Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,666 Members 39,767 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to update to JB and keep root (Locked Bootloader)

Tip us?

_that
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfighterr View Post
Hello,
I have been able to get rooted JB to .16, but what process do I have to do to update to the latest?
I've been looking around and it said that it has to be sequential, so from .16 -> .18 -> .20 etc...
But exactly how do I do that?
After getting to .16, should I download the .18 dpkgfile and command file again and put it to /cache and /cache/recovery respectively then redo the boot process?
Or should I just do the OTA updates that asus sends out?
If you really get an OTA update from Asus after you downgraded (most people don't), then save the dlpkgfile from your /cache partition to a safe location, then apply it. If it takes you directly from .16 to .25, then upload the dlpkgfile for others to use, so they have a shortcut.

If you don't get OTAs, then you need to apply the incremental dlpkgfile updates one by one.

johnlgalt
Old
Thanks Meter 229
I'm doing that now - I'll adb pull the files from /cache after downgrading and then if it upgrades me directly to .25 I'll post back.

I doubt it though, I'm betting it will be incremental upgrades.

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

on 9.4.5.30 there is no cp binary - any other way to save the file before applying it?

johnlgalt
Old
(Last edited by johnlgalt; 12th March 2013 at 05:44 AM.)
Thanks Meter 229
OK, got the file. Confirmed 9.4.5.30 --> 10.4.4.25 Direct update.

Note: This is for US Eepad only!!!!

Uploading it now to my MF and 4Shared accts (MF is no longer paid, until I can scrounge up $$$, so I'll link both sites here - hopefully you'll be able to get it from at least one of them.

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

4Shared: http://www.4shared.com/zip/EjS5f1jE/..._to_10_4_.html

MF: http://www.mediafire.com/file/rtl34v...4_25_dlpkg.zip
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnlgalt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

byancey
Old
(Last edited by byancey; 10th April 2013 at 05:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlgalt View Post

Uploading it now to my MF and 4Shared accts (MF is no longer paid, until I can scrounge up $$$, so I'll link both sites here - hopefully you'll be able to get it from at least one of them.]
I just used this to direct update from 9.4.5.30 to 10.4.4.25 in one step and was able to successfully recover root using OTARootKeeper. Thanks for the upload johnlgalt! This was a great time saver.

--
Bryce

KinetiClutch
Old
Thanks Meter 63
thank you for this... Rooted earlier and couldnt get an OTA.

Just on .18 now.

So do I just keep doing this untill I can get an OTA or just keep going until the most recent?

Sed8ing
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlgalt View Post

Uploading it now to my MF and 4Shared accts (MF is no longer paid, until I can scrounge up $$$, so I'll link both sites here - hopefully you'll be able to get it from at least one of them.

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

4Shared: http://www.4shared.com/zip/EjS5f1jE/..._to_10_4_.html

MF: http://www.mediafire.com/file/rtl34v...4_25_dlpkg.zip
That is awesome! A few days late for me as I just did the incremental update from the beginning because I had to revert back to 9.4.5.30 because I changed the system files on the 23 version and couldn't do the incremental to 25, but next time it will be a lot easier with this file! Thanks!
VaelPak v2.2 FroYo 3.29.651.5 with Kings BFS8 Kernel
WOW This Signature is old but I will keep it for Nostalgia sake....

Now actually with a Goodness Reborn SGS3 and a stock rooted Asus Transformer Infinity...

KinetiClutch
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Hey just wanted to say.

I did this last night.

Went down to .16, .18, .20.

Left it overnight and then in the morning it had pushed OTA to .26. then upon restart OTA'd to the next then JB 4.2

Just in case try leaving it and seeing it it gets pushed over the course of 24 hours.

WW version. Thank you for your hard work.

buhohitr
Old
Thanks Meter 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by KinetiClutch View Post
Hey just wanted to say.

I did this last night.

Went down to .16, .18, .20.

Left it overnight and then in the morning it had pushed OTA to .26. then upon restart OTA'd to the next then JB 4.2

Just in case try leaving it and seeing it it gets pushed over the course of 24 hours.

WW version. Thank you for your hard work.
Seems like we can root while already on JB without the need of downgrade back to ICS. If you have balls, give it a try!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2228613

kyto
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Does anyone have the direct update file(dlpkgfile) from 10.4.4.25 to the last update (JB 4.2) US version available?

I delete some rom applications as root, and I have not gotten to appear OTA updates again (downgrade to ICS and incremental update don't work to me).

Thanks!

buhohitr
Old
Thanks Meter 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyto View Post
Does anyone have the direct update file(dlpkgfile) from 10.4.4.25 to the last update (JB 4.2) US version available?

I delete some rom applications as root, and I have not gotten to appear OTA updates again (downgrade to ICS and incremental update don't work to me).

Thanks!
What version on your device right now?