Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,266 Members 40,607 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Post JB update Navigation/Maps crash

Tip us?

sweeds
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Try all of the following
  • Clear data for Maps
  • Clear data for Google Services Framework
  • Uninstall and Reinstall Maps and Naviation
  • Fix Permissions (custom recovery > advanced)

You could download an .apk for an older version of maps/nav to confirm if it's the latest release.

If all of that doesn't work and you still get Force Closes, then something deeper is going on. Download a logcat script capture (I use aLogCat) and post your results after replicating the FC. Hope this guidance helps you in some way. GL.
The Following User Says Thank You to sweeds For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stupidchicken03
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeds View Post
Try all of the following
  • Clear data for Maps
  • Clear data for Google Services Framework
  • Uninstall and Reinstall Maps and Naviation
  • Fix Permissions (custom recovery > advanced)

You could download an .apk for an older version of maps/nav to confirm if it's the latest release.

If all of that doesn't work and you still get Force Closes, then something deeper is going on. Download a logcat script capture (I use aLogCat) and post your results after replicating the FC. Hope this guidance helps you in some way. GL.
Did the 4 bullet points in that order. So far, things seem to be a bit better, but it still says "searching for GPS" but at the same time I dont get great service inside my house. So tonight when I head out ill see if I can get a GPS lock on.

Even before when it was "searching for GPS" I could move the map around zoom in/out and it would force close after just a few seconds. Its better because I can scroll around and it hasnt closed yet.

Thanks
Feature phone -- LG V -- LG enV -- LG Voyager -- Blackberry Tour -- Droid Pro -- Droid Razr -- Galaxy S III -- Note 3

sweeds
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Default Re: Post JB update Navigation/Maps crash

Glad to hear there is some improvement!

Download an app called GPS Status. It will tell you how many Satellites you're locked onto, and you can download the aGPS patch fix.

Sent via SGS3 using Tapatalk

stupidchicken03
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Well now that I'm out of the house it has FC on my twice within 3mins

Think I'll try an older version APK. Any idea where to start my search for that?

I went back and read the GS3 reviews on Maps in the play store and a lot of ppl have the same issues
Feature phone -- LG V -- LG enV -- LG Voyager -- Blackberry Tour -- Droid Pro -- Droid Razr -- Galaxy S III -- Note 3

sweeds
Old
Thanks Meter 73

Sounds like it may be a bug in the latest version of GMaps.

Previous Google Maps apk:
http://www.eapktop.com/tag/google-maps-apk

stupidchicken03
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
I went to that site and downloaded a .zip file of a previous version. Do I just load the whole .zip file from CWM? I didnt see (may have missed it) any APKs, they all seemed to be market links or .zip

I also just installed aLogCat. Booted Navigation and after it crashed I opened LogCat and it said "reading logs, please wait" and nothing ever happened.

sweeds
Old
Thanks Meter 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03 View Post
I went to that site and downloaded a .zip file of a previous version. Do I just load the whole .zip file from CWM? I didnt see (may have missed it) any APKs, they all seemed to be market links or .zip

I also just installed aLogCat. Booted Navigation and after it crashed I opened LogCat and it said "reading logs, please wait" and nothing ever happened.
I assume you just need to unzip the file and there's an apk in there.

For aLogCat, make sure you hit the play button first off. Also, go into settings and make sure the level is set to "verbose"

stupidchicken03
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Already tried unzipping it but there are no APKs in there.

For aLogCat, it was already set to verbose and when I open the program it says its running and only has the "pause" button. If I hit pause, I can then hit play, but it doesnt do anything again.

sweeds
Old
(Last edited by sweeds; 18th February 2013 at 11:10 PM.)
Thanks Meter 73
Google Maps APK Links:
http://www.androiddrawer.com/6632/do.../#.USKzelqY5b0

Current version is 6.14.2, if you look on the right-hand side you can see different versions. This link is for the last major release, 6.12.0.

I recommend clearing Google Maps data, uninstall, then install using the prev version release apk. If the FC's stop, then we can confirm that the problem is a bug in the latest update to the app. Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to sweeds For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stupidchicken03
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeds View Post
Google Maps APK Links:
http://www.androiddrawer.com/6632/do.../#.USKzelqY5b0

Current version is 6.14.2, if you look on the right-hand side you can see different versions. This link is for the last major release, 6.12.0.

I recommend clearing Google Maps data, uninstall, then install using the prev version release apk. If the FC's stop, then we can confirm that the problem is a bug in the latest update to the app. Good luck
Did all that and installed both 6.12 and 6.10 versions with no luck

I honestly think its something with the JB update and not just Maps.. but then again idk why mine didnt work after using Odin to go back to 4.0.4

The screenshot below is just 5 of the most recent ratings for Maps on the GS3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JB Maps.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1743684