5,595,126 Members 44,607 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Solving the thermal problems of HD2 or other snapdragon powered devices

Tip us?

zaaaan
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Can you pleaseexplain me the steps to make heat sink foor HTC hd2.need it urgently

whhich metal.whic resin to use

GRudolf94
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Not long ago I bought a quite beaten HD2, TMoUS. Glass adhesive gone loose, screen dirty from the inside, phone had been opened and badly fixed already. Guess what? No thermal pad over the EMI shields. Here's what I found: you can remove the board from the phone, place a thermal pad of the same greenish-blue kind usually found between the HD2's case and board (pad can be found inside dead laptops) between the CPU and metal shield. Then place another pad between shield and front frame. Put board back in. Place more pads between board and back case. Close it, you're done :grin:

Just as a side note: my phone, even though badly assembled, wasn't overheating. I also found that this works for Nexus One and Desire, those two also put out a lot of heat, and both share the same board.

Sent from my Nexus One using xda app-developers app
Phone #1: LG P920 (Optimus 3D), changing ROMs
Phone #2: Milestone B (A953 in A853 shell), stock Moto crap (broken volume buttons, no flashing )
Tab #1: Nexus 7, 2012, WiFi+16GB
Tab #2: Asus EeePad Transformer TF101, stock ICS (broken USB cable, need new one :P )

Test phones: Several

Others: Over 50 WinMo/android/Symbian/other devices in this short life of mine

zaaaan
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Smile experiment with hd2

Me too was facing HTC hd2 themal problems...
What I did today was
I just put toothpaste on the metal part on the PCB..and a copper foil on it...
till now. No freezes no reboots ...
lets see it in long term run....

zaaaan
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRudolf94 View Post
Not long ago I bought a quite beaten HD2, TMoUS. Glass adhesive gone loose, screen dirty from the inside, phone had been opened and badly fixed already. Guess what? No thermal pad over the EMI shields. Here's what I found: you can remove the board from the phone, place a thermal pad of the same greenish-blue kind usually found between the HD2's case and board (pad can be found inside dead laptops) between the CPU and metal shield. Then place another pad between shield and front frame. Put board back in. Place more pads between board and back case. Close it, you're done :grin:

Just as a side note: my phone, even though badly assembled, wasn't overheating. I also found that this works for Nexus One and Desire, those two also put out a lot of heat, and both share the same board.

Sent from my Nexus One using xda app-developers app
where i can get this in dead laptops.by the way,i recently got some heat sink compound (white color)..and another one in sliver.which one to use?can i use this???? if yes then where to apply?

GRudolf94
Old
(Last edited by GRudolf94; 1st January 2013 at 02:40 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Remove the CPU cooler, should find these slippery, rubbery pads on top of some components. Usually found in HP laptops, lots of them which had AMD CPUs failed easily, and they have this stuff inside. Can be found cheaply. Don't use thermal paste inside the phone, as it gets messy. The silver one is better, but still, inappropriate for use in a phone. I see you're using a Nexus One. You want to apply thermal pads between the QSD8250 chip on the rear side of the board (under metal shield, careful, shields held by copper tape) and the metal shield covering the QSD8250. Put a pad between the metal shield and the phone's display. Careful there, a pad too thick will force the display and break it. Last one, put a pad between the MicroSD slot and the aluminum frame of the phone. There already is a small pad there. Remove it.

Sent from my LG-P768 prototype
Phone #1: LG P920 (Optimus 3D), changing ROMs
Phone #2: Milestone B (A953 in A853 shell), stock Moto crap (broken volume buttons, no flashing )
Tab #1: Nexus 7, 2012, WiFi+16GB
Tab #2: Asus EeePad Transformer TF101, stock ICS (broken USB cable, need new one :P )

Test phones: Several

Others: Over 50 WinMo/android/Symbian/other devices in this short life of mine

butterfly666
Old
(Last edited by butterfly666; 18th February 2013 at 09:55 PM.) Reason: spell check
Thanks Meter 2
Nice one mate. In a couple of days I will recieve a hd2 with heat issiue as well. I will try the above stept with the pads maybe.

To be continued

tooAlive
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Man, great info on here!

I'm especially curious about your mention to use the oven. It's actually not too uncommon to place dead computer components in the over for a bit to fix broken solder points by reflowing them.

Curious to see how this turns out for you.

butterfly666
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Tried it with the pads but no go...

pataro
Old
(Last edited by pataro; 9th March 2013 at 09:01 PM.) Reason: mistake typing
Thanks Meter 0
Smile Ideos S7 105 baked and works

Yesterday I baked in the kitchen oven the motherboard of my Huawei Ideos S7 105, and now almost every thing is working. Reboots and hangs finished!!!!!!
I've read the entire thread and recognice the problems I was suffering since a year ago.
So, better baked than bricked
But the oven fixed the problem.
Only colateral damage in one speaker, maybe due to a incorrect rebuild.
Its working fine with GPS, Google maps and every thing.
Before cooking it was only able to do hard work inside the freezer, for example load the last room.
Difficult unmounting the motherboard, specially screen connector, same as remounting.
Work in the oven was 10 min at 100 C and 5 min at 250 C, then natural cooling, half hour.
Rom ideos. s7 froyo from joenilan
thanks to all

psytr0nic
Old
Thanks Meter 29
I read it once more yesterday , how usfull it is, I learned few things yesterday ...