Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,220 Members 37,469 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Question about TW based ROMs vs AOSP based ROMs.

Tip us?

rizzodg
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default [Q] Question about TW based ROMs vs AOSP based ROMs.

Hey guys, I read somewhere that Touchwiz based ROMs tend to have better battery life, higher data speeds, and better reception. Is this true? I've been running AOSP ROMs pretty much since the beginning, and can't really find any TW ROMs that sound good. I also dont care about the TW features since they all seem like lazy gimmicks to me. However, if they do have better reception, speeds, and battery life, I might switch.

xBeerdroiDx
Old
Thanks Meter 1,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzodg View Post
Hey guys, I read somewhere that Touchwiz based ROMs tend to have better battery life, higher data speeds, and better reception. Is this true? I've been running AOSP ROMs pretty much since the beginning, and can't really find any TW ROMs that sound good. I also dont care about the TW features since they all seem like lazy gimmicks to me. However, if they do have better reception, speeds, and battery life, I might switch.
TW has better bluetooth audio...aaaaaaaand thats about the all advantages i can think of think of.

i get hours more battery life on my AOKP rom than my wife does on her stock s3. identical reception. identical LTE. loads more rom/user options. i dont think i have to point out why millions of s3's are running an aosp-based rom. cheers

The All-In-One Guides for the Nexus 5, Galaxy S4 - I337 and Galaxy S3 - I747

blaker13
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Default Re: [Q] Question about TW based ROMs vs AOSP based ROMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBeerdroiDx View Post
TW has better bluetooth audio...aaaaaaaand thats about the all advantages i can think of think of.

i get hours more battery life on my AOKP rom than my wife does on her stock s3. identical reception. identical LTE. loads more rom/user options. i dont think i have to point out why millions of s3's are running an aosp-based rom. cheers
+1^^^^^

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

rizzodg
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
So its not true that TW based ROMs take better quality pictures than AOSP ROMs?

cjranucci
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzodg View Post
So its not true that TW based ROMs take better quality pictures than AOSP ROMs?
I believe that picture quality is a subjective metric. Some people prefer the pics from AOSP, some from TW. Other's can't tell the difference. The different frameworks allow for different options. Honestly it is a matter of taste. My best advice is to flash to stock or another TW ROM and take some pictures. Only way you are going to know for sure. Other's experiences may very well be different than your own.
AT&T Galaxy S5

mshanewalker1
Old
Thanks Meter 4

Truly a matter of what ya like, I use task 650 AOKP and could never loose ROM control or the extras I get with AOKP as far as camera, sound and signal being better I see it all about the same, if you can tell a difference you sir are sharper than I. As far as the battery I'm happy, but I've herd of crazy life like 7 days on TW but I don't turn anything off and use my phone a decent amount. Like already stated flash away and test for a few days to see which and report back

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1361215208564.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1741154   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1361215217415.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	1741155  

xBeerdroiDx
Old
Thanks Meter 1,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshanewalker1 View Post
Truly a matter of what ya like, I use task 650 AOKP and could never loose ROM control or the extras I get with AOKP as far as camera, sound and signal being better I see it all about the same, if you can tell a difference you sir are sharper than I. As far as the battery I'm happy, but I've herd of crazy life like 7 days on TW but I don't turn anything off and use my phone a decent amount. Like already stated flash away and test for a few days to see which and report back

The only way anyone is getting 7 days on a single charge is with airplane mode on, all other features off and setting it on top of their fridge for a week...especially with TW

The All-In-One Guides for the Nexus 5, Galaxy S4 - I337 and Galaxy S3 - I747

cjranucci
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by xBeerdroiDx View Post
The only way anyone is getting 7 days on a single charge is with airplane mode on, all other features off and setting it on top of their fridge for a week...especially with TW
I doubt that is true as well. TW has a lot of bloat by design and all of that equals faster battery drain.
AT&T Galaxy S5

mshanewalker1
Old
Thanks Meter 4

dsixda
Old
Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 4,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjranucci View Post
I believe that picture quality is a subjective metric. Some people prefer the pics from AOSP, some from TW. Other's can't tell the difference. The different frameworks allow for different options. Honestly it is a matter of taste. My best advice is to flash to stock or another TW ROM and take some pictures. Only way you are going to know for sure. Other's experiences may very well be different than your own.
I'm trying Task650's AOKP and I don't see too much of a downgrade in camera quality, but camcorder recordings are quite choppy. Other than that, I'd take this rom over TW any day.