Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,077 Members 38,018 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Ad services in paid apps?

Tip us?

metaled222
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default Ad services in paid apps?

A popular photo editing program that lets you remove all restrictions by participating in a getjar points program or pay for the unlock key. I paid for the app, I think before they offered that other option. I am sure because this is the first I have heard of it. I never signed up through that app to use any 'get jar' service.
Anyhow, trying to figure out where my battery is going. Go into system /apps/running apps and it shows this editor running. It also shows that the getjar service was started by this app____ 64 hours ago!!!!

This service should not be running on my system without permission. My opinion. If I don't sign in or use it, it should not be running or sending any of my info. I paid for the app and the programmer is offering it to others if they use the getjar service instead of paying for it. Right? Does google have a policy on this, apps participating in marketing without the users permission?
I emailed the developer and used the "report" option in settings/apps since it may be a bug. I didn't want to mention it by name if it is not intentional. I can't imagine they intended it to run 65 hours... So it may be a bug. Either way... Didn't fc so it's still running... Doesn't. Show in the prog manager, so fc is the only way to stop it..
Ed B.
Current Android devices:

Samsung Tab 2 7.0
Samsung/Google Nexus 10
Kyocera c5155
Motorola MotoActv (watch)
Coby Kyros MID7015

technut
Old
(Last edited by technut; 19th February 2013 at 01:20 PM.)
Thanks Meter 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaled222 View Post
A popular photo editing program that lets you remove all restrictions by participating in a getjar points program or pay for the unlock key. I paid for the app, I think before they offered that other option. I am sure because this is the first I have heard of it. I never signed up through that app to use any 'get jar' service.
Anyhow, trying to figure out where my battery is going. Go into system /apps/running apps and it shows this editor running. It also shows that the getjar service was started by this app____ 64 hours ago!!!!

This service should not be running on my system without permission. My opinion. If I don't sign in or use it, it should not be running or sending any of my info. I paid for the app and the programmer is offering it to others if they use the getjar service instead of paying for it. Right? Does google have a policy on this, apps participating in marketing without the users permission?
I emailed the developer and used the "report" option in settings/apps since it may be a bug. I didn't want to mention it by name if it is not intentional. I can't imagine they intended it to run 65 hours... So it may be a bug. Either way... Didn't fc so it's still running... Doesn't. Show in the prog manager, so fc is the only way to stop it..
If you paid for the unlock key it should probably not be running the getjar stuff in the background. I thought that was the whole point of paid apps,to get rid of ads or whatever other stuff they are trying to run in the background? This is not good but I suppose in the end,apps are allowed to do whatever they want,run whatever they want and steal information from your phone whenever they want. Maybe Pdroid could help you out with this problem? A mod is probably going to move your post to Q&A