Sony to Extend its AOSP Program to Other Devices

Sony will be offering its users the possibility to use AOSP ROMs as an alternative to the … more

Project Ara Smartphone Will Run Modified Android L with Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and … more

Streamline Android Theme Customization with Graphic Porter

I dont have a custom theme on my Android phone, and the reason for this is because … more

Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more
Post Reply

4.2.2 problems....

18th February 2013, 04:14 AM   |  #1  
Tesla67's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
58 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
Anyone else having issues with apps randomly restarting, live backgrounds going black, and widgets disapearing for a sec then reloading every time you hit the home button? I run avast for antivirus and anti theft but it keeps shutting down for a few mins then reloading ( or appears to be because it disappears from the app tray and then shows back up a few minutes later) , then I'll be in the middle of a movie on Netflix and boom it restarts the app. Any clue what's going on. BTW I'm rooted with cwm.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app
18th February 2013, 04:23 AM   |  #2  
styckx's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,461
 
2,806 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla67

Anyone else having issues with apps randomly restarting, live backgrounds going black, and widgets disapearing for a sec then reloading every time you hit the home button? I run avast for antivirus and anti theft but it keeps shutting down for a few mins then reloading ( or appears to be because it disappears from the app tray and then shows back up a few minutes later) , then I'll be in the middle of a movie on Netflix and boom it restarts the app. Any clue what's going on. BTW I'm rooted with cwm.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

Wow.. This is called screen redraw and it is usually something that plagues older devices like the Nexus S that are short on RAM.. Or even newer devices that have so many background instances going the system starts releasing things from memory to free up some RAM for active apps. The homescreen is usually the first to get removed from memory.. Hence, when you go back, it has to "redraw" the homescreen..

For you to get homescreen redraws with the Nexus 10 you have to be running a ludicrous amount of apps all at once.. IMO Avast and Security suites on an Android device are highly unnecessary.
18th February 2013, 04:30 AM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 60
 
330 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by styckx

Wow.. This is called screen redraw and it is usually something that plagues older devices like the Nexus S that are short on RAM.. Or even newer devices that have so many background instances going the system starts releasing things from memory to free up some RAM for active apps. The homescreen is usually the first to get removed from memory.. Hence, when you go back, it has to "redraw" the homescreen..

For you to get homescreen redraws with the Nexus 10 you have to be running a ludicrous amount of apps all at once.. IMO Avast and Security suites on an Android device are highly unnecessary.

This happens to me on my Nexus 10 after fresh reboots with only going from the browser to the homescreen.
18th February 2013, 04:44 AM   |  #4  
Tesla67's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
58 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
Re: 4.2.2 problems....
I use my tablet at school so the avast is for the anti theft. looks like it was caused by low mem. Only 100 MBs where avalible restarted going to see if it happens again and what app is having issues. FYI this wasn't the first time I restarted to try and fix the redraw issue.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app
Last edited by Tesla67; 18th February 2013 at 04:47 AM.
18th February 2013, 12:52 PM   |  #5  
Andrewtst's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Johor
Thanks Meter: 1,410
 
4,229 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
Donate to Me
More
Redraw issue? Never face so far in Nexus 10, unlike my S III where redraw like nobody business.

Anti virus was really unnecessary app, try unload it to see whether it solve your problem or not.
18th February 2013, 12:59 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 60
 
330 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewtst

Redraw issue? Never face so far in Nexus 10, unlike my S III where redraw like nobody business.

Anti virus was really unnecessary app, try unload it to see whether it solve your problem or not.

I have the exact opposite problem. My nexus 10 redraws like crazy and my old SIII and now Note 2 have never redrawn.
18th February 2013, 01:40 PM   |  #7  
vittogn's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 53
 
482 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla67

Anyone else having issues with apps randomly restarting, live backgrounds going black, and widgets disapearing for a sec then reloading every time you hit the home button? I run avast for antivirus and anti theft but it keeps shutting down for a few mins then reloading ( or appears to be because it disappears from the app tray and then shows back up a few minutes later) , then I'll be in the middle of a movie on Netflix and boom it restarts the app. Any clue what's going on. BTW I'm rooted with cwm.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

Home screen redraw happens to me on stock launcher, same as 4.2.1, exiting from browsers. When it happens it is very quick to recover but home screens switching is for a couple of seconds very laggy.
Not a big deal though....
18th February 2013, 03:07 PM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 451
 
1,406 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Re: 4.2.2 problems....
I don't know that it is true, full redraw, as I have the same issue, but the difference between it and normal is redraw is my non widget icons never disappear. From my perspective, it seems that Android 4.2+ has been keen on refreshing widgets every time one goes back to the home screen...where it seems that it simply wants to make sure that it gets the latest data for the widgets. This is anecdotal, of course.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium
18th February 2013, 04:45 PM   |  #9  
Andrewtst's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Johor
Thanks Meter: 1,410
 
4,229 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheMajin

I have the exact opposite problem. My nexus 10 redraws like crazy and my old SIII and now Note 2 have never redrawn.

Weird. Haha! I know Note II won't redraw as 2gb RAM was enough to prevent it, but this was different case for 1gb RAM S III.
18th February 2013, 06:56 PM   |  #10  
Tesla67's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
58 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
Re: 4.2.2 problems....
Glad to report it hasn't redrawn since I restarted it. Netflix was the culprit was using massive amount of ram for some reason.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes