15th February 2013, 04:22 AM   |  #111  
Flag Centennial, CO
Thanks Meter: 41

383 posts
More
Re: The Only Car Charger You Need for the Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj555

Bought the charger mentioned in the first page.

I am getting ground issues and lots of electrical noise when using it.
I have a aux cable plugged in to my headunit aswell.

Is there a way to stop the noise?

Thanks

It sounds like standard alternator hum (ground loop issue).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
15th February 2013, 01:27 PM   |  #112  
Thanks Meter: 28

110 posts
Exactly what I was looking for.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
16th February 2013, 12:20 AM   |  #113  
Thanks Meter: 150

2,192 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malevolence

buy one get one free

http://www.amazon.com/high-speed-cha.../dp/B009HD44US

Bought this and it did not charge. I tried it with either port and when my N7 is running (navigation, etc.), the battery actually goes down.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

So can anyone CONFIRM that the charger posted by OP works for the N7 in the following condition:

1). 100% brightness
2). Wifi ON and connected to my cellphone
3). Google GPS running

I use my N7 for navigation (big screen!) but all the chargers I have tried so far (New Trent 3.1A, Motorola, etc.) does NOT charge the N7 when it's ON.
16th February 2013, 03:04 AM   |  #114  
Thanks Meter: 334

1,439 posts
I don't tether to my phone. I use CoPilot GPS vs Google Maps. Screen brightness is 100%. The charger keeps my Nexus fully charged.

Edit: This is with the charger from the OP. The cable used seems to make a difference. From what I understand, that's because starting with 4.2.x the Nexus attempts to decide whether the connection is for charging or data and now can fast charge even from a charger using the Apple power standard instead of the USB standard. Unfortunately this means that the Nexus can get fooled into using the USB charging rate and the cable used makes a big difference if this happens.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2
Last edited by bsoplinger; 16th February 2013 at 02:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bsoplinger For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th February 2013, 03:31 AM   |  #115  
Thanks Meter: 150

2,192 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoplinger

I don't tether to my phone. I use CoPilot GPS vs Google Maps. Screen brightness is 100%. The charger keeps my Nexus fully charged.

This is using the charger shown by OP, right?

Btw, does anyone know if the the multi car adapter have any bearing on my issue? I only have ONE cigarette adapter but i need 2 (1 N7 and 1 for Bluetooth) so i both a splitter.
16th February 2013, 02:23 PM   |  #116  
Thanks Meter: 334

1,439 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior

This is using the charger shown by OP, right?

Btw, does anyone know if the the multi car adapter have any bearing on my issue?

Yes, see my edited post. A splitter won't make a difference unless the total draw, the current needed, from the pair of devices exceeds what your car can provide and I'd guess the pair wouldn't draw over 5A which the car should be able to provide.

16th February 2013, 11:19 PM   |  #117  
Thanks Meter: 4

25 posts
I just received a cable from KOPI. I can't post a link because I am a new member. Just Google it
It has 20 awg for the charging pair.
With the standard N7 charger it went from 60 percent to fully charged in a little over an hour with every thing turned on. plus a gps speedometer app running.
Amazing what a good cable will do.

Update

Did another test this morning.With a cheapo 2.1 amp car charger and the new cable it went from 78 percent to full in a little over half an hour with the same scenario as above.With the same charger and a standard usb cable it would slowly discharge.
I think no matter what charger you have, you will not get the maximum charge rate unless you have a decent cable.
Just my opinion.
Last edited by Old Guy; 17th February 2013 at 05:24 PM.
17th February 2013, 03:13 PM   |  #118  
Thanks Meter: 34

102 posts
Has anyone dismantled one of these chargers that works in order to connect directly to the wiring behind the cigarette lighter? The reason I ask is I plan to install my Nexus 7 in my car dash, I don't want to have wires running up the console and then into it. I am hoping to solder the wires to the back of the lighter port, and then just run the charger cable up behind the center console to the Nexus.

I assume it should be fairly simple, as most of these are all the same on the inside. Just wanted to know if someone had done this?

Thanks
17th February 2013, 03:37 PM   |  #119  
Portland, Or
Thanks Meter: 182

467 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by naiku

Has anyone dismantled one of these chargers that works in order to connect directly to the wiring behind the cigarette lighter? The reason I ask is I plan to install my Nexus 7 in my car dash, I don't want to have wires running up the console and then into it. I am hoping to solder the wires to the back of the lighter port, and then just run the charger cable up behind the center console to the Nexus.

I assume it should be fairly simple, as most of these are all the same on the inside. Just wanted to know if someone had done this?

Thanks

It's usually easier to just add another power socket behind the dash.
17th February 2013, 10:09 PM   |  #120  
Thanks Meter: 34

102 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025

It's usually easier to just add another power socket behind the dash.

Good point, I have plenty of room back there and can likely just unplug the existing one (I never use it anyway) and move it back there.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread