, full of VZW crap..lol
You should still be able to flash your token and re unlock your bootloader even after the OTA

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium HD app

cstmeyers
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by .torrented View Post
You should still be able to flash your token and re unlock your bootloader even after the OTA

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium HD app
I tried a couple of times but it kept failing. I'm not sure if I am missing a step but I think I was doing it correctly. I will try it again when I get home from work.