How to Root Android Wear 5.0.1 Lollipop Devices – XDA TV

The Lollipop update for Android Wear devices has hit the market and people are … more

Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Observations: Photon Q Vehicle Dock

OP N1XRR

15th January 2013, 01:36 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 8

7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcire

Does the dock make the phone go in to vehicle mode? Is there a way to disable this so you can still fully operate the phone?

It does make it go into vehicle mode, but that doesn't change all that much. It just launches a custom launcher app with large horizontal icons and sets up bluetooth (if you want the app to do that) and audio-out to the dock. It also has a page of customizable launcher buttons, which is a big step up from other "Car Home" apps.

You can get back to the regular homescreen by just hitting the regular home button.

You could probably also use something like Tasker to customize what happens when you put it in the dock. (I use Tasker to explicitly launch the vehicle home app, because I want the audio out, *then* launch my audiobook app)
Last edited by zurvan2; 15th January 2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: customizeable launcher icons
17th February 2013, 01:31 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 3

7 posts
Has anyone tested mass storage access in the vehicle dock? Mine won´t work. The phone charges but the alpine headunit says no usb-device. With the same cable without the dock between the usb cable and the phone it works well.
19th February 2013, 05:03 PM   |  #13  
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 244

634 posts
Donate to Me
....i have tested it on sony radio - it works, but on blaupunkt no - no media detected
2nd May 2013, 11:56 PM   |  #14  
Flag South Elgin
Thanks Meter: 3

24 posts
More
I have had both the photon 4g and the lte with docks and i thought the old one was a bit better built but the new one does fit well. On mine whenever you hit the home button when in the dock it went to car home not your normal home screen but if you run a third party launcher you can change that. I noticed that the charger that comes with it doesnt always have enough juice to charge it if you are in an area of weak signal with gps running so i swapped the charger with a 2A one that i used for my tablet. Never have a problem now and my phone will go from 70% batter to almost full in my 30 min drive home from work.

Hope it helps.
3rd May 2013, 03:58 AM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 31

165 posts
I thought I might ask here before opening a new thread.... Anyone know what protective cases are compatible with the dock?

I (like many) prefer otterbox cases. But with my last phone the Otterbox case blocked the data connector to the vehicle dock.

Anyone tried the otterbox case with the dock? or any recommendations for other cases that ARE vehicle dock compatible?
3rd May 2013, 08:38 PM   |  #16  
Flag Chandler
Thanks Meter: 0

50 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pir8man

I thought I might ask here before opening a new thread.... Anyone know what protective cases are compatible with the dock?

I (like many) prefer otterbox cases. But with my last phone the Otterbox case blocked the data connector to the vehicle dock.

Anyone tried the otterbox case with the dock? or any recommendations for other cases that ARE vehicle dock compatible?

Ottorbox is very tight even without the adapter plate (taking it out allows for a fatter phone) and the rubber flap blocks the ports and you cant fold it back or it doesnt fit...

Sent from my XT897 using xda premium
4th May 2013, 08:32 AM   |  #17  
Tennessee/USA
Thanks Meter: 37

327 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordannon

On mine whenever you hit the home button when in the dock it went to car home not your normal home screen but if you run a third party launcher you can change that.

On the newest/JB build, there's actually 2 home buttons...the middle right one goes back to vehicle dock home, but you can press the one on the lower lefthand corner to go back to regular phone home.
15th May 2013, 06:26 AM   |  #18  
Flag Sioux City
Thanks Meter: 6

39 posts
More
I am thinking about getting this phone ,I saw I another thread that the droid 3 desk dock works well withthis phone ,so would the droid 3 car dock also work?

Sent from my Droid 3 using xda app-developers app
16th June 2013, 10:37 PM   |  #19  
Flag Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 1

11 posts
More
Can anyone tell me if this dock's ability to launch the "car mode" is available in custom ROMs like CyanogenMod? I.e. is there custom software needed to enable this functionality, or is it part of stock Android?
17th June 2013, 01:24 AM   |  #20  
Recognized Developer
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 3,475

1,449 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedraca

Can anyone tell me if this dock's ability to launch the "car mode" is available in custom ROMs like CyanogenMod? I.e. is there custom software needed to enable this functionality, or is it part of stock Android?

The ability is there, the car mode is detected and signalled properly in CM10.1, but there is no car home/launcher app installed as part of pure AOSP/CM jellybean system installation - you have to install some car home app from play market so it's launched automatically when the phone enters the car dock.

The Following User Says Thank You to kabaldan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread