Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Location based services annoyance

OP Braves1995

14th February 2013, 04:59 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
88 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Hi all,

I've been plagued with this issue over the last month or so. I have location based services set to off and get a frequent popup box stating the following:

"Location Based Service Disabled. You need to enable location based services if you want to use the location-based features of this application. Once enabled, Kindle Fire will use Wi-Fi to help determine your location."

This comes up when I have Dolphin Browser open and go to Google, and sporadically at other websites. Anyone know a way to STOP this from coming up?? If I wanted this service enabled (which I don't, and won't), I would enable the thing. Why the constant nag to turn it on? It seems it must be related to a particular app I have installed, but I haven't been able to pinpoint which one.
14th February 2013, 08:15 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 64
 
627 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
Re: [Q] Location based services annoyance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves1995

Hi all,

I've been plagued with this issue over the last month or so. I have location based services set to off and get a frequent popup box stating the following:

"Location Based Service Disabled. You need to enable location based services if you want to use the location-based features of this application. Once enabled, Kindle Fire will use Wi-Fi to help determine your location."

This comes up when I have Dolphin Browser open and go to Google, and sporadically at other websites. Anyone know a way to STOP this from coming up?? If I wanted this service enabled (which I don't, and won't), I would enable the thing. Why the constant nag to turn it on? It seems it must be related to a particular app I have installed, but I haven't been able to pinpoint which one.

Sounds like Google wants to know where you are. Something with the website not with the Kindle itself if that makes sense. See if you can look through the Google settings through dolphin and find something related to location based services. Also, do you have Facebook or Facebook messenger installed? Those 2 may be requesting it as well...

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app
16th February 2013, 11:17 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
88 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Couldn't solve this through Dolphin, which is a shame because it's an awesome browser otherwise. So, uninstalled and went with Opera Mini..haven't had the popup message since.
17th February 2013, 02:46 AM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Northern NJ
Thanks Meter: 696
 
2,344 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Donate to Me
More
Re: [Q] Location based services annoyance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves1995

Couldn't solve this through Dolphin, which is a shame because it's an awesome browser otherwise. So, uninstalled and went with Opera Mini..haven't had the popup message since.

There's a setting in dolphin itself to turn off location based services. Once you set it to off, it shouldn't ask you again.
17th February 2013, 08:15 PM   |  #5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
88 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by fachadick

There's a setting in dolphin itself to turn off location based services. Once you set it to off, it shouldn't ask you again.

It WAS set to off. That is WHY the popup was appearing. The popup was requesting that I turn it on.
17th February 2013, 08:36 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Northern NJ
Thanks Meter: 696
 
2,344 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Donate to Me
More
Re: [Q] Location based services annoyance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves1995

It WAS set to off. That is WHY the popup was appearing. The popup was requesting that I turn it on.

I thought you meant the setting in the Kindle was set to off, not this one in dolphin. If you don't set it to off in dolphin also, dolphin thinks it on, tries to get your location from the Kindle when it hits certain websites, but sees that it's off, and tells you to turn in on in the Kindle. Which is exactly what your describing. Sorry if I misunderstood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1361129782834.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1738318  
Last edited by fachadick; 17th February 2013 at 10:40 PM.
18th February 2013, 02:39 AM   |  #7  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
88 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by fachadick

I thought you meant the setting in the Kindle was set to off, not this one in dolphin. If you don't set it to off in dolphin also, dolphin thinks it on, tries to get your location from the Kindle when it hits certain websites, but sees that it's off, and tells you to turn in on in the Kindle. Which is exactly what your describing. Sorry if I misunderstood.

This is making me feel completely ignorant, lol. I have it set to off in the Kindle settings as well as within Dolphin Browser. I'm still getting the popup. Could it have something to do with the "Private" mode setting? I have that set to off too, but I tried it with on and it still did it. Basically, I've tried every combination I could think of. I notice in the Kindle setting there is also an on/off switch relating to Location Services and Google. This popup I'm getting usually happens when I go to Google.com, but not always. Sometimes it randomly comes up when I visit other sites. I'm wondering if I have something else installed that could be conflicting and prompting this popup. Here's screenshots of how I currently have it set and still getting the popup:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-02-17-17-34-15.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	1739014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-02-17-17-35-00.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	1739015  
18th February 2013, 03:04 AM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Northern NJ
Thanks Meter: 696
 
2,344 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Donate to Me
More
Re: [Q] Location based services annoyance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves1995

This is making me feel completely ignorant, lol. I have it set to off in the Kindle settings as well as within Dolphin Browser. I'm still getting the popup. Could it have something to do with the "Private" mode setting? I have that set to off too, but I tried it with on and it still did it. Basically, I've tried every combination I could think of. I notice in the Kindle setting there is also an on/off switch relating to Location Services and Google. This popup I'm getting usually happens when I go to Google.com, but not always. Sometimes it randomly comes up when I visit other sites. I'm wondering if I have something else installed that could be conflicting and prompting this popup. Here's screenshots of how I currently have it set and still getting the popup:

That might be it. I was getting that message on my wife's kindle before I turned that option off in dolphin, and haven't seen it since. But she doesn't have that Google services option in the kindle settings, just the basic kindle location settings one. She's running a pretty stock unrooted setup. Sorry I couldn't be more help. But if I had to guess, I would think that Google location setting is the culprit.
18th February 2013, 04:37 AM   |  #9  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
88 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by fachadick

That might be it. I was getting that message on my wife's kindle before I turned that option off in dolphin, and haven't seen it since. But she doesn't have that Google services option in the kindle settings, just the basic kindle location settings one. She's running a pretty stock unrooted setup. Sorry I couldn't be more help. But if I had to guess, I would think that Google location setting is the culprit.

Thank you for helping me out. I'll play around with it a bit more and report back any new results.

Edit: It appears that in Dolphin Browser if you view sites via the desktop version and not the mobile version ('classic' in Google) this popup does not appear, which is just fine with me as I dislike mobile versions of webpages anway. So, all is good: location based services are disabled and no more popups!
Last edited by Braves1995; 18th February 2013 at 04:59 AM.
18th February 2013, 03:03 PM   |  #10  
Senior Member
Northern NJ
Thanks Meter: 696
 
2,344 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Donate to Me
More
Re: [Q] Location based services annoyance
Nice, glad you got it working!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes