Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
View Poll Results: Do you plan to purchase a OUYA gaming console?
Yes. 214 47.87%
No. 107 23.94%
Haven't decided. 126 28.19%
Voters: 447. You may not vote on this poll

The OUYA console... is it doomed? Inquiring minds want to know...

OP paleh0rse

18th February 2013, 10:40 PM   |  #61  
Thanks Meter: 8

408 posts
More
I'll probably buy one... realistically I dont think they got it to market quick enough... cheapy Chinese devices such as the MK808 and MK802 etc really does what they seem to be aiming at.. I have one... it plays all my emulators and games I want it to, gamepad, keyboard etc all working... hardcore games I leave to my games rig

I think the best thing it has going for it is the support of Team XBMC.... killer app! It kept old Xbox's under alot of TV's for years after the 360 was released and before the jump to multi platform...
19th February 2013, 08:52 PM   |  #62  
Thanks Meter: 0

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeba

cheapy Chinese devices such as the MK808 and MK802 etc

I clearly haven't been paying much attention. I didn't know these even existed!
19th February 2013, 09:11 PM   |  #63  
Flag Vancouver, BC
Thanks Meter: 1

21 posts
More
Media Centre PC and Retro Console Emulator
The main purpose I have for the Ouya is to stream media to my TV. Recently, the PS3 has been OK, but with Cinavia watermarks being added to many new movies (and I imagine TV shows soon), the PS3 is not a good streamer for me. The Ouya will have more than enough processing power to playback 720p/1080p video in nearly any format.

I also plan to use Ouya as a retro emulator. Android emulators already exist for nearly every previous gen console, so it's not going to be difficult to get those operational on the Ouya.

For $100, it's going to make a great, flexible device for my TV. And if there are any great Android apps it can run, then I've got even more reasons to use these puppy. I hope YouTube is better on the Ouya than the PS3 as well.
20th February 2013, 09:29 AM   |  #64  

408 posts
More
Hmmm

'For $100, it's going to make a great, flexible device for my TV'..... but for 32 delivered to your door you can get a A9 Dual core 1.6Ghz CPU, Quad core Mali-400 GPU with 1GB RAM /8GB storage, mSD slot, with an air mouse/keyboard... now... that will do all the emulators and games etc... thats why I think they were a bit slow out of the blocks...

Finless Bob does great ROMs too.... USB hub and load it up with everything from an ethernet port to a PS3 controller, theres even XBMC builds for it...
Last edited by Geeba; 20th February 2013 at 09:34 AM.
22nd February 2013, 07:43 AM   |  #65  

59 posts
Re: The OUYA console... is it doomed? Inquiring minds want to know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeba

I'll probably buy one... realistically I dont think they got it to market quick enough... cheapy Chinese devices such as the MK808 and MK802 etc really does what they seem to be aiming at.. I have one... it plays all my emulators and games I want it to, gamepad, keyboard etc all working... hardcore games I leave to my games rig

The XBMC developer is currently having a hard time getting video hardware acceleration working for Rockchip-based devices like the MK series, as a lot of the information is proprietary.

Best to stick with Tegra/Snapdragon/Exynos devices if planning on using one of these as a media streamer.

XBMC on the Nexus 7 is able to decode any 1080p mkv my wireless N network will support. This bodes very *well* for the Ouya, which is clocked significantly higher than the Nexus 7.
Last edited by mancur; 22nd February 2013 at 08:41 PM.
22nd February 2013, 10:42 AM   |  #66  

408 posts
More
Yep Rockchip aren't playing ball but you can always use and external player such as MX or Dice which will do 1080... or even the player they ship it with - I've watched 720/1080 content on mine while my XBMC/HTPC was out of action.
22nd February 2013, 06:23 PM   |  #67  
Thanks Meter: 325

3,286 posts
I am a gamer and LOVE old school games and already have similar function with a Toshiba Excite 7.7 and its multimedia dock. Catch is that cost over $400 together. I can see the appeal of this device. People should appreciate this device will run faster since will not be closed in like a tablet. It will be running as fast as they can get it to and not melt- it does have a vent slot

The 808 Android stick needs tinkering to work as needed, plus will not be as fast for gaming and stuff like MAME, N64 and PSX. Also, the O has a gamepad with it and ready to use without tinkering for performance. I am not sure if I will get this, but think the Tegra 4 version might be the true big player for this platform. Do not be surprised if one with a Tegra 4 releases toward end of year, since too good to pass up for holiday sales.

I still might end up getting one of these, but just bought a 128GB iPad 4 and still have my TF300 with keyboard. I use them all for different stuff.

Looking forward to reviews of the "O" !

IMO, the gamepad, device and features would be worth the $40 or so premium over the Android thumb sticks. Then of course there is the Nvida game device and the Gamestick device that is like the Ouya in premise. The Nvidia DOES have a Tegra 4, but end of year launch. The Nvidia device though will be at least the cost of a good tablet.

BTW, Tegra 3 performs MUCH better than the Rockchips as far as higher def video content.
Last edited by rushless; 22nd February 2013 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Addtion about video
24th February 2013, 12:34 PM   |  #68  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 5

40 posts
More
So a lot of people are having issue with the whole "new hardware every year" thing.

...How many of you buy a new phone every year?

And if you didn't, how many of the new games released in the next year WOULDN'T you be able to play on your old device?

...I thought so.
25th February 2013, 01:40 PM   |  #69  
Flag SF Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 193

1,010 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhardware

... ...How many of you buy a new phone every year? And if you didn't, how many of the new games released in the next year WOULDN'T you be able to play on your old device? ...

Not me, but that's because I buy under contract, so it's every other year. I really don't play that many games on the phone, but I do play some. Thus, games haven't been a big issue for me.

I really don't think the new sku every year was that big of an issue. It's may be possible to upgrade. I just figured it's more a pricing and availablity issue. I'm assuming that Ouya has a target price point they want to hit for the street. It's possible that for new CPU, say the Tegra4, it could cost them enough to exceed that target. Plus, I don't think they'll have the numbers to be able to entice the CPU market to shift supplies, assuming it's limited enough, from the major mobile device makers such as Samsung, ASUS, HTC, and so forth.

My guess as to the whole Tegra3 versus Tegra4 is more mental. It's not quite the bragging power. Yes, it's not as powerful as a Tegra4 would be, But ti's not like a Tegra4 is going to bring graphics prowess of a 360 or PS3 It just may not able to handle as many characters and so forth. That said, doesn't mean there won't be fun games to be had. And really, I don't think it's going to make that much difference, especially if you're getting developers who are already in the Android platform, since they're use to having to make games that will not always been run on the latest hardware

Ultimately, the success lies in the content available for it. It'll be a chicken and egg situation. Need good games to bring the people in, but you need the people to bring more developers, which increases the odds of having good games.

Personally, although I'm getting one, I'm taking the wait and see approach. I think the concept is interesting and could be good for the gaming industry. I'm hopeful it'll have a good measure of success. I think a million or two units would be outstanding.
27th February 2013, 05:43 AM   |  #70  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 5

40 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy

Not me, but that's because I buy under contract, so it's every other year. I really don't play that many games on the phone, but I do play some. Thus, games haven't been a big issue for me.

I really don't think the new sku every year was that big of an issue. It's may be possible to upgrade. I just figured it's more a pricing and availablity issue. I'm assuming that Ouya has a target price point they want to hit for the street. It's possible that for new CPU, say the Tegra4, it could cost them enough to exceed that target. Plus, I don't think they'll have the numbers to be able to entice the CPU market to shift supplies, assuming it's limited enough, from the major mobile device makers such as Samsung, ASUS, HTC, and so forth.

My guess as to the whole Tegra3 versus Tegra4 is more mental. It's not quite the bragging power. Yes, it's not as powerful as a Tegra4 would be, But ti's not like a Tegra4 is going to bring graphics prowess of a 360 or PS3 It just may not able to handle as many characters and so forth. That said, doesn't mean there won't be fun games to be had. And really, I don't think it's going to make that much difference, especially if you're getting developers who are already in the Android platform, since they're use to having to make games that will not always been run on the latest hardware

Ultimately, the success lies in the content available for it. It'll be a chicken and egg situation. Need good games to bring the people in, but you need the people to bring more developers, which increases the odds of having good games.

Personally, although I'm getting one, I'm taking the wait and see approach. I think the concept is interesting and could be good for the gaming industry. I'm hopeful it'll have a good measure of success. I think a million or two units would be outstanding.

I feel like I'm saying the same thing over and over again but that's only because people all seem to have the same reservations when it comes to untested hardware.

The big issue I have with the whole "It doesnt have tegra4" thing is, tegra 3 hasn't even had enough time on market to actually be pushed to its limits, and even for the games that are optimised for it, they are developed to work over a plethora of different android device configurations. You'll probably end up finding that the Ouya tegra3 will perform eqully as well as the phone-based tegra4 due only to the uniformity of the hardware

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread