No registration required

SD Card Unexpectedly Removed

OP OwenW71

19th February 2013, 10:46 PM   |  #171  
Flag NE Florida
Thanks Meter: 117

529 posts
More
I have 3 different 32GB MicroSD cards -- Kingston Class 4, Patriot Class 4, and SanDisk UHS Class 10 (red/grey). I also have the Note 2 and my wife has the S3.

The problem seems to be a combination of Samsung's MicroSD slot and SanDisk's super thin MicroSD cards. Both the Patriot and Kingston 32GB MicroSD cards are noticeably thicker (almost 2x) and both fit more firmly in my Note 2' and S3's MicroSD slots.

I also have the same problem when using only the SanDisk MicroSD card in my multi-slot card reader. I get card not inserted errors as well as cyclical redundancy errors, misc write errors, etc. This card reader was not cheap and I paid good money for it because I use it for semi-pro digital photography -- I cannot have a card reader messing up my photos. I purchased my SanDisk MicrosSD card with a full sized SD adapter (just because that's the one that was the best deal). Guess what -- the SanDisk MicroSD card formats, reads, and writes perfectly fine when using the full sized SD adapter in the same card reader. Neither the Patriot nor Kingston MicroSD cards will fit in the SanDisk full-sized SD adapter, so clearly this SD adapter's slot is specifically designed for the significantly thinner SanDisk MicroSD cards.

So, I think the problem is that SanDisk made their newer MicroSD cards too thin, so they're not making constant, proper contact inside Samsung's card slots (and my card reader). My Acer A500 tablet has a better designed card slot so (at least so far) the SanDisk MicroSD card isn't giving me any problems in it. Likewise, my Patriot Class 4 card that's now in my Note 2 is not exhibiting any of these problems because it's a thicker card so my Note 2 (so far) seems happier with it.

Anyway, that's my current theory. I wonder if there are any other memory manufacturers who thinning up their card designs? So far, it's just been SanDisk that I've encountered this. Seems like most of the people here on this thread are also having problems with just the SanDisk cards.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to internetpilot For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th February 2013, 10:01 AM   |  #172  
Flag Sarajevo
Thanks Meter: 4

39 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by internetpilot

I have 3 different 32GB MicroSD cards -- Kingston Class 4, Patriot Class 4, and SanDisk UHS Class 10 (red/grey). I also have the Note 2 and my wife has the S3.

...... I wonder if there are any other memory manufacturers who thinning up their card designs? So far, it's just been SanDisk that I've encountered this. Seems like most of the people here on this thread are also having problems with just the SanDisk cards.

Hey guys, I can now definitely confirm the above post. On monday I experienced the same problems with my Note II not recognising the card anymore, I thought the 32 GB SanDisk card was a goner and wanted to throw it away. Also tried it in other phones with no luck. The card could be recognised in other phones, but there was still an error report.

This morning I gave it a last try on my PC and inserted the Micro SD in a multi-card reader (a very cheap one I bought on eBay). It' has also a big slot for the Trans flash memory so the card wasn't recognised again. But than I pluged the card in through a SD card adapter and it was immediately recognised. I could back up all the data from the card and also did a quick format (exFAT) with 1024 kB AFU. After that I moved the backed up data to the card again.
Now the card works just fine. I will follow this up and report the status in the next weeks if this is confirmed to be the definitive sollution.

Just in case, I activated the Protect SD card option and also inserted a tiny piece of paper into the card slot with the card itself, so it fits better and is not loose anymore. If one looks closer, the card slot on the Note II is really somewhat bigger than the thin San Disk card itself (maybe not all San Disk memory cards are that thin, so this may not apply to all the people out there), so my guess is that the card was displaced. I have an ugly habbit of throwing my phone on the sofa after coming from work, so it could be from those bumps to the case when the card was displaced.

I hope this information helps other people solve their problems. Just try the card in different card readers or through a SD card adapter and it should solve the problem, if the card is not already damaged in some way.
Last edited by TirAnasazi; 20th February 2013 at 10:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TirAnasazi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th February 2013, 06:22 PM   |  #173  
Thanks Meter: 51

524 posts
been using the samsung 64gb here without problems.
20th February 2013, 07:02 PM   |  #174  
Flag Bay City, MI
Thanks Meter: 14

126 posts
More
Mines been doing the same thing not only when comming from sleep but after I get a phone call. Willing to try the paper trick but doesnt make sense if its not touching why only the problem when sleeping or phone call. I hope there is a solution in sight.
20th February 2013, 08:53 PM   |  #175  
Thanks Meter: 44

203 posts
More
Re: SD Card Unexpectedly Removed
Quote:
Originally Posted by TirAnasazi

inserted a tiny piece of paper into the card slot with the card itself, so it fits better and is not loose anymore.

Hi
So far so good for me since a few hours with this trick.
It looks like it's the solution. I'm gonna post in a few days if it's better or the same.

I used 2 layers of post it cut to the size of the chip on the card itself

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium
Last edited by laloutre; 20th February 2013 at 09:14 PM.
22nd February 2013, 09:36 AM   |  #176  
Thanks Meter: 1

7 posts
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by internetpilot

The problem seems to be a combination of Samsung's MicroSD slot and SanDisk's super thin MicroSD cards. Both the Patriot and Kingston 32GB MicroSD cards are noticeably thicker (almost 2x) and both fit more firmly in my Note 2' and S3's MicroSD slots.

Seems like the root cause might have been found and not because of the memory capacity. Did you buy this type of SanDisk MicoSD (red and grey colour in the front of the memory card) too? Can other forumers verify if this similiar design is causing the error?
The picture link is as follow (Sorry cant post pictures);

i.ebayimg.com/t/SanDisk-Mobile-Ultra-Class10-32GB-microSD-micro-SDHC-UHS-I-U1-Flash-Memory-Card-/00/s/ODAwWDgwMA==/$(KGrHqF,!qcE-+kNsFHbBP+obT8,Dw~~60_3.JPG --> Please copy and paste this link as new USERS cannot insert direct links after 10 posts

Just to justify that it is the thickness problem and not due to the memory capacity, have anyone tried the similiar model for SANDISK but not 32GB Class 10? Perhaps 16GB Class 10 or similiar SANDISK design as mentioned above with error too?

We are close to narrowing down the root cause. Cheers
22nd February 2013, 03:44 PM   |  #177  
Thanks Meter: 44

203 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by laloutre

Hi
So far so good for me since a few hours with this trick.
It looks like it's the solution. I'm gonna post in a few days if it's better or the same.

I used 2 layers of post it cut to the size of the chip on the card itself

Unfortunately and despite a few hours without trouble, after 2 days of testing, the problem is still present
Despite various sizes thikness and shapes of paper... I don't understand why it worked for a few hours, but now the problem is still present.
BTW just an idea, my new guess is there is something related to card's sleep or phone's deep sleep.
During all my tests I never saw the dreaded message appear while using the phone.
It did not happened neither while listening to music/video with screen off (my music was stored on the Sandisk card)
But I saw it each time I left alone the phone for even a few minutes.

My guess is there*may not be bad removal as long as a process is reading the card.

The Following User Says Thank You to laloutre For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd February 2013, 09:29 PM   |  #178  
Flag Sarajevo
Thanks Meter: 4

39 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by laloutre

Unfortunately and despite a few hours without trouble, after 2 days of testing, the problem is still present
Despite various sizes thikness and shapes of paper... I don't understand why it worked for a few hours, but now the problem is still present.
BTW just an idea, my new guess is there is something related to card's sleep or phone's deep sleep.
During all my tests I never saw the dreaded message appear while using the phone.
It did not happened neither while listening to music/video with screen off (my music was stored on the Sandisk card)
But I saw it each time I left alone the phone for even a few minutes.

My guess is there*may not be bad removal as long as a process is reading the card.

Same here. After I've been good for a day, the problems started again. This time I'm seeing a different message though, and also only after waking the phone from sleep.

Well I ordered a 16 GB genuine Samsung card and will find a different use for this 32 GB from SanDisk. Hopefully some fix will be available in the future (if it is software related). A shame for such a phone because this is not a small issue.
23rd February 2013, 01:00 AM   |  #179  
Flag Bay Area, CA
Thanks Meter: 246

1,928 posts
More
Just recently happened to me on my att note 2 running cleanrom, i have the 32gb sandisk one thats grey and red. Looks like im gonna have to buy a new card and keep that one for another phone.
23rd February 2013, 07:29 AM   |  #180  
Flag Austin
Thanks Meter: 828

3,229 posts
More
Having no issues 64gb class 10 formatted fat 32

Sent By An Idiot With A Phablet!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread