Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,633 Members 37,786 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] ma7 kernal

Tip us?

craign1317
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] ma7 kernal

I just used mobile odin to flash the new ma7 no data and my kernal still says oct 3 for the date. Then I tried to flash the zip from rwilcos site and it still says oct 3 2012. Shouldnt it be jan 29th 2013. What am I doing wrong?

KEYofR
Old
Thanks Meter 215
Default Re: [Q] ma7 kernal

Apparently the posted kernel in the rom/kernel/modem thread isn't right. In the meantime, if you don't want to do the full update.zip, you can install garwynn's ma7 kernel from here:

http://www.sxtpdevelopers.com/showthread.php?t=151

It's actually not exactly the ma7 kernel though. It's the ma7 kernel source, but updated to the latest version of linux, then built and packaged same as ma7. It's good.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

craign1317
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thank you. Downloading now

BlueGoldAce
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Default [Q] ma7 kernal

Any disadvantage to using the kernel you mentioned?

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

Is the above kernel essentially the same as stock?

KEYofR
Old
Thanks Meter 215

I don't know of any disadvantage so far. It's what I'm running.

There could be some problem that no one's noticed yet.

It started out as just the ma7 source from samsung which was based on linux 3.0.31 or so, and he just applied all the incrimental linux patches from there to current 3.0.63 or so. It still has whatever changes samsung had in there. So it should be basically the same in any way we can even detect. The only real difference is he enabled a bunch of different cpu speed governors. You can just ignore that. If you don't use setcpu or similar to pick a different governor then the default one is the same.

BlueGoldAce
Old
Thanks Meter 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYofR View Post
I don't know of any disadvantage so far. It's what I'm running.

There could be some problem that no one's noticed yet.

It started out as just the ma7 source from samsung which was based on linux 3.0.31 or so, and he just applied all the incrimental linux patches from there to current 3.0.63 or so. It still has whatever changes samsung had in there. So it should be basically the same in any way we can even detect. The only real difference is he enabled a bunch of different cpu speed governors. You can just ignore that. If you don't use setcpu or similar to pick a different governor then the default one is the same.

I noticed the default looked to be on demand. I thought the default for samsung was pegasusq.

So what is the default governor? I also noticed the billy available i/o is noon, deadline, and cfq. Which one do you recommend?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

KEYofR
Old
(Last edited by KEYofR; 18th February 2013 at 12:16 AM.)
Thanks Meter 215

You might be right about the samsung stock cpu sched. I don't have a stock kernel anymore to double check. There isn't much harm in just trying different ones and seeing how it goes for a few days.

Default io sched should be cfq and I think that's probably the best except in pretty exotically special cases. But honestly I don't think any will make very much difference on flash vs hard drives. You can google tests that people have run on ssd's to get an idea.

swalter718
Old
Thanks Meter 73

There's actually a substantial i/o performance difference between cfq and deadline. IMO, deadline provides superior performance on flash-disks(ssd) paired with multi-core processors. Try deadline for 72 hours and compare for yourself

Sent from an evil, dark place...
~ ROM: JellyBomb v14.0
~ Radio: L900VPAMA7
~ Kernel: Perseus alpha32