XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

GPS issues

Tip us?

droidxxxxx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 69
Default Re: GPS issues

Guess I'm gonna have to go back to 4.1..sucks because the liquid 4.2.2 runs really nice w awesome battery.. I just need my GPS to work solid..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
---Acer A-100 / Rooted / Unlocked / Sporting Green ICS by lgcmn & ZeroNull with the MicroSD 2 Internal Memory Swap---
---Acer A-500 Stock as she can be.....with a self replaced new Mother Board---
---Samsung Galaxy SIII SCH-I535 Rooted/Unlocked on Wicked Sensations v.5.0---

sweeds
Old
Thanks Meter 68
I read on XDA, someone talked to a Verizon rep and said it's a VZW bug, not ROM/phone related. This worked for me, here's the fix:
  1. Clear Data on Maps
  2. Clear Data on Google Services Framework
  3. Go to Location Services and turn OFF Verizon Location Services (leave other 2 ON)
  4. Reboot Phone
  5. You should now have GPS lock (hopefully)

droidxxxxx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeds View Post
I read on XDA, someone talked to a Verizon rep and said it's a VZW bug, not ROM/phone related. This worked for me, here's the fix:
  1. Clear Data on Maps
  2. Clear Data on Google Services Framework
  3. Go to Location Services and turn OFF Verizon Location Services (leave other 2 ON)
  4. Reboot Phone
  5. You should now have GPS lock (hopefully)
well, i wish i woulda seen this sooner.. lol.. i tried to odin back to root66 with odin mobile, now im all messed up.. im trying to flash with oden through pc now.. keeps failing though.. i can get into stock recovery and downloader mode though, so maybe all is not lost..

sweeds
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidxxxxx View Post
well, i wish i woulda seen this sooner.. lol.. i tried to odin back to root66 with odin mobile, now im all messed up.. im trying to flash with oden through pc now.. keeps failing though.. i can get into stock recovery and downloader mode though, so maybe all is not lost..
If you can get into download mode, you're still OK - you just need to odin via PC. Check the MD5 and filesize of your root66.tar, if it's failing it's most likely a corrupt download. If they match and it still fails, what is the error message that comes up? Once you flash the stock img, get superuser and a custom recovery, and from there I hope you made a nandroid or can clean flash a new ROM. Hope this all helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to sweeds For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

droidxxxxx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeds View Post
If you can get into download mode, you're still OK - you just need to odin via PC. Check the MD5 and filesize of your root66.tar, if it's failing it's most likely a corrupt download. If they match and it still fails, what is the error message that comes up? Once you flash the stock img, get superuser and a custom recovery, and from there I hope you made a nandroid or can clean flash a new ROM. Hope this all helps.
I'm all back up and running.. I was able to Odin back to root66 finally..then from there unlocked bootloader..reflashed liquid 4.2.2..seems my GPS issues might be fixed..thanks for your concern.

---Acer A-100 / Rooted / Unlocked / Sporting Green ICS by lgcmn & ZeroNull with the MicroSD 2 Internal Memory Swap---

sweeds
Old
Thanks Meter 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidxxxxx View Post
I'm all back up and running.. I was able to Odin back to root66 finally..then from there unlocked bootloader..reflashed liquid 4.2.2..seems my GPS issues might be fixed..thanks for your concern.

Yeah, I've heard just Odin back to stock and then a clean flash can do the trick. I still recommend getting the app called GPS Status and downloading the aGPS Fix. Good luck!

Sent via SGS3 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to sweeds For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

droidxxxxx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 69

Of course I spoke too soon when I look at the 3 choices under location settings it's missing the Verizon setting it actually only has 2 settings plus 1 location setting toggle at the top which activates the 2 at the bottom it's a different layout.. It's gone back to only working what I toggle it on and off again..

sweeds
Old
Thanks Meter 68

Hmmmm that sounds like the ROM had changed the menu layout. The problem could be a ROM related issue. Have you checked if its been reported in its specific thread?

Also, go to Google Now (or Google Search), hit menu and go to settings. Check that Google's location services are on.

Lastly, I've heard about and seen better GPS with Wifi turned on, even if you're not connected. Try that too.

Sent via SGS3 using Tapatalk

blomgren
Old
Thanks Meter 6
What worked for me 100% is the app called GPS Status & Toolbox. Worked flawless. I have zero issues and locks solid in less than 20 seconds. That is the longest, usually 5 seconds is normal for me. Program runs when outage GPS enabled and running google maps.

droidxxxxx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 69

I have tried them..just doesnt work unless i toggle gps on/off..lol..but its strange I can go back to 4.1 and gps works fine... All 4.2 ROMs give me the same issue..the GPS works fine..just doesnt start up on its own when I start maps or something.. I have go toggle GPS..then it works..that goes for any GPS app..just like the one u are talking about..it sounds like your GPS was indeed coming on at least..just weak..my icon doesn't start unless I toggle it after starting GPS app of choice..