Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,684 Members 48,843 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Battery life is suddenly garbage

Tip us?

berfles
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Default Battery life is suddenly garbage

I don't know what happened, but lately my battery has been about 20% less every day I come home from work. Right now it was down to 9% after only being on for 1d3h, I'm used to getting over 2 days easy on a single charge. I don't think I installed anything recently, and this is running CROMI 3.2.2 with I think the Clemsyn 1.3-1.8GHZ kernel. Any ideas to figure out what's causing the drain?

buhohitr
Old
Thanks Meter 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by berfles View Post
I don't know what happened, but lately my battery has been about 20% less every day I come home from work. Right now it was down to 9% after only being on for 1d3h, I'm used to getting over 2 days easy on a single charge. I don't think I installed anything recently, and this is running CROMI 3.2.2 with I think the Clemsyn 1.3-1.8GHZ kernel. Any ideas to figure out what's causing the drain?
You need to install "betterbatterystats" to find out what's the issue. Any changes in the way you sync email, messages? any app with location service turn on by default?? well, best bet is use the app and find out.

berfles
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
I'll check it out. I didn't change any syncing, the only change I've made is I started using GoogleNow a little more, but I don't think it would make this much of a drastic difference.

MartyHulskemper
Old
Thanks Meter 365
Probably a rogue app, as buhohitr said. Reboot two times, install BBS, reboot again, and sniff it out. The reboot number doesn't matter that much, but I strongly advise to reboot in between to see if that solves the problem altogether. If not, BBS has your back.
"Professionals are predictable, but the world is full of amateurs."
-- Murphy's Military Laws, as referenced on http://www.military-info.com/freebies/murphy.htm

"The skill of accurate perception is called cynicism by those who don't possess it."
-- Alan Millar

Thats OK
Old
Thanks Meter 277
Noticed last night that installing multiple launchers with 3.3 CROMi is eating more battery.
For instance GO is running while APEX is active.
Each on average are stealing about 3.3%

I do like the switchable launcher feature in 3.3 a lot however.

alexnoalex
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Default Re: Battery life is suddenly garbage

Never mind. I just noticed that you run custom rom.

I had that problem before I upgraded to 10.4.4.25. The standby battery life was a total nonsense. It would drain in less than 2 days without me even touching the tablet.
Now with 10.4.4.25 I am on 8 and half days and still have 33%. Although they seem to screw up battery stats app in settings.

berfles
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Well, I installed the battery app, and looks like it was draining at about 1% per hour today while it was sitting idle. Not sure if that's good or not, I had it sitting in balanced mode all day. I do know that I started reading on it when it was at 54%, after about 30 minutes I stopped reading and it was at 50%. I went to bed, went to work, and when I came home it was at about 35%. That just seems like a lot to me.

winslomb
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Not sure if related since your on custom rom, but randomly my battery lasted up to about a day and a half with no use. Batterystatsplus said cell standby and maps was taking all of the power. Cell standby makes no sense and gps was turned off as well. I ended up resetting tab from the recovery menu because these rogue aps made zero sense. Back to 8 days of use.

ShadowLea
Old
Thanks Meter 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by winslomb View Post
Not sure if related since your on custom rom, but randomly my battery lasted up to about a day and a half with no use. Batterystatsplus said cell standby and maps was taking all of the power. Cell standby makes no sense and gps was turned off as well. I ended up resetting tab from the recovery menu because these rogue aps made zero sense. Back to 8 days of use.
Yep, Google Maps does that. To pretty much everyone.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
SM-N9005 International Galaxy Note 3, DBT NB7 Stock
SM-G900F International Galaxy S5, PHN NCE Stock
SM-P905 NotePro 12.2 LTE Black, DBT NC3 Stock

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. –Chinese Proverb

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

The simplest solutions are often the cleverest. They are also usually wrong.

Gudders
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I had this problem but with stock 4.2. I narrowed it down to two widgets I had placed on my home screen. BBC news and Appy Geek. I don't know which was was the culprit. Removing them solved my issue completely.