Mozilla Ditches Google, Makes Yahoo Default Search Engine

Mozilla and Google have had a long-standing relationship of about 10 years. Google … more

Learn More About Linux with Linux Man Pages

Linux is quite a powerful and very configurable operating system. Thanks to some user-friendly … more

Detect, Avoid IMSI-Catcher Attacks with Android IMSI-Catcher Detector

Privacy is always an important topic, as well as a delicate one to … more

Materialized LeanDroid Fights Your Poor Battery Life

Battery life has always been one of the biggest problems facing most Android devices. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

OfficeSuite Pro 7 - Two Thumbs Up!

OP billykxda

17th February 2013, 09:51 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 169

670 posts
I keep a personal journal and really value using my N7 for quick entries. I do have other word processing tasks, but my journal is the high-frequency doc for me. Since the journal is now approaching 50 pages - it covers many years - I don't keep it in a "notes" app like Catch or Evernote. I like using Word for docs like this.

So, when I got my N7 I looked around for a good "Office" type app. Kingsoft Office rose to the top real quick since it's free. OfficeSuite is highly-regarded, but it costs $14.99, and I decided not to spend the money.

I've been using Kingsoft for two months now and man, does it suck. I realize that there are plenty of good reviews for that app, but those users may not be using it as frequently as me, or maybe they are working with 1-pagers. Otherwise, anyone really using Kingsoft has to run into the same crappy unstable and unpredictable behavior that I've been living with - it's so pervasive in this app. One frustrating example is the backspace function. It might do nothing, it might delete a letter, or a word or a sentence or a bunch of sentences. Then, when you begin to type the words back in that it deleted, the app will begin to toss in some parts of the words it deleted. The app doesn't reliably call the keyboard when you tap in the doc. There's more to dislike, but I'll just stop there. The Devs are totally non-responsive, BTW.

In a fit of Kingsoft rage the other day, I bought OfficeSuite Pro 7 and I wish I had done this earlier. It's not that OfficeSuite is just better, it's in an entirely different league. It's beautifully designed, the UI is perfectly human-factored. It's fast, offers every function I can think of, and best of all, it's freak'in stable - like 100% stable. Integration with cloud storage is fast and reliable.

If Kingsoft is your favorite Office app and it works perfectly for you, then life is great - for you. For me, IMO Kingsoft is not ready for prime time.

If you've been on the fence regarding shelling out the $14.99 price for OfficeSuite, I can tell you it's worth it. It really is an awesome app.
Last edited by billykxda; 17th February 2013 at 09:58 PM.
17th February 2013, 10:32 PM   |  #2  
Flag Bonn
Thanks Meter: 133

528 posts
AW: OfficeSuite Pro 7 - Two Thumbs Up!
Amen. I can second that.
17th February 2013, 11:32 PM   |  #3  
Flag Columbus
Thanks Meter: 201

964 posts
More
Re: OfficeSuite Pro 7 - Two Thumbs Up!
So glad I bought this back when it was on sell

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app
17th February 2013, 11:43 PM   |  #4  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 1,039

5,489 posts
Donate to Me
More
I always liked this link....... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1085173 was helpful to compare the different apps
18th February 2013, 12:41 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

670 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaZart

So glad I bought this back when it was on sell

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

Yea, yea, yea...
I almost pulled the trigger on it back then too.
That made it harder to pay full price for it. But I am still glad I did.

Interestingly enough, I seem to recall that people who got the app on sale had to pay full price to get the update to the current version 7.x. Also, the sale app didn't include all the fonts you get with the full price version. I recall that some folks were quite unhappy about that. Could be mistaken about this though...
Last edited by billykxda; 18th February 2013 at 12:55 AM.
18th February 2013, 12:41 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

670 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey

I always liked this link....... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1085173 was helpful to compare the different apps

Cool. I'll check it out.
18th February 2013, 05:58 AM   |  #7  
Flag Sacramento
Thanks Meter: 198

778 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by billykxda

Yea, yea, yea...
I almost pulled the trigger on it back then too.
That made it harder to pay full price for it. But I am still glad I did.

Interestingly enough, I seem to recall that people who got the app on sale had to pay full price to get the update to the current version 7.x. Also, the sale app didn't include all the fonts you get with the full price version. I recall that some folks were quite unhappy about that. Could be mistaken about this though...

You are mistaken,I got it on sale and got 7 at no cost

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
18th February 2013, 11:34 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 14

39 posts
thats a really nice hint. i use kingsofts app everyday now and not a long ago i searched for the best office app and i got this app as "the best available". its freakin me out. seems so primitive, its just not enough for daily use.

i'll check this app by myself. hope its good enough for me too. thanks!

Enviado do meu Nexus 7
18th February 2013, 05:12 PM   |  #9  
Flag Sacramento
Thanks Meter: 198

778 posts
More
I'm loving the new office suite 7 yup please too, the UK improvements are perfect.

A quick FYI, smart office 2 is on sale for 99 cents right now, for that price I couldn't help picking it up too. Got office suite when it was on sale also, lucky me.

18th February 2013, 05:29 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

670 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dems86

You are mistaken,I got it on sale and got 7 at no cost

Not only was I mistaken about that, but when you pay full price, it appears that you still have to pay extra for fonts and dictionaries. Oh well.

If there are free dictionaries available, someone give me a heads-up on that.

Still, really happy to have this app and I am using it every day.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread