Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,262 Members 50,017 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Netflix on Ouya?

Tip us?

rootsamurai
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Netflix on Ouya?

I know we're just speculating about capabilities at this point, but does anyone know if the Ouya will be able to run the Netflix Android app? That would be a huge if it could.

lovekeiiy
Old
Thanks Meter 158
it should run. It may have to sided loaded at first. the only question is how well the user interface will work with a controller. It should be navigable if Sixaxis Controller and app are any indication.

elmerohueso
Old
Thanks Meter 115
I put Netflix on mine. Without changing the key mapping (which might interfere with games), the gamepad didn't work too well with Netflix. I had to just use the trackpad on the gamepad to use a mouse cursor.

0xScott
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerohueso View Post
I had to just use the trackpad on the gamepad to use a mouse cursor.
That's the method I'm using. It works fine in a pinch, but it's not nearly as good as Netflix for the Roku. I certainly hope they develop an Ouya version.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

CamelJR
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootsamurai View Post
I know we're just speculating about capabilities at this point, but does anyone know if the Ouya will be able to run the Netflix Android app? That would be a huge if it could.
The biggest problem I've noticed is the stream quality on Ouya. I've connected mine via Ethernet and (maybe others can confirm with Netflix) the stream seems very poor, especially on a large screen. For example, streaming Foxsoccer2go on highest quality on Ouya looks MUCH worse than running through my laptop -> hdmi port on the TV. Unless there is some kind of method to improve this, I would not recommend streaming on the Ouya.

brandogg
Old
Thanks Meter 81
It's because you're running a phone app. Newest Netflix streams 1080p, but needs Android 4.3.

PhyerFly
Old
Thanks Meter 13
I've heard that if you grab the Netflix APK that was released for the Google TV it's better, but I haven't personally confirmed yet

robinscp
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyerFly View Post
I've heard that if you grab the Netflix APK that was released for the Google TV it's better, but I haven't personally confirmed yet
It is easier to navigate but streaming is still choppy.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app