5,599,911 Members 45,912 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ROOT for Razr HD

Tip us?

biKF
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Crazy hacker,

You should really read the previous couple of posts. In post #248 I point out that I had a similar problem. Did you try to use Matt's Root Recovery script?

If you havent, Follow the link to a post of mine in the General section of this forum where I explain how I got back root using this script.

chgrbt
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Root Restore when root is incomplete after JB update OTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by biKF View Post
I had a similar problem when I received the OTA JB update. I had used the "OTA JB Root Protection" method that was added to the first post in this thread. It didn't work as described for me, and others have had a "1/2 re-rooted" phone on JB.

I found that using Matt's Root Restore script fixed my problem and I root on stock JB coming fom stock (rooted) ICS without using CWM or unlocking my bootloader. My process was outlined in this post:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=136

It's helped a couple of other so far. I've done nothing new, just following the OP in this thread and saved my system with Matt's work. Kudos to them for there hard work getting us to this point!
The "Matt Root Restore" process worked for me. I was glad to read biKF's post and save my root after upgrading to JB. I had tried upgrading OTA after using Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, and I ended up with a "1/2 rooted JB". I found the SU backup in the /system/usr directory, and assume that's what we mena when we say 1/2 rooted. It might be because when I used OTA Rootkeeper, after making a backup of SU with Rootkeeper, I didn't do the next step of "temporarily hiding root". Afterwards I read somewhere someone saying that you had to do that extra step in order to protect root going from ICS to JB over the air. I don't plan to test that theory now that I'm on JB. Hopefully someone confirms that doing the 2 steps in VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper is successful in going from ICS 4.04 up to JB over the air.
Device: Motorola RAZR HD LTE XT925
Carrier: Rogers & Bell
Old friends: HTC Diamond, Motorola (XT615, Defy+, RIZR Z8, Krzr K1, V3, Startac, V60c)
The Following User Says Thank You to chgrbt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GoClifGo05
Old
Thanks Meter 338
Default Re: ROOT for Razr HD

The proper steps are

Root
Voodoo backup root
Voodoo temp unroot
OTA update
Voodoo restore root.

You always have to temporarily unroot after you protect and before you upgrade or its pointless.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
"She leans into me and I keep my arms around her. I don't fool myself that I hold her together -- She does that on her own -- But holding her keeps me from flying apart."

Moto X DE
Nexus 7 - Grouper
Retired: Droid RAZR HD XT926 Developer Edition / Droid X2

dinkoh
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoClifGo05 View Post
The proper steps are

Root
Voodoo backup root
Voodoo temp unroot
OTA update
Voodoo restore root.

You always have to temporarily unroot after you protect and before you upgrade or its pointless.

What's the difference between this and using DROID RAZR HD Utility 1.10?

GoClifGo05
Old
Thanks Meter 338

The utility just has everything is one place and you don't need RSD Lite.

"She leans into me and I keep my arms around her. I don't fool myself that I hold her together -- She does that on her own -- But holding her keeps me from flying apart."

Moto X DE
Nexus 7 - Grouper

indyfan
Old
(Last edited by indyfan; 19th February 2013 at 09:58 PM.) Reason: typo
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
I had a similar problem when I received the OTA JB update. I had used the "OTA JB Root Protection" method that was added to the first post in this thread. It didn't work as described for me, and others have had a "1/2 re-rooted" phone on JB.

I found that using Matt's Root Restore script fixed my problem and I root on stock JB coming fom stock (rooted) ICS without using CWM or unlocking my bootloader. My process was outlined in this post:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=136

It's helped a couple of other so far. I've done nothing new, just following the OP in this thread and saved my system with Matt's work. Kudos to them for there hard work getting us to this point!
Matt's Restore Root script worked for me too. So happy I didn't have to reload everything. Thank you for sharing this.

agentj642
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
Matt's Restore Root script worked for me too. So happy I didn't have to reload everything. Thank you for sharing this.
Quote:
Okay, it will be rather simple since I only did a couple of steps:

~Snip~

Does this help?

Did it work for anyone else?
I have a VZW xt926 with 4.1.1, and lost root during the OTA update because I forgot to temp unroot. I still had Superuser installed the whole time I was not rooted (I guess I was half-rooted). So I been reading XDA for last few weeks, and today I came across this post and decided to try the restore root script posted here and to my surprise, I am now fully rooted again!!! All I did was run the script after extraction, (of course with the prerequisites... usb drivers installed, Debugging enabled, etc.) When the script ran it said it could not find a backup of SU or SuperSU (not unusual b/c I removed it long ago) but installed the copy of SuperSU that was included in the package. After it finished, phone rebooted and all was well again. However I didn't want conflicts between the two SU apps so I froze, not uninstall, SuperSU using Root Uninstaller. So far no problems.

Thank you for finding this info and posting it. There isn't enough thanks I can express in this post to show how much I really appreciate it!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-02-22-10-58-03.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	1751972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-02-22-11-10-41.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1751973  
The Following User Says Thank You to agentj642 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

flying_dutchman
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Hi,

Tried the restore script myself and worked as well! Bingo, rooted again!!!

Thanks!
codefireX ROM rules! ..... until I changed to the Motorola Razr HD

HTC Touch (windows mobile)
HTC Desire HD ("coma" unfortunately....)
Motorola Razr HD

swbf2lord
Old
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME

Anyway to root directly from Jelly Bean?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Current Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Previous Device(s): Samsung Omnia, Motorola Droid 1, Motorola Droid 3, Motorola Droid X2, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Sony Ericsson Xperia Play, Motorola Droid RAZR, HTC Trophy, Samsung Fascinate, Droid RAZR MAXX, HTC 8X, Motorola Droid RAZR HD
Current Tablet(s): Motorola Xoom
Previous Tablet(s): Acer Iconia Tab A100

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffStuff
Trading Phones Is A Disease

GoClifGo05
Old
Thanks Meter 338

XT926 = no (except for developer edition) XT925 = yes.

Moto X DE
Nexus 7 - Grouper

Tags
droid, motorola, razr, razr hd, root