Clamshell Keyboard

OP vishious89

17th February 2013, 11:41 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 3

66 posts
More
For the life of me, I cannot figure out why Google and Samsung seemingly refuse to develop a competent and attractive keyboard solution. Especially with the Microsoft Surface Touch and Type covers selling so well with the actual Surface. The Nexus 10 has such an ideal connector in the pogo pins, and creating a keyboard dock with a hinge could not possibly involve heavy R&D costs. The market is clearly there. I would love to see a third party maker, like the creators of the ClamCase for the iPad, come up with a solution. The new ClamCase Pro is absolutely beautiful and greatly increases the productivity potential of the iPad. I'd buy one for the Nexus 10 in a heartbeat. I suppose I should not be surprised as we have yet to see an official pogo charger, although the one I bought works rather well, from either Samsung or Google. Both are doing a horrendous job of supporting a flagship tablet.

That was the rant portion of this post, my apologies.

I'm very curious to see what the best solutions everyone has come up with. Yes, I have perused all the other threads regarding the topic, and I've found the answers and workarounds less than appealing. So unless Google and Samsung miraculously come to their senses and release an accessory that should have been available 3 months ago, I'm hoping that one of the brilliant minds on here will spark some hope or joy into my search. So if you don't mind, please share your ideas, opinions, and possible solutions that I may be able to try out and attempt to assuage my growing frustration.
The Following User Says Thank You to vishious89 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th March 2013, 01:47 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 79

465 posts
I just hook up a Bluetooth keyboard and put the tablet on a stand.

From a business standpoint, it's a waste of good R&D money to try to develop an integrated keyboard solution for a tablet. Nexus devices always have vestigial ports and plugs, and this is just due to Google's lazy practice of axing a particular feature over cost concerns, and then they just ask the hardware manufacturer to leave the remnants of it in rather than spend more money revising the design.

People that really need keyboards and mice will already have a preferred Bluetooth or OTG USB solution, meanwhile the OS itself doesn't require nor is it designed around those input devices. Personally I find it annoying and slow to use the OS with a mouse and keyboard, and only use the keyboard if I have a table nearby and need to type for extended periods of time. If such an occasion wasn't so rare, I probably would have bought an actual laptop or Chromebook instead.

Microsoft makes a point of marketing the Surface as more of a business device, but the RT still fell flat in that regard (wtf no Active Directory integration?), and the Pro is obscenely expensive for a device that doesn't offer any additional business features that can't be accomplished by a cheaper Windows 8 laptop. Keyboards and mice on tablets are niche features, and most people balked at the fact that a touch cover for the Surface RT costs an extra $100, which was also a pretty terrible keyboard overall. Google wasn't ready to make the same mistake, because historically Samsung charges obscene amounts of money for their accessories as well.

If given the choice between a $30 Motorola Bluetooth keyboard that requires its own batteries, or a $70-$100 Samsung keyboard that hooks into the pogo pins, I'd prefer the $30 option. I use my tablet like a tablet, and use a desktop or laptop when I need to do actual work. Trying to shoehorn my tablet into being a laptop replacement often ends in failure and disappointment, so I just accepted its limitations and moved on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to earlyberd For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th March 2013, 10:48 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 6

31 posts
i've just ordered this keyboard. looks nice.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to devilson-13 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th March 2013, 07:22 PM   |  #4  
Flag Vancouver, BC
Thanks Meter: 3

39 posts
More
Re: Clamshell Keyboard
Please let us know how that keyboard works out. It looks like a good price for one.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app
24th March 2013, 08:00 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 10

22 posts
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilson-13

i've just ordered this keyboard. looks nice.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At last!!! I've been checking this accessories subforum since the Nexus 10's release waiting for one. I wonder if I can sell my logitech keyboard that I never use. Please please let us know how it works. Kind of can't believe it took this long :P
Last edited by libertao; 24th March 2013 at 08:26 PM.
24th March 2013, 09:33 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 6

31 posts
also, you can find it cheaper here:

http://www.amazon.com/VSTN%C2%AE-Alu...board+nexus+10

i discovered this link after i ordered...but in my case it's the same thing due to shipping cost to Europe.

edit: as soon as i receive the keyboard, i would let you know how is working.
Last edited by devilson-13; 24th March 2013 at 09:37 PM.
25th March 2013, 07:05 AM   |  #7  
Flag So Cal
Thanks Meter: 110

971 posts
More
Sweet, can't wait for a review!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
25th March 2013, 11:25 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
Wow please do review this when u get it, this is exactly what I've been looking for for months.
26th March 2013, 06:31 AM   |  #9  
San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 84

372 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanassen

Wow please do review this when u get it, this is exactly what I've been looking for for months.

Interesting. Looks identical to the Minisuit Case I order a couple weeks ago that is still on preorder:

http://www.minisuit.com/p-1723-googl...tand-case.aspx

Maybe it's time to cancel that order and go with Amazon.
28th March 2013, 08:51 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 10

102 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmack

Interesting. Looks identical to the Minisuit Case I order a couple weeks ago that is still on preorder:

http://www.minisuit.com/p-1723-googl...tand-case.aspx

Maybe it's time to cancel that order and go with Amazon.

I don't know if that would make a difference. I ordered mine a couple days ago and Amazon estimates three to six weeks for delivery. I will let you know if I get it sooner.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread