OP mulhiny

19th February 2013, 01:02 AM   |  #21  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Purgatory
Thanks Meter: 1,511

1,752 posts
Donate to Me
More
I've had about 4 soft bricks on phones I've had. I've never been unable to recover from them. emmc_recover (which is what racunhunter uses) is awesome! you just have to figure out what drive your phone is on via brickdetect.sh or some other script.
19th February 2013, 01:04 AM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 327

1,055 posts
More
Re: [Q] Are you S-Off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbmoyx

Usb 3.0 had the blue on the inside right? I think my laptop has 2-3.0 & 1-2.0.

Sent from my Blazing fast LTEvo!

Yeah but I don't know if it was usb3.0 causing the issue because I was able to almost done with all the steps when it pooped on me.
I moved everything to my home folder but the guys on irc said to leave everything in my downloads folder because that was the default directory so that may have something to do with it. Idk.
I htcdevunlocked on usb3.0 no problem

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app
19th February 2013, 02:00 AM   |  #23  
Flag Stratford, CT
Thanks Meter: 297

460 posts
More
Just to clear up a couple points:

32bit OS is required because fastboot and adb are only provided by Google as 32 bit binaries. Some 64bit systems (both linux and windows) include 32bit compatibility, BUT NOT ALWAYS. This is why some ppl have had success and others brick (requiring racunhunter). There is no easy way to determine if your 64bit OS has this compatibility included.

Sd-card: Officially, the HTC Evo 4g LTE only supports up to a 32gb sdcard. 64gb works, but may be hiding silent errors. Any errors encountered during s-off process can potentially cause a brick requiring, again, racunhunter. The 16gb limit is there to guarantee an error free experience.

USB 3.0: The Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 DOES NOT SUPPORT USB 3.0. Often usb 3.0 ports will function as usb 2.0 ports when connected to the phone... HOWEVER, the Linux USB 3.0 driver still has some bugs, especially when trying to operate in usb 2.0 (or lower) compatibility mode. (Go read through the kernel documentation, you'll see). Again, this requirement is for your benefit and not just something Team Unlimited randomly decided. Many connectivity problems unrelated to s-off have been noted due to USB 3.0.

RUU: you must RUU to ensure that nothing from the stock htc release has been altered. Very specific files must be found exactly as HTC distributed them.

Htc dev relock/unlock:
To RUU your hboot must first be locked. After you've run the RUU, dirtyracun needs the access granted by htc dec unlock to do it's thing. It may seem pointless to relock then unlock, but it's the only way.

All these requirements are there to ensure you have no problems trying to s-off. 99.9% of the ppl who brick attempting s-off are because they forgot or ignored a required step.

Don't be scared. Follow directions (ONLY THE DIRECTIONS ON THE unlimited.io WEBSITE) and you will be amazed at how smooth the whole process is.

-SLS-

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

Disclaimer:

I am in no way affiliated with Team Unlimited and nothing I posted here should be viewed as a communication from, or an endorsement by, Team Unlimited. The information above is based on my own knowledge of Linux, Windows, Qualcomm, HTC, Google (adb, fastboot) and any other topic mentioned.

The information above is provided solely for educational purposes, to help people understand why the requirements are needed. This is not a how-to, guide, or instructions of any kind.

-SLS-
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SouL Shadow For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th February 2013, 02:36 AM   |  #24  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 245

926 posts
More
SLS, fantastic post. Final.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
19th February 2013, 03:41 AM   |  #25  
Flag Gastonia, NC
Thanks Meter: 173

891 posts
More
I was on stock 3.16 and rooted using dirty racun and baby racun. Done it once on 32 bit Ubuntu got a soft brick. Done it twice on32 bit windows got soft bricks. Tried again on windows and finally got s off

19th February 2013, 03:47 AM   |  #26  
Flag Walton, KY
Thanks Meter: 97

387 posts
More
I'm too lazy to make a live cd.
19th February 2013, 04:41 AM   |  #27  
Flag Gastonia, NC
Thanks Meter: 173

891 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahj

I'm too lazy to make a live cd.

Google wubi. Its super easy

19th February 2013, 11:01 AM   |  #28  
Thanks Meter: 595

2,259 posts
So since I'm on 3.16 and the offical 3.16 RUU hasn't be released I am supposed to run the 3.15 RUU instead? Then this new BabyRacun thingamajigger? Also why don't they go into greater detail as to what this Abuntu program is? I've never heard of it which makes me iffy!

Last edited by xbmoyx; 19th February 2013 at 11:07 AM.
19th February 2013, 11:24 AM   |  #29  
Thanks Meter: 86

156 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbmoyx

So since I'm on 3.16 and the offical 3.16 RUU hasn't be released I am supposed to run the 3.15 RUU instead? Then this new BabyRacun thingamajigger? Also why don't they go into greater detail as to what this Abuntu program is? I've never heard of it which makes me iffy!

BabyRacun is for those like you who took the ota to 3.16. Not exactly sure but I think it sets up your phone so that the 3.15 RUU will work.
Ubuntu as a live cd is an OS that you run from a burned disc. You burn it, stick it in your computer, have it boot from disc, and choose to try ubuntu. It will leave your windows installation alone so when you are done using it, you just take the disc out and go straight back to your normal OS.
19th February 2013, 01:38 PM   |  #30  
Thanks Meter: 595

2,259 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilltheend714

BabyRacun is for those like you who took the ota to 3.16. Not exactly sure but I think it sets up your phone so that the 3.15 RUU will work.
Ubuntu as a live cd is an OS that you run from a burned disc. You burn it, stick it in your computer, have it boot from disc, and choose to try ubuntu. It will leave your windows installation alone so when you are done using it, you just take the disc out and go straight back to your normal OS.

This thread tells you how to get the live CD from a Usb thumb drive http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2142044 . I would rather use a burned disk as well what are the instructions to make a disk?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread