Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,111 Members 48,691 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

4.2.2 problems....

Tip us?

Tesla67
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default 4.2.2 problems....

Anyone else having issues with apps randomly restarting, live backgrounds going black, and widgets disapearing for a sec then reloading every time you hit the home button? I run avast for antivirus and anti theft but it keeps shutting down for a few mins then reloading ( or appears to be because it disappears from the app tray and then shows back up a few minutes later) , then I'll be in the middle of a movie on Netflix and boom it restarts the app. Any clue what's going on. BTW I'm rooted with cwm.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

styckx
Old
Thanks Meter 1460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla67 View Post
Anyone else having issues with apps randomly restarting, live backgrounds going black, and widgets disapearing for a sec then reloading every time you hit the home button? I run avast for antivirus and anti theft but it keeps shutting down for a few mins then reloading ( or appears to be because it disappears from the app tray and then shows back up a few minutes later) , then I'll be in the middle of a movie on Netflix and boom it restarts the app. Any clue what's going on. BTW I'm rooted with cwm.

Wow.. This is called screen redraw and it is usually something that plagues older devices like the Nexus S that are short on RAM.. Or even newer devices that have so many background instances going the system starts releasing things from memory to free up some RAM for active apps. The homescreen is usually the first to get removed from memory.. Hence, when you go back, it has to "redraw" the homescreen..

For you to get homescreen redraws with the Nexus 10 you have to be running a ludicrous amount of apps all at once.. IMO Avast and Security suites on an Android device are highly unnecessary.
Current OS: Dual boot / Windows 8 & Ubuntu 13.04
Current PC i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz / 8GB Mushkin Enhanced Redline @ 1600MHz / 2X - GTX 680 Twin Frozr SLI / P8Z68 DELUXE / 2TB/1TB/1TB
Current active devices: Nexus 4 / Nexus 10 / Chromecast
Former devices: Nexus 7 / Nexus S 4G / Galaxy Tab 10.1 / Samsung Epic 4G / Samsung Moment
Google+ Profile: DELETED

NickTheMajin
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by styckx View Post
Wow.. This is called screen redraw and it is usually something that plagues older devices like the Nexus S that are short on RAM.. Or even newer devices that have so many background instances going the system starts releasing things from memory to free up some RAM for active apps. The homescreen is usually the first to get removed from memory.. Hence, when you go back, it has to "redraw" the homescreen..

For you to get homescreen redraws with the Nexus 10 you have to be running a ludicrous amount of apps all at once.. IMO Avast and Security suites on an Android device are highly unnecessary.
This happens to me on my Nexus 10 after fresh reboots with only going from the browser to the homescreen.

Tesla67
Old
(Last edited by Tesla67; 18th February 2013 at 04:47 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Re: 4.2.2 problems....

I use my tablet at school so the avast is for the anti theft. looks like it was caused by low mem. Only 100 MBs where avalible restarted going to see if it happens again and what app is having issues. FYI this wasn't the first time I restarted to try and fix the redraw issue.

Andrewtst
Old
Thanks Meter 1399

DONATE TO ME
Redraw issue? Never face so far in Nexus 10, unlike my S III where redraw like nobody business.

Anti virus was really unnecessary app, try unload it to see whether it solve your problem or not.
Phone: Redmi Note & HTC ONE (M8) | ROM: Stock (Redmi) & Android Revolution HD 10.2 (M8)
Future Phone: Xiaomi Mi4

Ex. Phone: Nokia 3310, Samsung S500, Nokia 7610, 7270, 7280, SE K750, Nokia N73, LG Viewty KU990, Samsung Pixon, UltraTOUCH, OMNIA II, Nokia 3120 Classic, Google Nexus One, Samsung Galaxy S II, S III, Sony Xperia Z, Z Ultra, Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

Tablet: Sony Xperia Tablet Z | ROM: Stock v10.5.A.0.230
Future Tablet: Still Finding

Ex. Tablet: Google Nexus 10

NickTheMajin
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewtst View Post
Redraw issue? Never face so far in Nexus 10, unlike my S III where redraw like nobody business.

Anti virus was really unnecessary app, try unload it to see whether it solve your problem or not.
I have the exact opposite problem. My nexus 10 redraws like crazy and my old SIII and now Note 2 have never redrawn.

vittogn
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla67 View Post

Home screen redraw happens to me on stock launcher, same as 4.2.1, exiting from browsers. When it happens it is very quick to recover but home screens switching is for a couple of seconds very laggy.
Not a big deal though....
Ciao.
Vittore

Nexus 10 (Stock 4.4.2) - Nexus 4 (Stock 4.4.2) - Nexus 5 (Stock 4.4.2) - LG G2 D802 (CM 11 M6)

squshy 7
Old
Thanks Meter 451

I don't know that it is true, full redraw, as I have the same issue, but the difference between it and normal is redraw is my non widget icons never disappear. From my perspective, it seems that Android 4.2+ has been keen on refreshing widgets every time one goes back to the home screen...where it seems that it simply wants to make sure that it gets the latest data for the widgets. This is anecdotal, of course.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium
[21:22] <Shabbypenguin> but the nexus... well its gunna be better than sex

Andrewtst
Old
Thanks Meter 1399

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheMajin View Post
I have the exact opposite problem. My nexus 10 redraws like crazy and my old SIII and now Note 2 have never redrawn.
Weird. Haha! I know Note II won't redraw as 2gb RAM was enough to prevent it, but this was different case for 1gb RAM S III.
Phone: Redmi Note & HTC ONE (M8) | ROM: Stock (Redmi) & Android Revolution HD 10.2 (M8)
Future Phone: Xiaomi Mi4

Ex. Phone: Nokia 3310, Samsung S500, Nokia 7610, 7270, 7280, SE K750, Nokia N73, LG Viewty KU990, Samsung Pixon, UltraTOUCH, OMNIA II, Nokia 3120 Classic, Google Nexus One, Samsung Galaxy S II, S III, Sony Xperia Z, Z Ultra, Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

Tablet: Sony Xperia Tablet Z | ROM: Stock v10.5.A.0.230
Future Tablet: Still Finding

Ex. Tablet: Google Nexus 10

Tesla67
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5

Glad to report it hasn't redrawn since I restarted it. Netflix was the culprit was using massive amount of ram for some reason.