Flag Pisa, Italy
Thanks Meter: 97

1,886 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDeath

Mar.29.2011 UPDATE:

If anyone has been keeping track of the Dev forum Post, you will see we are making progress in the GPS/AGPS development. One of the key things that has surfaced thank to MEMIN1857 is the GPSFix.0.1.apk file, which can be downloaded from his post: GPSFIX-0.1.apk. Install this on your phone, and then run it after install, there is no gui, it will download the necessary "xtra.bin" file that is needed by the GPS/AGPS, and after 30 seconds it will say fixed. This is one of the cruiel parts of the GPS that has been missing. Also I found through lots of searching you should add the following lines to the end of your GPS.conf file located in /system/etc. Add the following to the end of the file:

AGPS=/data/xtra.bin
XTRA_SERVER_1=/data/xtra.bin

Also jaba_cz had a line in theory which I will post here which you can add at the end as well, all three lines will not break anything, so its safe to add this line too, I just cant confirm results as of yet:

AGPS=http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

Many people are working on this with alot of info I am hoping soon we will get the gps working for everyone in an acceptable manner.

Ok....should I add these lines to my gps.conf file after having installed and executed the GPSFix.0.1.apk file???

AGPS=/data/xtra.bin
XTRA_SERVER_1=/data/xtra.bin
AGPS=http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

Please let me know.

Sent from my GT-i9300XXDLJ4 using XDA app
7th December 2012, 01:13 AM   |  #1282  
Thanks Meter: 68

1,838 posts
can i install these files in a native sd rom?
5th January 2013, 02:50 AM   |  #1283  
Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 0

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekssx

I'm using a Motorola Triumph and hadn't been able to get a lock at all, after using the conf file for the North East I get a locked extremely quick... ONLY a problem...
For some reason the GPS it is locating me off the coast of South Africa and I live in the North East section of USA.....

Anyone able to help me out here please? I love how it locks quick, but the location is WAY OFF.

*EDIT* To be more exact, the lat and long are both 0, It's locating me at the Origin.

Sorry, I just HAD to comment on this!

That is not even close to "the coast of South Africa"!

If you measure it on Google Earth you will find 0N/S and 0E is only 2,200miles (about 3,620Km) from the coast of South Africa!
Man you really do need a GPS! Hope you get it working soon.

Seriously though, it means that your GPS has no position data at all and reverts to zeros for lat and long.
In the mid 1970's aircraft used the Litton 72 INS system that only held 9 waypoints that had to be manually entered by the pilots. If they forgot to re-program in flight, the aircraft would turn toward 0N/S and 0E as that is the default number. The position was referred to by pilots as the "graveyard".
Seems not a lot has changed in GPS software.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Close to South Africa - yeah right.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1617724  
Last edited by TigerTrader; 5th January 2013 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Picture added for laughs
6th January 2013, 02:06 PM   |  #1284  
Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 0

16 posts
A few observations from a relative "Noobie"
Hi folks,

I have read the thread from beginning to end a few times and have run some tests of my own. I thought I would share my observations and comments.

It is a huge pity that the the clash of Titans between AngelDeath and Jaiy ended badly because I feel that Jaiy had some extremely valid points even if the were presented rather harshly. For instance, his comments about the NTP servers led me to do some tests of my own.

What I found is that if you run a "ping" test from the command window some of the servers fail to return the ping. Others ping pack promptly. I would heartily suggest to my fellow forum pals that before using a time server in their script that they run a ping test to see if the server they wish to use is valid.

For example: "ping hk.pool.ntp.org" times out every time so it is useless to use that in a script.
but.... "ping asia.pool.ntp.org" returns a successful ping.
See attached image.

I tested AngelDeath's Asia script from post#1 of this thread and, while it worked, I found the results to be excellent at times and then at other times I could not lock on to any satellites at all, even using a hot start with GPS Status. At times, the only way I could get any signal was to clear the A-GPS data and reload it.

So I decided to test Jaiy's method and ran a modified version of his script. The result is that while lock times are a few seconds slower, the acquisition of satellites appears to be more consistent. This may be due to only using an NTP server that actually responds to a ping test. Perhaps a non-responding server "hangs" the acquisition process? Hmmmm....

I would therefore strongly suggest you test this yourselves and modify your own scripts to make sure you are using a server that is up and running. You can find the servers for your area at http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/

The gps.conf I am currently running looks like this:

NTP_SERVER=asia.pool.ntp.org
INTERMEDIATE_POS=1
ACCURACY_THRES=5000
CURRENT_CARRIER=common
DEFAULT_USER_PLANE=TRUE
REPORT_POSITION_USE_SUPL_REFLOC=1

I use ADB to push the file, clear the cache and Dalvik cache and then reboot. While the lock times are not staggeringly fast they are very acceptable and the results seem to be fairly stable and consistent.

It took me a while to get ADB to work before I figured out that USB Debugging has to be turned on.
As I said, I'm still a Noob!

I will be pleased to hear if anyone else has used this method and any comments/crticisms so we can all learn and hopefully move forward with faster GPS lock times. Perhaps this data can be merged with AngelDeaths work to produce a killer conf file. I hope so!

Cheers!

Phone Samsung Galaxy SII I9100
Android 4.0.4 / Rooted
Kernel Siyah v5.0.1

P.S. For the prurists: yes I know it's a config file, not a script!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ping.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1621494   Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS Status result.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	1621495   Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS Test result.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1621496  
Last edited by TigerTrader; 16th January 2013 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Minor spelling correction
18th February 2013, 05:49 AM   |  #1285  
NYC
Thanks Meter: 24

159 posts
Donate to Me
More
Not sure if I am missing something but I couldn't find any working link to ftp to download the new versions as mentioned in the post#1. I am using jellytime on HTC inspire and can not lock in to any gps despite using few gps patches that are out there. Please help me.
Thanks
18th February 2013, 08:14 AM   |  #1286  
Flag Tickfaw
Thanks Meter: 4,768

5,731 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoc151

Not sure if I am missing something but I couldn't find any working link to ftp to download the new versions as mentioned in the post#1. I am using jellytime on HTC inspire and can not lock in to any gps despite using few gps patches that are out there. Please help me.
Thanks

download the fastergps and see if that helps (google market)
Attached Files
File Type: apk fastergps.apk - [Click for QR Code] (393.9 KB, 74 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to carl1961 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th February 2013, 11:49 PM   |  #1287  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 1,366

2,068 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoc151

Thanks

FTP Service fell asleep, dont know why.

All links are up and running now.
The Following User Says Thank You to AngelDeath For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th February 2013, 02:33 PM   |  #1288  
NYC
Thanks Meter: 24

159 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDeath

FTP Service fell asleep, dont know why.

All links are up and running now.

I am afraid, it is still asleep.
Thanks
19th February 2013, 06:45 PM   |  #1289  
OP Senior Member

2,068 posts
Donate to Me
More
Nope its not asleep, the hard drive is giving me problems, working on the system now, will post when its back up.
20th February 2013, 05:45 AM   |  #1290  
OP Senior Member

2,068 posts
Donate to Me
More
System fixed and operational again.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread