Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Hands On – XDA TV

Perhaps one of the more peculiar announcements this year was the curved edge-screened … more

Nova Launcher Update Brings Lollipop Functionality and Feel

One of the most popular third party launcher on Android, Nova Launcher, has just … more

Check Your I/O Usage with Iotop for Android

Ever needed to check the I/O usage of apps? If so, you probably tried searching for an iotop … more

T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Slow charging? get a better cable(with proof)

OP darkinners

17th February 2013, 08:18 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 79

323 posts
More
Yesterday I just bought a new 8000mah power bank(ProMini 8000), which has 2.1A output but I still not very satisfy with the charge speed compare to the stock Note 2 lte charger.

So I did some experiments, found out charge speed have A LOT to do with the quality of cables! Going to share the result with you guys.

here are the tests
1. First is "Note 2 LTE stock charger + Note 2 LTE stock USB cable"

1.8A, not bad!

2. "The new power bank(ProMini 8000) + The USB cable came with the package"

1A...meh

3. "ProMini 8000 + Note 2 LTE stock usb cable"

WOAH!! 1.5A, lower than the stock charger but really not that bad!

4. "Note 2 LTE stock charger +My old Galaxy Note 1 stock USB cable"

1A, So what material is the Note 2 USB cable made of? Uranium? Even Note 1 stock USB cable can't compete

5. "Note 2 LTE stock charger + some home depot generic micro-USB to USB cable"

0.6A Well, you get what you pay for..

Honestly, I didn't expect USB cable quality make this much of a difference.
I guess the Note 2 USB cable used some higher gauge wires?

Anyway I am going out to get some more Note 2 stock cable tomorrow, for the power bank and maybe other computers.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to darkinners For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th February 2013, 09:10 PM   |  #2  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 28

407 posts
what app are you using to test the charging current?
17th February 2013, 09:36 PM   |  #3  
Flag 192.168.0.1
Thanks Meter: 117

646 posts
More
Re: Slow charging? get a better cable(with proof)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBountyHunter

what app are you using to test the charging current?

This probably

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hargingcurrent

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
17th February 2013, 11:01 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 30

143 posts
Re: Slow charging? get a better cable(with proof)
This app. Lies, I got an poor cable clone for Samsung 10.1 tab, and this app tells my note is charging at 1600mah, while it actually was charging at low power usb mode (measured using an multimeter).

Back on my original note 2 cable the app still show 1600 mah and my note was changing at full 1950mah measured on my multimeter.

Was easy to me coz I have an Short usb extension which I peel ti access the positive wire ( I cut it and connected my multimeter to both segment . in series scheme).

So it easy and accurate way to check if some cable actually charges at full current.

The app offered actually don't work accurately (if it's real purpose is it)

Sent From my Un-Rooted GT-N7100

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Final proof was my note 2 stop charging with fake cable and only drains about 300 mah and of course never charges, while this app still shows 1650-1680. The note actually don't charges.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Good emergency replacement Cable are the ones for HTC Sony and those charging cables that comes with power banks and which uses multiple interchangeable tips to match different connectors, my note 2 think it's an true usb Samsung cable.

26th March 2013, 01:40 PM   |  #5  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 93

634 posts
More
I just bought a Note 2 recently, T889 (T-mobile). I noticed it charges alright when plugged into my comp with the stock cable.

Now I use the stock AC adapter near my bed, but I attached a extended USB cable (10-15ft) and connected a USB to MicroUSB after that. I noticed charging my Note 2 that after 8 hours, it only charged from 60%-97%. Ridiculous. If I turn the screen on while plugged into that setup and not do anything heavy tasking to the phone, my battery would drain down even while charging.
20th May 2013, 01:19 AM   |  #6  
Flag Sélestat
Thanks Meter: 20

131 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria807

I just bought a Note 2 recently, T889 (T-mobile). I noticed it charges alright when plugged into my comp with the stock cable.

Now I use the stock AC adapter near my bed, but I attached a extended USB cable (10-15ft) and connected a USB to MicroUSB after that. I noticed charging my Note 2 that after 8 hours, it only charged from 60%-97%. Ridiculous. If I turn the screen on while plugged into that setup and not do anything heavy tasking to the phone, my battery would drain down even while charging.

I'd guess this is normal. Basic facts : ÜSB is a 5V-powered bus, and a 1.1 port pumps out 500mA (to all the devices connected to a same root hub on the motherboard), and the USB3 norm raised this current to 900mA, not even half of what your wallcharger provides.
I seem to recall the USB2 spec. sheet only guarantees a 500mbits/s data throughput if the cable is 1.5m or smaller in lenghth, because of inline losses. and since a datastream is nothing more than waves of current pumped into a wire, the same applies to the current a USB lead provides : the longer the cable, the more current will be lost along the way, until there's nothing left to provide.. Low-voltage current is absolutely not transportable over long distances, that's the reason why we have hi-voltage lines all across our landscapes, and the reason why you see hi-to-lo-voltage converters at every streetcorner in the US and not in europe : european 240V current can be transported (once 'downvolted' from 20kV,5kV or 380V) over up to 100m without inline losses becoming too high, US 110V current barely over 20-25m... So a 5V-powered cable, well you do the math m8
20th May 2013, 06:25 AM   |  #7  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 93

634 posts
More
It has nothing to do with the cable. It was a rom issue. I changed roms and have not had the same issue.

I went from same charge setup (while able to drain while plugged in and phone in use), switched roms and all of a sudden it is able to charge up even while in use.
20th May 2013, 10:39 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 95

374 posts
Not trying to be a spoilsport, but this has already been extensively discussed here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2112811. So there isnt much use for this thread.
As for the OP, the cost/quality of the wire doesnt matter. What matters is that the wire should offer less resistance to the current, or in other words should be as short and thick as possible. Check page 6 of the link above. I brought a $5 generic cable and it has been working perfectly for me since...full charge in around 130-150 minutes.
The app simply copies information stored in sys/class/power_supply/battery/current_avg, and if the app is wrong then that means that your system is giving you wrong information.

Sent from my GT-N7100 or the Nexus 10, heaven knows.

Those who help noobs go to heaven. True story.
The Following User Says Thank You to SacGuru For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th May 2013, 04:49 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 10

112 posts
please link to ebay for good quality cable

cheaper the better.

and is it safe to use some chinese noname cables?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread