Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,482 Members 53,987 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] VPN - Access other countries' Play Store & download all the stuff you want

Tip us?

Geo1997
Old
(Last edited by Geo1997; 11th February 2014 at 09:32 PM.) Reason: Title
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 101
Default [GUIDE] VPN - Access other countries' Play Store & download all the stuff you want

How to Access Other Countries Google Play Store with a VPN App
This tutorial is based on merquise's one on S2 forum : [GUIDE] Access US or UK Google Play market through VPN, cmlx's and BC01 posts
Available in french (en français) on my website : ici

*** Last Update ***
11 february 2014 - Little things in the text - Viatun <= 2.3 unavailable
22 october 2013 - Tested with Play Store v4.3.11

*** NO ROOT Required ***
This thread can help people who are searching to access to the US or UK or whatever Google Play Store. You can download free or paid apps, music, films, books, blocked in your own Play Store country.

The advantage of this way of doing is that you will use a vpn server for some seconds only, and then your own internet connection which is more secured and rapid.

Problem :
Since february 2013, apps like Market Enabler (link to the apk) can't change the country of the Play Store. It seems that Google has disable this option.
Developers are currently working on this problem (Since there is no news on this side, I'm working on my own app to do that) :

Android VPN :
For the moment, you can change Play Store country with a VPN app.
VPN are gateway to access the internet from a server in another country. We could easily fake our phone connection to UK or US.
But the problem is that we don't really know if this distant server is well-secured.
So here is a way to fake our connection with the Google Play Store and caring less about security :

Download a VPN app (I add some informations about the free versions of this apps), you just need some MB :
- TunnelBear VPN - Free : US or UK, need to subscribe, 500MB/month (you can easily upgrate to 1G with a tweet)
- or Vpn One Click - Free : 17 countries, "no traffic limit"
- or Hotspot Shield VPN - Free : US?, "unlimited bandwith"
- or Hideman VPN - Free : 16 countries, 5h/week free
- or DroidVPN - Root needed - Free : US, need to subscribe, 100MB/day
- or Tigervpns VPN - Free : US or UK or JP, 100MB demo
- or VIATUN 4 VPN (Android 4.0 and up) - Free : many countries, need to subscribe, 3 days (1GB limit)

How-To :
- Start the app and launch the vpn (search for the country you want or US if you don't know).
- Go on the Google Play App.
- Press the "menu" button and choose "accounts", then press your account which you are currently using, and OK.
- Play Store will be re-loading and pop-up a confirmation window, says "By using Google Play, you agree to the ... ", just accept it and you can see a new Play Store without restriction.
- Turn OFF VPN
- Go back on Play Store, the status without restriction of Play Store can retain till next reboot of the app or of your device. You can download free or paid app.
You have to do again this process if you want to change again the Play Store country.

Careful : If you buy something on the Play Store or with your Google account, it may stay blocked on this country even if you try to clean everything.

FAQ :
# I don't find the button to change my account on Play Store 4.4.2.1
It looks like Google has removed this...
Although it seems that there is a button...
For the moment, we have to clear cache and data everytime...
When I will have time, I'll try to create an app for this

# I follow the instructions but it's not working :
- If you use a credit card, see the next tip
- Clear Google Play Store cache and data in settings. Try also to reboot your router.
- Verify that the vpn is working (see below)
- If it's still not working, remove your google account and put it back. Reboot your phone and your router. Then start the vpn, and then the play store

# I use a credit card and the store doesn't change its country :
- The most simple way is to create a second google account on your phone, without using a credit card. And with this account, try the VPN trick.
- If you use Google Wallet, you can try to change your adress and all your localization to another country. (tip from qbsti)
- Delete Creditcards (and Adress) in Wallet
Restart Mobile
Force Close the Play Store App and delete Cache and Data
Activate VPN
Open the store an accept the terms
Go to an Pay-App and click on buy
Insert your Creditcard infos (don't use the browser)
It should work now

# I don't know if the vpn is working :
- To verify if your vpn is working : go with a mobile browser on a website like http://www.hostip.fr and verify the country.
You can also note your ip before using the vpn. Then start the vpn, go again on the website, refresh the web page. The vpn works if the ip has changed.

# I've got a trust VPN, can I use it ? How ?
- If you've got a trust VPN, you can keep it permanent and you can directly add it in Android settings - More... - VPN

# Store's country has changed but I don't find paid apps or the one I search.
- If the market's country has changed but you still don't find an app, do a google search with your stock browser. It will ask you if you want to go by the browser or the Play Store. Choose Play Store. The app will open and you can download/buy the app.
- You can also use this app : Fetch, to search an app. It will then redirect you to the Play Store. (tip from xda's member skingg)

# I don't find the country I'm searching for the VPN :
- You can use one of this two tutorial : http://www.vpngate.net/en/howto_android.aspx with one VPN of this list : http://www.vpngate.net/en/. There is surely the country you're searching.
- You can also try to use OpenVPN : Open VPN (Play Store) and search for a VPN with this app : easyOVPn

# A video if you don't understand :

Don't forget the Thanks button when someone helps you.

My Androids :
Samsung Galaxy S3 (i9300), 4.4 - SlimRom build 3 Stable

Old :
Tablet NewPad K10
Motorola Quench XT5

Threads and apps:
Guide : VPN - Access other countries' Play Store & download all the stuff (apps, music, ebooks, movies) you want without root
App : LFTMApp
The Following 45 Users Say Thank You to Geo1997 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

namelok
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Thanks! Works like a charm
The Following User Says Thank You to namelok For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

boudokh
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thumbs up cool!

Thanks bro, it works!
The Following User Says Thank You to boudokh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ram_Bam_Sam
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default thank you

this thread needs to be promoted more. no root even required.

this is perfect, thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to Ram_Bam_Sam For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Geo1997
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 101
Default Re: [Guide]VPN - Access other countries' Play Store & download all the stuff you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram_Bam_Sam View Post
this thread needs to be promoted more. no root even required.

this is perfect, thank you
Thks
Yep I already try to promote it but I don't know what exactly to do. Maybe you can just press "Tip us?". We will see

Envoyé depuis mon GT-I9300

My Androids :

Old :
Tablet NewPad K10
Motorola Quench XT5

Threads and apps:
Guide : VPN - Access other countries' Play Store & download all the stuff (apps, music, ebooks, movies) you want without root
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geo1997 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jimbexley
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Not working for me :(

I used this methog with tunnelbear on my desktop, S3 and nexus 10 for months now, and it worked perfectly until about 2 weeks back. It now still doesnt work, it keeps going to my local play store, on desktop, phone or tablet, as if Google has decided i cant open any other store anymore. On the plus side, I can download my movies now without a VPN, that wasnt possible before.

Geo1997
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbexley View Post
I used this methog with tunnelbear on my desktop, S3 and nexus 10 for months now, and it worked perfectly until about 2 weeks back. It now still doesnt work, it keeps going to my local play store, on desktop, phone or tablet, as if Google has decided i cant open any other store anymore. On the plus side, I can download my movies now without a VPN, that wasnt possible before.
"I can download my movies now without a VPN" In which country are you living ? Maybe Google has opened its market to your area.

Yep, sometimes VPN is not working to change market country, so I wipe cache and data of the app, reboot my phone and my router, start vpn, and most of the time VPN works again

My Androids :

Old :
Tablet NewPad K10
Motorola Quench XT5

Threads and apps:

fatiherkoc
Old
Thanks Meter 12
i'll try it. thanks....

pancomido
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Not working in China. Still going back to crappy local store...

Geo1997
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancomido View Post
Not working in China. Still going back to crappy local store...
Can you give more information about your problem . VPN is enabled ?

My Androids :

Old :
Tablet NewPad K10
Motorola Quench XT5

Threads and apps:

The Following User Says Thank You to Geo1997 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
enabler, google, market, play store, vpn