[Q] Unfortunately, Settings has stopped.

Search This thread

serpa4

May 2, 2010
I keep getting this several times a day. Usually when I do the pull down menu. I've flashed back to stock to fix it, rooted again, and it still there. Then after the update from VZW, reflashed the update with the unlock process. So two reflashes and it's still there.
It did not do this when the phone was new and just rooted till I started trying to add wifi toggle to the pull down notifications. I thought the two flashing methods would fix everthing but it seems not all files were updated.
What is the best way to get my phone back to stock, but need root. I'd like to flash back to factory and see if it goes away. If it does, I'd like to then root.

serpa4

May 2, 2010
Something is not right!

I just did this:
Section 1b: How to return to stock 4.1.1 Jelly Bean coming from any rom with Odin

Step 1: Download and install Odin3 from section 1a if you have not already done so.

Step 2: Download this stock VRALJB image and pit file to a windows based pc.

Official VRALJB 4.1.1 12/9/12- http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2040264(This will wipe data and return your device to factory stock like the day you purchased the device. Unlocked and Locked devices may use this to return to Factory Stock conditions! Also, folks currently on the latest L4 OTA only use the alternate restore file as it does not contain a bootloader!)

SCH-I605_16gb.Pit- http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?05cj895zu3tls7z

I have no memory card installed.
Step 3: Power device off, hold the volume down/home/power keys until you see a yellow triangle, then press the volume up key to access "odin or download mode".

Step 4: Open Odin and connect the oem usb cable from pc to device. The driver should automatically install( it did for me on windows 7 64bit). There should also be a "comport number" in upper left hand corner of Odin indicating communication between the pc & device.

Step 5: Click on the pit function of Odin and select the sch-i605-16gb.pit file.

Step 6: Click on the PDA function of Odin. Select the stock VRALJB image you downloaded in step 1, then select start. This operation should take less than 8 minutes before Odin will say pass/reset.

Step 7: Your device should boot back up into factory stock 4.1.1 android!

Well, it worked, have to log into google, setup account, screen tuturials are back, looks completely factory.
However, it just connected me to my home network without asking and it is password locked! How can this be a clean install if it is WPA/WPA2 PSK security and I never entered my password?
This cannot be a factory clean phone.

Please help.

Last edited:

jacampb2

Apr 21, 2012
Beaverton
www.rollmeover.com
Well, it worked, have to log into google, setup account, screen tuturials are back, looks completely factory.
However, it just connected me to my home network without asking and it is password locked! How can this be a clean install if it is WPA/WPA2 PSK security and I never entered my password?
This cannot be a factory clean phone.

Please help.

Google backs up your Wifi connections as well as contacts and apps and other BS. I've noticed the google restore of wifi settings to be a bit spotty, but I also found that google thinks I have numerous instances of the same devices, so I think that it starts to get confused. Anyhow, there is no witchcraft going on. After you log into your google account during setup, it downloads wifi ap's and then starts restoring the rest of what it can on wifi.

Later,
Jason

serpa4

May 2, 2010
Really, wifi backup. Would have never ever guessed that. Answers a few questions I had. Thanks. Guess my phone isn't spying on me:cyclops: