How to Fix the Nexus Available Storage Bug – XDA TV

Is your Nexus device only showing half of the available storage as it should? Many … more

Don’t Forget About Birthdays with Birthday Reminder

A person’s birthday is, without a doubt,one of the most important days in his … more

Don’t Fear Flashing with I Don’t Want You!

The XDA message boards are full of various modifications, with many of these helping … more

Quo Vadis, Open {Source, Standards, World}? w/ Jan Wildeboer – XDA:DevCon 2014

Open Source was a big topic at this years XDA:DevCon … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

What I want to be able to do with my GS3....

OP synpax

18th February 2013, 04:23 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

176 posts
I want to be able to plug my GS3's USB port into a wire, or maybe do this wirelessly, and then see Android screen on a large monitor and use a mouse and keyboard to intract with the display on the large screen.

I am baffled at the idea that this is not possible... so I must be missing something?

I have a little netbook that I use in this way, and the GS3 is a much more powerful device (it can play videos that the netbook cannot manage).
18th February 2013, 05:01 AM   |  #2  
Flag Overland Park
Thanks Meter: 14

58 posts
More
Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. HDMI MHL adapter.

But why? They make a pc for that.

Gs3 is not very powerful and you won't have good resolution. Productivity will be minimal.

If you want a mobile PC grab a windows 8 tablet like the surface pro.
Last edited by bkaltec; 18th February 2013 at 05:04 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bkaltec For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th February 2013, 07:48 AM   |  #3  
Rupert
Thanks Meter: 160

866 posts
More
Re: What I want to be able to do with my GS3....
Do you want a desktop or a mobile device?

You could buy a transformer type tablet or build a desktop for pretty cheap.

If you want this to be mobile, that's a lot of crap to carry around... How would you even power the screen? Seems like those people who bring desktops to coffee shops.

If you want a desktop, you can come build or buy one that's much more powerful for not all that much more than the cost of hooking your phone up - and then you don't have to worry about battery life draining and overheating.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
18th February 2013, 08:50 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

176 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by synpax

I want to be able to plug my GS3's USB port into a wire, or maybe do this wirelessly, and then see Android screen on a large monitor and use a mouse and keyboard to intract with the display on the large screen.

I am baffled at the idea that this is not possible... so I must be missing something?

I have a little netbook that I use in this way, and the GS3 is a much more powerful device (it can play videos that the netbook cannot manage).

You guys don't quiet get it. I have a powerful desktop replacement and a netbook.

But I like the idea of having all this in my pocket and just plugging into a workstation at home.

And a Microsoft Surface? EEWWwwwww.
18th February 2013, 03:46 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 35

849 posts
It is possible, I'm using WD Live, no keyboard use tho, but I can stream YouTube or play files from my phone onto tv using wd and some other UpnP apps.

18th February 2013, 04:37 PM   |  #6  
Flag Overland Park
Thanks Meter: 14

58 posts
More
Surface PRO. Not a toy like an iPad or surface rt. The Pro is a productive machine.

I dont understand.. So you want to carry a keyboard, mouse, HDMI adapter, and power cable in your pocket along with your phone?
18th February 2013, 07:25 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 51

275 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkaltec

Surface PRO. Not a toy like an iPad or surface rt. The Pro is a productive machine.

I dont understand.. So you want to carry a keyboard, mouse, HDMI adapter, and power cable in your pocket along with your phone?

Lmao, idk why I thought this comment was hilarious :P

18th February 2013, 08:47 PM   |  #8  
Flag Human City
Thanks Meter: 76

342 posts
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for --> https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...dGVjbGllbnQiXQ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by synpax

19th February 2013, 02:54 AM   |  #9  
Rupert
Thanks Meter: 160

866 posts
More
If you want to be able to just plug it into yet another set of hardware at home... just go buy the stuff and plug it in.

Bluetooth is still a better deal than wired keyboard/mouse - but you still have the battery drain issue, which is why this is not a practical idea - especially since we're talking about an S3. It should be able to accept hardware input through the micro usb, but it's not really designed for that - and you'd have to get adapters and hub and why have all that crap taking up space if you already have a home system ? I wonder what would happen if you had three pieces of hardware trying to use the same micro-usb input, too (obviously, hubs work, but they have to share - and the monitor is going to want a lot of the available transfer capacity for itself) - makes more sense to just use it for HDMI to the monitor and use bluetooth for the peripherals.

If you had a phone that could run off AC only, it might fare better - since there'd be no battery constantly charging and draining and heating everything up, but the S3 won't do that.

Cool idea in theory ? Yeah. It would be great. But in practice, not so much. It would be better if the S3 could run from AC only - heck, it'd be almost a good idea. But since it can't and it lacks great cooling (since it's a compact, air-cooled phone), you're just going to be exposing the phone to high operating temperatures for extended periods of time which isn't exactly great for it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread